[PC] The Arbitrary 30 FPS Lock Needs to End

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Thaumasurge, May 16, 2015.

1. Thaumasurge New Player

I have played DCUO on and off since the transition to Free-to-Play a few years ago. During that time, something had always bothered me as a PC Gamer. I could forgive the lack of proper Anti-aliasing options as you could easily force them (and the game definitely looks much better because of that), but something that I simply would not relent from, was the arbitrary lock to 30 FPS.

Presumably since the game's original beta and assuredly since I started playing at F2P relaunch, the Vertical Sync option in-game that is enabled by default locks the entire game to 30 FPS, rather than the equivalent of your refresh rate.

While someone could simply turn off Veritical Sync, I would think that a majority of people who play on the PC version do not bother with doing so. The gameplay is much smoother and objectively superior to the PS3 and PS4 versions by doing so.

Ordinary people who are playing this game for the first time or less tech savvy would never know to turn off V-Sync because of this 30 FPS cap. If the in-game V-Sync properly worked and locked the game to their refresh rate instead, many more people on sufficient PCs would be able to see a vast difference in comparison to the console version.

The PS4 version is capped at a maximum of 60 FPS by default. This means that if someone was to play the PC version and did not know to turn off Vertical Sync, this would make it appear on the surface that the PC version is objectively inferior to the PS4 version. A simple disabling of Vertical Sync (and forced AA if so desired) would immediately make the PC version superior.

I have posted on forums long ago and tweeted developers, asking for the removal of the 30 FPS cap and yet to this day, it has yet to happen. I was further appalled during the PS4 launch update that one of the developers said they were targeting for 1080p and 60 FPS on the PS4 version, when the PC version still suffers from a 30 FPS capped Vertical Sync, enabled by default, that the common man wouldn't necessarily disable unless they were told.

A developer response as to why the PC version's V-Sync is capped to 30 FPS and has been since the game's original beta would be greatly appreciated. I have noticed any issues playing the game at 60, 120, or 144 FPS consistently, with forced FXAA through the Nvidia Control Panel.

Again, please remove this arbitrary 30 FPS lock and make V-Sync work as it's intended. V-Sync should no longer be enabled by default and if enabled by the user, should work as intended and NOT lock the game to 30 FPS.
  2. Mr BeefCakesss New Player

If you run a nvidia or AMD card you can put a custom V-Sync on any game you play. I have a Nvidia GPU and a 144hz Asus 1080P monitor, so I did a V-Sync of 144 FPS and it's smooth. But I do agree that the 30FPS lock is garbage and should be bumped up.

Tried playing it on the PS4 at 60FPS and it was terribly laggy. I guess I got to use too 144 refresh:)
  3. 478874 Dedicated Player

Really interesting comment, have played the game on both the ps4 and pc, and it's far better on the pc even with the 30fps. I don't even have a good rig either.