Please stop Gen Mod Crafting

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by coldchilln88, May 5, 2022.

1. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

No one asked for this. It was horrendous in flashpoint. It's less complicated now but it's more of an annoyance than gratifying system. I have all of these ridiculous amounts of crafting items just eating inventory and bank space for these things. You make the plans ridiculously priced. 85 marks for a plan in the last DLC? Seriously?

Just make the top tier mods drop in content or let us flat out buy them in the vendor. And not for an asinine price. You know we all need 12 of these things. I get you want crafting to be a thing. But it just isn't in this game. Once upon a time the crafting of gear mods was a thing and a decent process. But since then there's been attempts to beef up the crafting systems in the game. Craft gear with scraps? Failed. Now crafting generator mods? Please. Stop.
    • Like x 17
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

What I find frustrating is that for the cost of the plan, the boost isn't all that great. I may buy the plans eventually, but it's way down on the list.
    • Like x 9
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Things that I specifically do not like about generator mods.
    1. ??.1, ??.2, ??.3... is just unnecessary. If you're hard set on having gen mods drop consider one version for regular content and one version for elite content.
    2. Why can't these be account bound? Or stick them in a box and let us choose which flavor we want.
    3. I remember you used to be able to donate these for prestige. Why was that removed?
    4. ??.4s, nobody wants to craft these. Specifically nobody want to waste marks purchasing plans that cost the same as a piece of gear to craft these. Then take into consideration the time spent saving up marks to craft a full set of 12 before the next episode comes out. Too expensive + too little gain + too little time.

In my opinion the generator system as a whole needs a revamp. Mods need to be done away with, they're limiting for people that like to play different powers/playstyles. Once you progress out of an episode they're basically just junk in your inventory. We need a more player friendly approach with generators.
    • Like x 15
  4. Drathmor Unwavering Player

agree whole heartedly just have them drop and move on
    we have enough crap we have to carry around all ready with all the Augments and OP pieces for every DLC
    its all just needless space wasters
  5. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Can’t disagree. They’re just pretty useless. I’m all about min maxing but I stop at .3’s on my main. My lowest alt does this stuff for the last few dlcs so she doesn’t buy a single piece of gear after she buys my main his OP catalysts. They all just throw the stuff needed into the shared bank and I use it up when she spends all her money on them. I don’t even care if she has them so I was just making whatever was easy. At least as bad as the FP ones were, I could send them to my main.
    • Like x 1
  6. nawanda Loyal Player

It’s all part of a drive to give us 3-4 months worth of stuff to do each DLC. Lots of things to grind currency for, second wave of feats and now adding higher difficulty levels later on.
  7. Aren Sul Committed Player

I agree with many of the points people have made above. I would keep it if...
    • The plans are very inexpensive
    • You have the option of spending currency on a high level mod instead of crafting it. This would be a benefit for those people wracking up currency and looking for ways to spend, but also allow those that aren't a route through crafting.
    • The crafted mods (maybe the purchased as well) are account bound
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I buy one when my marks hit 980 or so...just so I don't go over. Just got my 3rd LOD one now and finished the feat.

Also, normally I'd worry about having power AND health, or splitting Dom and Resto on my fire tank....here? Meh....4 of each color does the trick. If I were worried about the split, it's not a huge loss to go 2 .4s for say health...and 2 .3s for power and just toss 2 of the .4 healths I make for the feat.

Yeah, I'm not sure if having the crafting was just a way to artificially inflate the need for more marks (so more replays or more running) or if it was a way to shoe horn in a few more feats that didn't take a lot of thought to design. Either way....let's go back to the BOP dropped and selectable gen mods. Run the content...get the boxes...pick your mod...move along. Keep the feats...We'll live.
    • Like x 1
  9. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

This has my full support. Generator mod plans are really high priced, for a minimal gain (sure, there's a feat, but let's make a trade-off), but that's still minimal gain for such massive price climb.

My suggestion:
    Regular gen mods drop (not .1, .2, and .3)
    Mod plans bought at 45-50 marks, with a significant increase.
    25 feat for each set made
    50 feat for 3 sets made.
  10. Tolly Committed Player

I think the goal of the devs is to scare away the early DC players and it's working pretty well lol

I don't even care anymore since they came up with this mod system, because it becomes one more burden in the crafting of DCUO, as if it didn't have enough boring stuff to xp already...
  11. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Just scrap the gen mods and add the stats to the origin thingies.
    • Like x 1
  12. Chewsy Well-Known Player

Why are they so expensive? Both in DLC currency and Source Marks? I spent like 500+ SM on these dumb things for Flashpoint and I'm still only halfway done with the 12 feat...The new ones are slightly cheaper on the Source Marks side at least...But really? They want us to spend all this SM to get like +20 on a stat?
    • Like x 1
  13. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

For me, it's a cost benefit analysis. I remember being excited when I bought my first one, plugged it in and saw a significantly smaller increase in my stats than what I had expected for the number of marks I spent. Yes there's a feat involved, but for the amount of time I would need to run content to get those marks, it's really not worth it.
    • Like x 1
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

100% not worth the stats. But I do want the feats, so eventually....I'll get them done. As the plan is the most expensive piece, i get one when my currency is maxed....no rush. If I finish them by the next DLC, super great...I'll socket them after creation. If not...also super great....I'd just delete after creation. I've spent more marks and money to get other feats in this game...as long as you aren't going out of your way out of FOMO on those 'huge' stat gains....annoying, but no worries.
    • Like x 1
  15. Jcal Dedicated Player

In terms of busy work, the system we have now is the least offensive.
    You salvage the gen mods you get or buy the Core Elements from the broker (after a few months, players are practically giving these away). The plans aren't that expensive and they're Account Bound. Buy them with whatever character, give them to whatever character. And finally, the R&D Components needed are dropping in the daily boxes/content + there're always some cheap ones on the broker.

My point being - be careful what you wish for. The game will always seek ways to pad out an Episode. This gen mod system is tolerable padding.
    • Like x 2
  16. myandria Item Storage

I could not agree more; in my opinion, we have gone backward instead of forward as far as crafting is concerned. Crafting generator mods cannot keep the same pace as game progression. It should be simultaneous with progression; not as an afterthought at end game.

I think there are better options out there for generator mods. Crafting is not one of them, unfortunately. The way that crafting generator mods currently work is too time consuming and cumbersome, almost as if the process is made for an active league. I think that the generator mods should just be drops and purchasable from a vendor. I also agree with making them account bound, even if they become CR locked when you give them to an alt like soders currently are. For example, if I could give my lower leveled toons a higher level generator mod and they cannot use them, then at least they can sell them for some in-game cash they might need.
  17. MiLady Well-Known Player

When they introduced this a few DLCs ago, it was doable, but a painful grind. Now that they have continued to do gen mods, I find this process a waste. The mods are only good during the content since we get a new set of mods on the next DLC.

Also, you dont benefit from the full mods until you finish crafting them, which takes tons of source marks and are very expensive (plans/resources). Although you get small feat rewards, it is not good enough to warrant the grind/cost/benefit. I personally want to complete the feat, but decided it is not worth my time for a lousy 10/25/50 pt feat and mods that only buff you a little (very little).

By the time I finished crafting the mods (in the past dlcs), the new DLC came out. Now I have to start the process all over again.

I understand that the devs want to bring back a use for the old resources for crafting, but at least make the process better.
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

If people think this is a grind than I’m scared what they will think of they go to other MMOs.

I personally don’t have any issue with them. I couldn’t care less about the stats they give. To me they are just extra feats to get. It’s not like you have to keep all the mods like in flashpoint. You salvage them and they store up to 999. The mods aren’t even on my mind. By the time I start working on them I’ll have pretty much everything I need to finish the feats.

It’s busy work. No one is saying they have to be completed within the 1st month. If you’re rushing to finish everything in the dlc within the first month than that’s a personal choice.
  19. BumblingB I got better.

The problem I have with these is that you don't get to use them. IF you didn't replay anything and had one character, you have to decide what to buy. The same goes for the OP item, but at least that can last 2 DLCs, the gen mods are replaced by the next XX.0 mod. You may get 1 week of use, if you are lucky.

Just change the system to the origin augment fortification system. Allow us to decide how to handle it. That way it is meaningful and we can min/max our characters. As it is now, if we wanted to split colors, we have to buy 2 plans for each. It's just insane!
    • Like x 2
  20. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I’m thinking an even simpler fix. I just crafted my 1st four might .4s. Good stats. So why not just make them strong enough to be better than the next dlcs/ even with the .2s? At least that way they last a little longer and you’d either replace with the rare .3s or the next crafted ones. Vs day one oooo a .0 that’s way stronger than the mod I had to spend and work for