PLEASE!!! I Dream of Shape Shifting!

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Neversummerdrew, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Neversummerdrew New Player

Please! I dream of the day when I can play a true shape-shifting character like Beast Boy or Animal Man! I feel like so much could be done with a relatively little amount of work to the nature power set shape shifting abilities allowing players to not only feel like a shapeshifter superhero or supervillian, but also have those various forms actually contribute to game play beyond just stat buffs and cosmetic aesthetics.

I believe that DCUO could either update the nature power set or break the shape shifting aspect of nature of and, very easily, grant the game an all new power set. Here is my idea:

1. Each form would have it's own movement associated with it.
    2. The forms would not be supercharges, but would rather be able to be cast at will.
    3. Change the Gorilla into a tank that can hold aggro. Give the Gorilla form ground pound as its aggro generator.
    4. Change dog form into some sort of cat form, such as a Cheetah or Tiger. This form would have super speed and be focused on DPS.
    5. Bring back the Pterodactyl form as the flight form and allow the Pterodactyl to be the "controller" form with power regeneration as well as stun and shielding abilities.
    6. Get rid of the Werewolf form all together.
    7. Add a new aquatic DPS form for use in Atlantis, such as a shark. This form could have similar abilities to the cat/DPS form.
    8. Keep the bug form as is for the healing spec.
    9. Add 3 new supercharge forms that would give a bonus to each spec. Such as a T-Rex that could bite, roar and knock mobs over with its tail. A Rhinoceros form that could charge mobs knocking them over and stunning them. Or a giant blue whale that drops from the air above and smashes down on all of the mobs for massive damage!

Aside from the new Tiger/Cheetah form, all of the other models are already in game. As are the powers! The speed powers as well as the flight powers could be used for the cat form and Pterodactyl form respectively, adding in the necessary dps and role specific numbers and effects.

This is a win-win for DCUO. Easy to implement (relatively speaking compared to creating a whole new power set from the ground up), and it would bring some much-welcomed and necessary awesomeness to the game!

Also, some pants like Beast Boy wears that only come down the calf area exposing the feet and calf would be really awesome as well!

I want to see changes like these added to the game more than life itself! I hope that you developers will consider this request, or something like it, and give us loyal players our long awaited dream!

Thank you for everything you do,
    Drew
    • Like x 1
  2. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i disagree on taking out dog form altogether, though altering it so that it just summons dogs and changing it from a form would give nature a more poison ivy/ aquaman/fauna faust feel as many DC characters can control animals without having to turn into them. i also don;t suggest getting rid of the werewolf form, but then when in a horror movie have you seen a werewolf with super speed like is shown via speed force? i feel acrobatics with slightly faster running speed would be a better fit, as werewolves are often shown climbing/parkouring around buildings and stuff at fast speeds. i also agree that we need a cheetah based ability, primarily her claws and speed, which i believe would be an interesting way of also representing vixen if it acted like a temporary buff with super speed and claws to attack with, as we lack any real non-shapeshifting morph abilities utilizing an animals natural weaponry and capabilities.

many of these i feel would only need changes to already existing forms as well as making dog form an ability rather than an SC form as well as adding a cheetah based claw iconic power.
  3. Balzemut New Player

nature power reminds me the druid class from wow, the only class tht can do the three roles, would be great tht u can do the three roles with the natur power
    • Like x 1
  4. Ryuvain Active Player

Saw the title and had to comment.
    I've wanted shapeshifting since day 1. Agree with what you said except for deleting wolf form. It just needs a tail, a graphics update, and no lightning.

Also shapeshifting would work best as a tank with very small support with healing and power out. TRex can't be anything but a tank.

I'll come back to the game devs if it happens!
    • Like x 1
  5. spack2k Steadfast Player

Yeah nice ideas, to bad its a free power and puting all that work into it wont be that profitable...
  6. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

I have run into several players that seem to have great fun playing as a dog and like to stay in dog form the whole time. (Krypto fans - I'm assuming)
    • Like x 1
  7. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

The problem is having the powers (sets) for - how many forms are we talking about?

I think it would be more possible to have the form types to have different visuals for the wolf, gorilla, and canine powers.
    I agree that one of these should have been flight-based (a shape-shift for each movement type basically).

As it is, we basically have the werewolf, gorilla, and dog.
    I wouldn't want to see the werewolf go away, because I have a Nature powerset werewolf character.

The way I would go, would be to move the canine in with the werewolf, keep the Gorilla, and replace the level 30 canine with a flight-based form. Then give a form option power that would fill a slot and/or be a option setting on the form change - or simply allow these forms to have their own "costume" slot in the costumes section.
    It would look something like this.

Shape-change options
    1) Werewolf/wolf/canine - two-legged and four-legged options - Two-legged (werewolf, werelion, weretiger, wererhino, werelizard, wereinsect, vampire(?), zombie(?) etc.) and four-legged (dog, wolf, lion, tiger, lizard, insect, etc.)
    2) Gorilla - two-legged (Gorilla, Treant (?), etc.) and four-legs (Rhino, Elephant, etc.)
    3) New Flight based - (bat, eagle, hawk, dragon, insect, etc.)

Power-tray option
    In your K power tray options - you just have the 3 Shape shift powers. In order to look like an animal other than the default, you have to use a power slot to a slot to utilize that other shape (ie. in the werewolf power tray listing, you could drop in a power that made you look like a lizard or weretiger when you were in that form)

K screen Power-tray option slider/toggle
    In this version, the form type would be set in the K screen power tray options by moving a slider or toggle above the actual power tray to set the variation of the form change. This would probably be better served by a drop-down menu.

Costume selection option
    When you have a shape-shift form, you gain a slot in the costume customization for that slot.
    In this, you basically get to pick the form, and maybe the basic color options. To simplify it, no sub options. You only get to pick if you are say werewolf or were rhino, but not the clothes that they possibly could be wearing (note beastio morphs which would be the easiest way to add the options)

There would be no additional powers added in this manner, but allow for greater character customization.

Likelihood of this happen? Probably pretty low.

The werelion and wererhino are already in-game, so those should be easy character customization options (by use of any of the three selection options above).

There is already a flying form in the Sorcery power set so that could be used for the basics of the motion for that shape-shift.
  8. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

oh, and make all these customization options drops in the game and/or charge for them in the market place.

And, some of them are already available in-game.
    • Like x 1
  9. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I'm for it. Anything to make powers more fun.

Although, I do ask if we go this way. Give back Sorc the ability to dog people. OMG i miss those days.
    • Like x 1
  10. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

I enjoyed this thread.
    I wish more people had participated even if there is never a chance that the DEVs will do anything with this.
    • Like x 1
  11. recoil2 Dedicated Player

so are we just going to ignore that insect form is flight based? most likely if we ever got a "shifting" or form change power, it'd be based on: clay face, metamorpho, beast boy, plastic man etc. given how many characters have this either as sub-forms of nature manipulation (but not quite the same thing) or as stand alone power sets (like several DC characters mentioned above) it wouldn't be a baseless idea to introduce a shape shifting power set, though i doubt it'd have too many "animal" transformations in it.
  12. Ryuvain Active Player

Yeah sadly. I've seen every shapeshifting thread just be ignored. It's been brought up a lot but never gets anywhere since they most likely don't care.

I hope not. Those kind of transformations would be basically either animation attacks or simple size changes. Form changes is why I mained Nature ever since I started as it's the best part imo. Always wanted a tank powerset fully based around it though. (Trex was always a dream that seems so far off...)
  13. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

I was tired while I was writing my post :(
    • Like x 1