Please return to new episodes every 3 months

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheLQ-DCUO, Nov 25, 2015.

1. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

I think though this monthly episode content has been a good experiment, that it would be good to return to episodes every three months. Why? (in my opinion)

1. More time to focus on in-game bugs and issues, as well as focus on fixing PVP. (as has been stressed a lot recently, there is a considerable PVP community in this game that care for PVP and this is likely of urgent importance)

2. Better quality PVE content with more thinking time for new mechanics and cool content ideas (not saying the last few months haven't, but they haven't been as solid as before the monthly content started imo - with the exception perhaps Unholy Matrimony in terms of raid mechanics and the like) - also more time to focus on little things like journal missions and communication with DC characters (more chance of availability of voice actors in-game)
    (Also look to the last major PVE success, Amazon Fury Part II. What worked well in that episode?)

3. Better scope for new instances that we haven't been in. (I'm not saying never return to the same instances again, but just that with new content there should be more in the way of new instances)

4. More time for communicating with community for ideas/ways to improve the game. Monthly cycle can be a rush to complete I'd imagine and I see less and less green names in the forums nowadays.

5. Less CR jump. The new monthly cycle means a considerable grind and CR is always on the up by a considerable amount every month (as well as outdating most other content beforehand). Monthly content has made the CR/gear chase too steep for any player, casual or avid.

As for the different storylines in each episode, that can stay. It has been nice to have different storylines going on. Have an episode every 3 months, with 6 pieces of content in each episode and have 3 storylines per episode focussing on different things (2 pieces of content to each storyline). Also don't focus too much on duos and raids (there have been loads of those recently) but balance content to please all group sizes. Maybe some more solo open world content in Gotham Under Siege (as the Amazon Fury finale is round the corner)?
    • Like x 8
  2. lukelucky Devoted Player

Only thing returning to 3 months would fix is the cr jump per month. Obviously it then would be 3 cr per 3 months which I feel is needed. The content is still the same in terms of what we get be ause well they can only produce so much so fast.

Once every 3 months would not allow them as many tie ins with current events. Lets say a dlc drops in june but the new movie does not hit till july. Do they give spoilers away or hit us 4 months late? No good.

If cr did not jump 3 per month more content would be fun to play vs being essentially nerfed by gained cr. The three issues I see is plus 3 cr per month vs 3 months, 2 peices of content holding the best gear and it repeating every 3 months vs 6 months.

So in 6 months a cr gain of 6 overall vs 18 we currently got
    • Like x 1
  3. Remander Steadfast Player

Much misinformation here.

It takes a certain number of man hours to produce a piece of content. Therefore, producing 6 pieces over 3 months, whether it's 2 per month or 6 per 3 months, takes the same amount of work. Going back to 3 month releases won't create more time. That eliminates points 1-4.

The last point, about CR jump is, similarly, misinformed. The actual CR jump over a three month period with the new system is actually less than it was with the last 3 month DLC. If you don't believe me, check my thread on the topic. Yes, gear is portioned out monthly, so you can't gear up entirely in the first month, but that's not a bad thing, IMO.

All that said, would I like bugs addressed, PvP fixed, a new UI, etc.? Sure! Unfortunately, the content release being monthly has zero bearing on that.
    • Like x 15
  4. lukelucky Devoted Player

Our cr per year only raised like 10 teirs one through 4 right? It was so slow and the game held people longer hours per day.

Now we gg
    Now we get 36 cr gains per year.

Its my opinion we need 3 cr per 3 months, making 12 cr gains per year. Gu47 is a direct result of stats getting to be to high no? Stats reached such levels because of t5 and t6 doubling (almost) our stats. Once t5 hit t4 and previous teirs were destroyable and hence game could not hold us for hours. Add a lack of pvp and this is why I cant seem to care to keep my sub all the time. I have been a 10 hour a day player at times throughout the years until t5. Then its a bore. If u love face rolling great this is ideal but if u wanna invest time and fun into a game well.

Teirs 1 through 4 our cr gains per year were?
    • Like x 1
  5. Remander Steadfast Player

I'm not talking tiers. I'm comparing 3 month DLC to 3 months of monthly releases. DLC 14 had a CR span of 12 (98 to 110 gear). After aligning the rare and elite gear in the monthly releases, the CR change per 3 months will only be 10, and that will be a set amount going forward. I don't recall the CR steps for the early tiers, but that's, frankly, irrelevant. With CR scaling, we need decent steps to progress the content difficulty. That's why the gear sets aren't all the same CR.
    • Like x 1
  6. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

I realise that my original post is for a lot of reasons, based on coincidence. Although doing the maths we haven't had a succession of new instances since Sons Of Trigon came out. That said the new system does magnify this considerably. Like I said I don't mind some reusing of instances sometimes (I enjoyed Desecrated Cathedral and Unholy Matrimony) but it is a lot more noticeable in monthly content, see below:

(Sons Of Trigon - New solos - new open world, new duos, new alert. (5 new instances, GW being a major one)
    (War Of The Light Part I - New solos/bounties (rehashed open world), 4 man ops using re-used instances, and an 8 man op mostly in various parts of Mogo and Ranx. (2 instances in Mogo/Ranx each, plus altered Metropolis)
    (Amazon Fury Part I - New solos (rehashed open world), new instance for iconic solos and alert, and new instance for duos (2-3 new instances)
    (Halls Of Power Part I - operation featuring re-used instances, and then 2 instances for remaining 4 man op and 8 man content) (2 new instances)
    (War Of The Light Part II - New solo, new duo, 4 man op with re-used instances, and new instance for alert and part of op) (3 new instances)
    (Amazon Fury Part II - 1 solo using reused instances. 2 4 man ops using reused instances. 3 raids with new instances respectively) (3 new instances)
    (Halls Of Power Part II - 2 duos using re-used instances. Solo missions in new open world. 2 new instances - Celestial City and Happiness Home (Fatal Exams area and raid area) 3-4 new instances)
    (Episode 15-17 - 1 duo using re-used instance, the other new. New 8 man op (mostly), re-used solo (more or less), and re-used instances in Trigon content) (2 new instances)

However the CR jump issue I can see splitting opinion rather than me be misinformed. Although this started at the start of Tier 7. People went from CR108 in Halls Of Power Part I, to CR111 in War of the Light Part II, to CR116 in Amazon Fury Part II, to CR126 in Halls Of Power Part II, to CR143 by end of first monthly cycle. For me the way I see it I just don't see why stat gear has to go up so much between each monthly episode (add 3 item levels to each round of different gear, why can't all gear be the same item level in a monthly cycle?)
  7. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

The 3 month cycle was a lot better because we had 2 raids to get geared now it's one we have to spam to get the latest gear, because the raid gear from last month can stop the drops from this month, so unless replays are used, some of us are always behind.

We dropped stat inflation for cr inflation. Don't understand the logic in that
    • Like x 3
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Looking back on it, in a quarterly DLC you'd get the full set of rare gear from one or two raids most frequently, with one exception when there were three raids, and a full elite set from one single raid.

With the equivalent 3-months of monthly Episodes, you get the full set of rare gear from three instances (two raids and one alert), and the full elite set from two instances (one raid and one alert). Hope that makes sense!
    • Like x 4
  9. Remander Steadfast Player

Again, the content type has nothing to do with the monthly release. Reused maps have been around for a long time. It's partially about story telling (revisiting locations pertaining to the plot), and it's partially about resources. I'm sure they would love to create brand new maps for every instance, but that's simply not possible.

I explained above, as have the Devs, why the gear sets have increasing CR.
    • Like x 3
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The comments about the amount of content and resources needed to create it are spot on, Remander. The monthly vs. quarterly comparison has no bearing on these concerns (which is not to say that the concerns themselves are not valid).
    • Like x 4
  11. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

It makes sense, it just seem we are running one piece of content each month because how the drops work. That's my only problem with one month episode
  12. AgentX44 Committed Player

IMO, the people that are now vocal to return to the 3-month DLC cycle are the ones that are getting burned out by the constant rat race that is gear CR. IMO, the reason for going to the monthly cycle was there was a clamor in the forums for new content all the time instead of some players gearing up the first few weeks of a DLC and then signing off for 2 months only to comeback when the new DLC comes out. And thus there were no players most of the time. At least now, there are a lot more players around because there is a constant rat race.

Maybe the better solution for burn out is to slow down the rat race a little. Maybe there should be a lull of 2 weeks - 1 month between the 3 episodes?
    • Like x 2
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Ideally, you would want to acquire marks and gear scraps for R&D from the rest of your content as well, and we're working on that.
    • Like x 1
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Thoughtful post - thank you!
    • Like x 2
  15. AgentX44 Committed Player

speaking of scraps, will episode 15 - 17 gear be changed to give us scraps for use for the R&D system? the scraps are not episode specific, right?
  16. Fies Committed Player

I would also like to return to 3-month-DLCs but for different reasons. While I personally love group content I think some kind of solo story-line like lvls 1-30 should come with each DLC where some basic gear-pieces can be earned and the episodes setting can kind of evolve. Doesnt have to be particularly long and can lead towards the first replayable piece of content- DUO or Alert. DCUO seems to be missing context/coherency at least thats what I was thinking when I was new. While Im not one of them "single-players" seem to be a rather huge junk of modern MMOs playerbases (looking at swtor for example).
    This would also allow for having content for the more casual crowd looking for story, DC and the likes as well as hard content not everyone is likely to complete. The current format more or less forces development to make sure that absolutely everybody can enjoy the one piece of content being put out each month which is basically impossible.
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The scraps are "cycle specific." You will run 18-20 to acquire scraps for 18-20 gear, and 15-17 to acquire (different) scraps for 15-17 gear. And yes, 15-17 will soon be added to the R&D Gear System.
    • Like x 2
  18. AgentX44 Committed Player

ah so the scraps from 15-17 can't be used to create gear for 18-20? that's a bummer. I guess you guys don't want people hoarding scraps like they used to hoard marks for the next set. hehehe.
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Right - you must run the appropriate content for that set of gear. It'd get crazy a few months down the line if you could (or we required you to) run all of that content for scraps.
    • Like x 2
  20. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

Honestly it would make really no difference. We get the same content its just divided. The pvp issue will not be looked at until the balancing is done. It would make no sense to waste resources to just need to redo it again. The biggest issue I see with pvp is people are awarded marks for beating teams they completely dominate. Its like t7's getting marks for beating tier 1 content. Creating a matching system (based on ability) like most games do would make it more entertaining for all. However, I would not want to waste the pve resources. So if this could be completed at a lunch break then great, if not then lets focus on pve!

The devs try to communicate with the community but as a whole it is a whine fest so they can only take soo much.

The CR jump...that I don't recall what it was in a three month period...however, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
    • Like x 4