Potential Future Change? Art Swapping vs. 4 Art Slots

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Henoshock, May 19, 2022.

1. BumblingB I got better.

When they introduced artifacts, they said they always wanted to add more slots. (They also said that they were planning to keep upping the level cap, but here we are at 200 being cap.) At the time, it was more of a UI issue. Right now, the main issue is how they want to handle potential combinations. Charon gave us his thoughts, doesn't mean it's definite, but the conversations they are probably having are most likely extensive on what kind of potentials they want us to achieve.
    • Like x 2
  2. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

To be honest, I've just always wanted a sensible reason to incorporate B.O.P. Commlink into my buff troll build lol. That's about it fr.
  3. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Yikes. Yet another reason I barely play with randoms. I have had players ask me to get a cog and I sent them my PayPal address. They never asked again. I ain’t here to spend money for their benefit. I’ll rank one up eventually but claw/ rao/ tetra are far more important to me.
    • Like x 2
  4. GregTheFarmer Active Player

So you mention 30-40M but you're neglecting context. If my overall damage is 400M and you're 30-40M behind me then thats 10% maybe less which isn't bad at all. My rule is as long as all the DPS are within 10-15% of each other than its not bad, if the run got done in a reasonable amount of time then all that becomes irrelevant and everyone wins because everyone got their loot/feat. And you said
    and to that say those people are morons. The scorecard is there as a objective rough approximation of everyone's performance. And both Spytle and other devs in the past said that the scorecardss numbers aren't completely accurate and they're 100% right. Because their are pets that once they die they add damage out for the player to the scorecard. Being top of the scorecard means absolutely NOTHING. You get no extra loot, no extra marks, no signed plaque from the devs, etc. When I'm top of the scorecard I don't give a damn, I don't talk trash I don't even say anything. I even had a discussion with my leaguemates the other day about this very issue and we were talking about DPS comps and how pointless I think they are. And they half agreed with me. As a phallus measuring contest, they're stupid, toxic and pointless. As a gauge of how well you're doing as a player they do server a purpose. But people conflate those 2 all the time.

Now bak to artifact swapping...The devs just need to leave well enough alone and as I said before if you don't want to do it, by all means don't do it. But don't complain when others do it and you're choosing not to. And vice versa. Leave it be its not that big of a deal. And actually if you artifact swap too much its a damage loss. The most I'll do is swap in a DKS, Philosopher's Stone, or EoG.
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

My complaint against Tac swapping (at the max use extent....I dont really object to it in small doses) is not that I can't top the board if I don't (or on PS4...can't really) do it, it's that as it becomes more the norm, it means you will be left out for not doing it. People already expect it on their trolls, and there is only 1 troll slot per run...so it's already starting that if you are not rocking claw/rao/tetra/cog, you are limited to what groups you can get in....like having 3 200 arts shouldn't be enough...you MUST use 4? When the difference comes down to some minutes (let's even say 10, but it's probably less) yet there are groups that will spend 20 min in LFG looking for that swapper vs picking up a perfectly good power or basic buff troll. Same goes for DPS, just that people (so far) are less picky when it comes to filling that last DPS slot, but it is progressing towards a final state where it will be mandatory....and that's where it becomes an issue.
    • Like x 2
  6. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Well I mean if I’m 50mil and the lowest is 10mil. I know I’ve come out of duos 10mil up plenty of times without tac swapping. Gonna guess those players aren’t getting picked up much and if they are, they aren’t in long if a groups looking for an easy run. Dps comps can be stupid to you but they can be a ton of fun to others. Lots of others. Some players can be rude about but plenty can just be doing it to have fun. Nothing wrong with that. And as I’ve said plenty of times before, the board is helpful when doing speed feats or burn checks. If you’re in a group and trying to do something like dme at launch, bad burners were a large problem. Tac swapping wasn’t as prevalent back then but now that it is, if something like that happens again you can be sure most random groups will want tac swappers/ best burners possible. Most groups already only want top tier burn. Honestly, if I’m tanking then I want great burn. I don’t need to be staring at some bosses knees for an extra 10mins because some random can’t perform well
  7. BumblingB I got better.

A little note on DPS competitions, it boils down to who hits first. Knowing the content and where things spawn gives an edge.

It's good clean fun, but not all content is a competition. The problem is that the community wants it to be one at all times. You have a good view, doesn't mean the rest of the community does.

That is all.
    • Like x 4
  8. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I hear ya. I generally only comp with friends and we decide if it’s an overall or st column only thing. And we’re doing it to make ourselves better. It’s not like we won’t be friends after. I’ve done a few random comps and they were good times. Win some lose some. It’s a lot more fun than pvp to me anyway. But yeah, you don’t comp in fbe or mechanics heavy stuff. Tank and spanks only. It’s just something to do when bored is all. But I do know plenty that every single everything is a dps comp and that I just don’t care about.

I only ever bring up large gaps to make a point about how large of a spread already exists in the game without involvement of tac swapping.
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

The issue is that most of the community tends to go with what was set by someone popular or well known and then suddenly it is the standard and you can't wiggle out of it or you are trash.

I don't PUG elite. I just stick with the league. It's just easier on my psyche. I did in the past. I remember trying TotDe when it first came out. Which was a much simpler time, but there were still baseline standardization by the community, we just had less to use less on. (IE, no artifacts and SP worked differently, plus it was AM era.) I will PUG or random queue event/regular and holy hell, the try hard tac swappers are rampant. I just giggle, but I also feel like Farnswarth in Futurama.
    [IMG]

What I'm trying to get at here, is that these comps are good clean fun, but to the general populace are a baseline standard for the exclusion they do. Usually because someone saw a video that set the stage and people followed.

I don't like Tac swapping, not because of the damage potential, but because it creates another imbalance that the community latches onto. (It also makes it hard to balance powers, but that's another conversation for another thread.)
    • Like x 4
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No one on the dev team said that.
  11. BumblingB I got better.

They did, when they did the first increase. Whether or not it's been edited out of history, I don't know, but it did happen.
  12. Controller Devoted Player

I just realized something....for those of us who are "Buff Controlling", a 4th slot would help....

I mean - let's have a HARD look at potential Buff Controller's Artifact loadouts....

A highly leveled Claw of Eklund...

A Highly leveled Tetra....and this is for the MIGHT DPS's....

A highly leveled Cog....and this is for the Prec DPS's....

I realize that some Controllers get by with one or the other but still.....

I was in a SWr a few weeks ago trying for a feat that required high burn and MOST of the DPS were Prec and asked if I had a Cog...

ONE Dps was MIGHT - and appreciated my use of the Tetra.....

Crazy to say, but AT LEAST I'd have ONE SLOT I could use a CONTROLLER-SPECIFIC Art in a 4-slot configuration.

I don't think this is a GOOD thing long-term.
    • Like x 1
  13. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Dps will demand us to use Claw, Rao, Tetra and Cog. If 4 slots becomes a thing, they will say now we have no excuse to not level a Tetra or a Cog.

Not that some don't already do that when they want the troll gameplay to be about looking at your inventory.
    • Like x 1
  14. Controller Devoted Player

One role (DPS) shouldn't have this much control over another role's inventory.

Don't comply? Or "TRY" to comply? Those 4-5 DPS will kick you and bring in another DPS - Compliant Controller to do their bidding.

It's a sad state of this game.
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Right when they did the first increase from one slot to two slots and then we eventually got three slots, after that they said no plans for a fourth. When the 200 rank caps were on test they said rank 200 was the final increase, rank 200 had always been the end goal when artifacts were in pre-development.

I don't know what you think you read but it's in complete contradiction to what has been said.
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Either, or

/endest
  17. Proxystar #Perception

Was there a reason you chose 60 seconds? The idea isn't to be excessively punitive for the sake of being punitive it simply only need be long enough to prevent a person from overlapping active passives, so they can only have one passive active at any given time and they have to make that choice.

I'm not saying 60 seconds is wrong I just wonder why you chose that number? I chose 30 because it's probably sufficient enough to prevent that, but if it isn't then, yea.
  18. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

What about my suggestion to just not let the passives remain after the removal of the artifact? Quislet and Grim already work that way, they disappear immediately. Won't even need a cooldown timer then :)
    • Like x 1
  19. Proxystar #Perception

Yea that solution is fine it's just whatever is easier to code.
    • Like x 1
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I decided to look around in case I may have missed something but this is all I can find in regards to increasing artifact ranks and slots.

Rank 200 as final rank: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...pons-and-artifacts.303564/page-9#post-4254662

Fourth Artifact Slot:
    August 20 2019 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ng-artefact-why-not-take.303566/#post-4253997
    January 10 2020 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...-anniversary-gifts.306798/page-3#post-4291597
    July 30 2020 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...is-about-to-be-announced.310454/#post-4335249
    April 6 2022 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...slots-we-need-more.322084/page-2#post-4500086
    • Like x 1