Player Creation and body styles for players needs an update BAD

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Toshknight, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Toshknight Loyal Player

Never say never. things change. specially with memory upgrading and more space and freedom with updated system development Space, as i said just from the ps3 to the ps4, the game was able to do a ton more , once it broke free from the limitations of ps3, and then the IPs liking what the game was doing for marketing and allowing the developers to use more IPs for
    Emblems
    auras
    powers
    armor styles and more, which was once said "NEVER gonna happen" but did
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No, there are 18 individual designs. Their style system was not built like other games. The meshes do not stretch to fit the different model choices, they are custom fit.
    • Like x 4
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Devs tend to be pretty consistent about fairness (especially when dealing with cosmetic stuff), so if one gender got a new body type chances are pretty good that the other one would as well.

There are a few things that can slip by for one side or another, depending on things like IP canon (Star Sapphire outfit for females, Manhunter for males comes to mind). But something so close to a core aspect of a game like available body types? Playing favorites with something like that and only doing something for one side is just asking for an easily avoidable uproar.
    • Like x 2
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

Yeah!

I also see your point. If Perfect World had those slides back in 2007, there is no reason for DCUO not to have them too.
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That comes across in part as a conscious design choice. Remember, much of the aesthetics of the game at launch used Jim Lee's art style as the source material. Whether or not someone likes his art style, it definitely helped give at least a vibe of DC comics if not a solid connection to it.

Sliders would have spoiled that. They'd basically distort whatever look they had in mind for player characters and likely would have clashed horribly with how all of the NPCs looked.

There's also the distinct possibility that the way they designed gear for player characters (as mentioned already) factored in as well. But I wouldn't be surprised if how it would have affected the Lee-inspired designs was a factor as well, especially considering how involved he was in making the game. Heck, for all we know DC mandated that the character models not be that subject to change.

• Like x 1
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Perhaps I didn't make it clear: If they create a new body type, they have to manually recreate each and every style piece that they've created to fit that new body style, that's on top of now adding a new piece to work on to account for the new body type (1 for each gender). And that's if you just add 1.

The style pieces aren't auto generated when they create a new style....they have to be manually made to fit each body form that they have. So when they made say the Retribution style (based on current Huntress Style) they likely started on the Athletic Female form...either large or medium (depending on the character it's based on). Then they had to do the whole thing again, this time for Spry Female form, then again for Large Female form. Then they have to make even more changes to fit the male form (since this is a female style), and repeat the whole process again for the other remaining male forms. Then goes the process of making sure that all of the pieces actually work within the style set, and quite probably, see if there are any major issues with older styles. Mind you, some styles will clip...some favorably, some not. They'll try to do the best they can to make it work.

This is a decently long and tedious process they have to go through for new styles. And we haven't even considered the fact each body type also has a different size. But even if it didn't it's still a significant amount of work, and adding a new body type only adds to that work, especially since they couldn't just ignore each and every style piece that exists in the game up to this point. They might work on an older style piece to bring it up to date with better textures and whatnot, but as we can all see it only happens for special events (usually the Anniversary) and just one style.

The powers that be way back when made some unfortunate decisions when it came to how the body type and style worked for this game, and we have been saddled with those decisions ever since (players and developers alike).

This is a request that has been made every year for all 9 years. Requesting it again doesn't magically change the fact that this is not a feasible request for this this game. It's been asked and answered, and nothing has changed in the past 9 years to make this request possible all of a sudden. A new system doesn't change anything (just like going from PS3 to PS4 didn't change these basic fundamental issues). It's perfectly fine to not like the situation as it currently stands. For players who love to customize their characters, this sucks. But we have to accept that somethings just aren't going to happen without some huge changes...changes that just aren't coming no matter how many times we ask for it.
    • Like x 3
  7. Toshknight Loyal Player

I dont prescribe to asking over and over, but totally giving up on something in a mmo especially one that has had as many changes as this for the better, i won't just keep my head down and not give feedback on what and what shouldn't be done to the game to make it better, but by all means.

the gentlemen above is correct about them having to re mesh every piece of armor... i didnt think about that, but when doing somthing like that, when i comes to armor, i think you make one change to a master mold piece and the rest change in laments terms. but yes it still could be an issue, but the reason we have some of the things we have is because of passionate players that give feedback and ask for new stuff so the developing team knows what everyone wants, you don't get that by just not saying anything and you know that. just saying "for 9 years" ive been here since 2012 early, so i know how things have been too, there are a lot of people that are just negative and hate on stuff people want. and yes i agree spamming threads about stuff is annoying and i don't do that, this is the first time i've made a topic on this..

cheers.
  8. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

This may be your first thread on the topic, but the topic is as old as the game. It gets brought up at least on a quarterly basis, and unlike some of the changes that people have asked for, this one isn't going to change any time soon. The obstacles that prevented this 9 years ago remain firmly in place. If we read that there are some major changes or revamps coming down the line...by all means, let's revisit this subject.

And let me make something clear...this isn't a case of me "hating" on other peoples ideas or wants. That notion is so dead wrong it's beyond ridiculous. I'm a major proponent of customization in this game. But i'm also a realist, and i've been here long enough and paid attention to what has been said and what has been done. The team knows what people want...people have been asking for it consistently for 9 years...and there has been ZERO movement on that one. There's a good reason for it, and that's all i'm really trying to get you and others to understand. Some very major fundamental changes have to happen in order for this one "little" thing to be possible for this game (what other games can do is utterly irrelevant in this conversation because those games weren't developed like this one was).
  9. Anubis New Player

Ngl I would really love if they add Etrigan body, he is my favourite character in the game and the animated movie
  10. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I 100% 10 years of supporting the devs and what do we have to show for it? A 2011 game lol
  11. Aesthete Well-Known Player

Idk why they didn't follow the Champions online route when creating customization and etc. Most MMO's I've played have pretty flexible customization. DC is a special case as it really limits the options and creativity for us players.... Oh well.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

As far as character models, it could have been a conscious design choice. Or it could have been a mandate from DC to maintain a certain aesthetic. It could even have been difficulties in making the game work well on both PCs AND consoles (still stories floating around about the challenges of development on the PS3).

I've always looked at DCUO as just doing it different, though. The initial choices for costumes in particular are limited, but the game is designed to give you more as you keep playing. It works as an incentive of sorts. Plus you aren't locked into a style via the gear you use and can change your gear appearance whenever you wish.
  13. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Making new body shapes would mean that every single style piece in the game would need to be designed to work with the new bodies so there's no clipping or other weirdness.

You might as well ask for DCUO 2. What you want will never, ever, happen in DCUO. Doing what you ask would mean, what, no other improvements in the game for at least a year? If it's even possible at all (to adjust all styles to new shapes).

This being obvious with two seconds of thought, I don't know what people are thinking when they make completely impractical suggestions like these (which occur more or less every day).

In this case, what does the OP think DCUO should do to implement his suggestion? Hire thirty new designers? Stop all work on everything else in the game for a year or two or three? What are you thinking is a way they could possibly do what you're asking?
  14. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Unless it's true, in which case self-delusion won't actually be helpful.

Suggestions are either practical or not. Many might be borderline.

This is not one of those cases. It is clearly impossible in any practical sense, though it's theoretically possible if you have a few million dollars to give to DCUO to temporarily take on all those new designers while the rest of the staff supervises for consistency. But unless you or someone does donate the millions of dollars necessary, it will. Never. Happen.
  15. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Unless you're intimately familiar with the code for each game, there is no possible way you could conceivably have an informed opinion.
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Thank god there are some players with more than two brain cells to work with!

Everything KHALON said. (As usual.)

I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that players, many of whom are young, for varying degrees of "young," of a fantasy super-hero game should be prone to fantasizing as to what changes they'd like to see in a game, but unless their dreams match the reality of what can feasibly and affordably be done by DCUO, an awful lot of space and time on the forums is wasted discussing impossible requests.

Confusing wishful thinking with reality never works out well.
  17. Wallachia Devoted Player

Touché.

You win this time.
    • Like x 1