Power ideas.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TokyoDeity, Aug 17, 2022.

1. TokyoDeity New Player

Ok so I was thinking of what powers the game can add. Maybe with the help of the dcuo community we can discuss how they can work or what abilities they can have. Here are my powers suggestions:
    Wind (control)
    Black/white lantern (Heal)
    Elastic (Tank)
    Blue lantern (Heal)
    Source Energy (Heal?)

I thought of necromancy as a control pet power but I’m not exactly sure how that would would with abilities.
    • Like x 1
  2. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Please don't think I'm trying to be rude. There have been multiple threads about new power ideas, including all that you've banned except the source one.

At this point, I'm willing to bet that the devs have some pretty solid ideas of what the community is wanting, and probably some ideas of what they're capable of producing for new powers.
  3. TokyoDeity New Player

Yeah well I soo wanted to make a thread of my own because I would like people to draw out ideas how the powers would work.
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

When they design powersets they take a particular class or subclass from the fantasy genre as a base and remarket that into DC inspired superpowers. For example Nature is based on a Druid class, Gadgets is based on a Tech Ninja class, Rage is based on a Berserker class, different flavors of Mage playstyles can be seen in Ice, Fire, Water, Electric, etc.

And there have been a lot of repeated suggestions over the years especially with the ones you've listed. There has to be hundreds of Blue Lantern threads on these forums. What I haven't seen is anyone suggest a particular class that they enjoyed playing and try to translate it into a DCUO powerset. For example you mentioned Necromancer and there's a lot of fun options from D&D I can think of (other than the obvious raising dead) that could translate into a Faust-inspired Control powerset.
  5. TokyoDeity New Player

Yeah I do understand that quite frankly. Personally I don’t think we should do blue lanterns. I just brought it up because a lot of people want it. Personally I see white/black lantern power being a better healing power in the manner. They can make it white lanterns for heroes and black lanterns for villains. I can also see power skins being helpful to the up roar in demand for new powers for a bit. But I do again understand where you coming from
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They've already stated that Black or White Lantern powerset would never happen. Those two particular groups are overpowered and based on DC lore do not align the same as our heroes and villains.
  7. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Since Metamorpho is in the game a powers based on him would be interested. It would be something like alchemy.

No Metal Men yet but we do have Will Magnus. So how about a Metal Men power set where each ability is based on one of the characters.
  8. Ergotth Committed Player

Why not Star Sapphire (Violet Lanterns) as the Healer Power? Their moral compass allow both heroes and villains to wield it, healing with the power of Love seems thematicaly fitting (you do want the well-being of those you love) and their unique ability of crystallization makes the power all the more unique apart of Light and Rage already. Heck, I wrote an entire powerset of Love somewhere in this forum xD The only change I would do now would be give it a large summoning circle similar to Water and Sorcery to balance out the Burst and Summoner healers (we got 3 of the former and 2 of the later).

That aisde, Wind/Air does fit perfectly for Controller, as well as Sound/Music. I also though of the idea of Ghost powers, loosely inspired by the likes of Danny Phantom, but bringing it closer to DC, we have Gentleman Ghost and Deadman aside from many sorcerers who controlled the dead somehow. I feel like this woulkd make a good Tank power if the mechanic is that you become intangible to avoid damage, similar to how tanks put up a shield or a damage-reducing aura. And things like Ghostly hands and Poltergeists to do the Crowd Control and even using "frostbite" as the status condition as if you're inducing chills down your enemy and the cold of the dead or burned if you're using ghostly and wispy flames.

And I revisited the old idea of the Serums power that would be a tank rather than Atomic and though "why not a healer? You inject your allies with medicine, spray concoctions in the air, make puddles of acidic mixtures..." basicaly think of the Pharmacist, Alchemist, etc, using all sorts of chemicasl to heal or harm, inspired by those like Chemo, Joker, Scarecrow... Plus, it would be nice to finally have a power that also have the firebreath Bizarro uses xD Like you just drank some flammable mixture and now you spit it out and combusts.
    • Like x 1
  9. Wallachia Devoted Player

TBH a wind power could "complete" the elemental powers somehow.

Personally, I would be all up for a musical power, it would easily become my main toon. A good power to release would be like a super brawler. I mean, we have kryptonians already, and every single superman knockoff already uses flight powers anyways.
  10. Ergotth Committed Player

A Music/Sound Power would definitely need some creativity within the sound effects too! Like a sonic scream that could be a really loud operatic note (Tenor or Soprano depending on your hero's gender), clapping your hands and making the sound of cymbals, musical notes that make a flurry of strings or flutes, not to mention we do have some really good music-themed attacks in the game already with Pied Piper and Death Metal batman.
  11. Doctor England New Player

My power ideas if we ever did get any more

Tank- Starbolts, obviously inspired by Starfire and Blackfire

Healer- Sonics, inspired by Black Canary and Silver Banshee

Troll- Shadows, inspired by Shadow Lass and the Shade
  12. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

It’s cool yo fantasize about what powers they could have done.

But they will never ever make another power set.

I’ll happily be wrong about this, but I guarantee they will
    Never release new powers ever again.
  13. DarkGodArkahn Level 30

them ideas horrible how tf does a death related power translate to healer black lantern should only be a tank power white a healer yes because its life related blue lantern healer yes because its based on hope wind no wind powers cannot give others powers or heal others so thats another tank power necromancer as troll doesn't make any sense its necro not light so thats another tank power elastic could be good and very interesting for a tank power source no thats a troll power based on how its actually supposed to be and you welcome also for the guy who said the devs said black and white lantern wouldn't happend because devs said it would be too powerful is false if thats the case by logic to how some of these powers the post maker said such as source def wouldn't happend because its way stronger then both plus some of the necro based characters in dc makes necro def not possible because it has potential to surpass every other power on this list especially if its black magic related
  14. Ergotth Committed Player

Celestial is technicaly the closest to necromancy you can get, since the whole power revolves about souls, spirits, purifying and cursing, very dark magic/light magic stuff.

As for me, I had this fun idea for a healer power:

SERUMS
    Basicaly I'm recycling what was gonna be a Tank power based on Bane, but changing it to a chemical healer power based on those like Chemo and any other heroes who are chemists, pharmacists, alchemist...

Core mechanics:
    • Summoning, similar to Water and Sorcery (and to balance out the Burst x Summoning healer balance).
    • Reactions: Some skills will give allies and/or enemies auras that will react differently to other skills.
    Example of skills
    • Regenerative Fog
      • Deploy a canister that sprays a wide area with healing fumes to reconstruct yourself and allies back to full health. (Similar to Solace of the Sea and Circle of Protection. To differentiate, the center of this area will be placed about 10ft in front of the caster)
    • Medicinal Infection
      • Inject into your bloodstream an evaporating concoction that repairs your vital functions. Allies within range are healed and spread to nearby allies. (Similar to Electricity's "Electrogenesis" but with less potency but bouncing from ally to ally.)
    • Tissue Theft
      • blast your enemy with a cloud of nanites to deconstruct his flesh and bone and use it to reconstruct allies. (Damage the enemy while spreading a small HoT to allies within range). Allies afflicted with Medicinal Infection gain the "Protective Toxins" aura. Enemies afflicted by Noxious Infection spread the aura to nearby enemies. Medicinal Infection is consumed.
        • Protective Toxins: Damage taken is reduced. Once depleted, a small HoT is applied.
    • Mass Experimentation
      • Heal yourself and up to 7 allies in a strong burst of regenerative fumes. Allies with HP below 50% are shielded from further damage. (the classic "oh ****!" heal with an added twist).
    • Shared Therapy - Group heal
      • Allies afflicted with Medicinal Infection are refreshed of the Aura.
      • Tap Range for a second cast for 70% of the heal on you and 7 other allies.
    • Injection - Priority heal
      • Healed ally gain Medicinal Infection
    • Like x 1
  15. Ergotth Committed Player

COMAS dude! They are not only found in a hospital!!!

Also, Wind totally serves as a Troll power, using blasts of air, currents and controlling air pressure makes perfect crowd control. And perhaps increasing oxygen to allies is how you give power.
  16. DarkGodArkahn Level 30

i could correct you as well but not worth the time and argue so i'll put this yes you could use wind to provide cc's and air blast attacks but i researched wind cannot give others powers in any sort of way or heal so no instead of wasting time developing it as a power just use all its abilities as new movement abilities for every movement including superspeed or new iconics it'll be perfect with earth tanking in certain instances Mr Professor
  17. Ergotth Committed Player

oh, we have powers that control friggin SPACE AND TIME and pulling a machine gun, rail gun and a friggin' BAZOOKA out of thin air, Healing wounds by eletrocution and tanking damage by burning yourself, but using Wind to give power is where you drawn the line?
  18. DarkGodArkahn Level 30

Woah professor calm down and you wonder why i avoid your classes you always get angry this another good reason to skip your classes or sleep during them yeah yeah ik you'll fail me once you know who i am and continuously single me out BTW Being very funny
  19. Ryu Runner New Player

I would like for them to make source energy as a power and while they make it into damge also make it into a healer
  20. Chibi Panda New Player

How about... Vampiric Powerset?

Here are some reasons why it could be a great addition:
    1. This powerset offers immense possibilities and versatility.
    As a tank, it can redefine survivability by utilizing vampiric mechanics to evade damage. Picture this: instead of simply absorbing hits, this brand of tank could transform into a swarm of bats upon every hits, briefly avoiding damage (think of it like phasing out or de-materializing). These abilities would be timing-based, granting a short window of automatic damage evasion per hit once activated (like for 3-5 seconds?). Of course, it has a cooldown to prevent spamming. So choosing when to use it is crucial. (And maybe you can move around freely while bat swarm form).

Also, to avoid getting melted when making mistakes in timing, some buffs can grant short i-frame, or a buff that can deflect damage for few hits (Immortality abilities must have power interactions too). And there could be creative ways for this powerset to taunt and attract aggro too.

Alternatively, as a troll, it can use minion summoning or creature transformations to control the battlefield, or mind-controlling adds temporarily turning them into minions. Swarm of vampiric insects can be used to debuff adds and inject powers back to teammates.

As a healer, it can use the swarm of bats to steal health from enemies to heal teammates and self. Or it can sacrifice some of its HP (blood) to give temporary i-frame to a single ally.

As a DPS, well, just let your imagination run wild.

Regardless of the specific role(s) the devs would assign to this powerset, whether it's a specialized class, or they decide to make it into hybrid class—an all-rounder but requiring higher skill ceiling to use decently—I'm certain it'll be a fun addition, if not add an exciting dimension to the game.

2. Vampires have been ingrained in DC lore for quite some time, featuring prominently in DC comics with notable characters like Starbreaker, Mary (Queen of Blood), Cain (considered the father of vampires), and Andrew Bennett, among others. These creatures have quietly coexisted alongside humanity in the DC universe, and occasionally crosses path with DC characters.

And if you haven't known yet, there's also a DC comic storyline titled "DC vs. Vampires." In the book, the change in leadership also changed the policy in the vampire society and their relationship with humanity—no more living in secrecy, time to rule. You might expect that DC heroes/villains stomped the vampires, but nothing can be further than the truth. What happened there, most if not all of the Justice League and various villains are either dead, turned, or trying to avoid detection after the vampires dominated and practically won, plunging the planet into perpetual night.

A bit of spoilers in that story: Superman got turned (Batman's mistake) and he ended up serving the vampire cause to take over. Kinda lucky or unlucky for him, the Earth's skies went dark, blocking out the sun. So, what do you reckon would happen if he tries to soak up some sun to recharge his powers? ;D

My point is, this powerset / class is supported by lore, not an alien concept pulled out outside DC.

Finally, if the existing DCUO powerset are based on other MMO classes (Rage=Berserker, Celestial=High Priest/ess, Nature=Druid, Gadget=Rogue/Ninja, etc.), vampire class can be considered... Warlock Assassin???

Anyway, I believe it fits with what DCUO is going for.

3. As for outfit styles, you probably won't have any shortages to match. The devs could even create more vampire-inspired styles / aura / materials if they wish to add to their cash flow.

And it doesn't matter what movement type you have. May it be flight, superspeed, acrobat, or skimming, it'll still connect nicely with a vampire character.

Besides, the devs could just practically reuse the same casting animation for abilities. What's new are the visual and sound effects coming from it. In other words, the eye-candy presentation is part of this powerset package.

This idea is just on the top of my head, and it may need some polishing. Yet I think it's a good premise for a new powerset. Thoughts?