Passing on some nuggets of wisdom...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Physique, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Physique Dedicated Player

Welcome aboard guys! DCUO has come a long, long, long way from back when it launched for PC and PS and I, for one, am glad to see a new community of players coming into the game.

That said, the game is going to be fresh and new a lot of you and with it, I'd like to pass along some basic tips and knowledge that I've learned in the 5+ years of playing (and I'm sure others will add on, too).

1. Take the time to explore the cities. The maps are gorgeous and there's a lot of cool things to see. Also, as you are leveling up, you'll wind up going from place to place. Take the time to look and find your landmarks in each city.

2. When running stories, make sure you pick up all your side missions (the exclamation marks that appear in your map view in the upper right corner) and that you complete your investigations (green buttons) and briefings (blue buttons). These all give experience which will help advance you further along towards level 30. Also, the side missions will help you complete story arcs (you'll see them under Feats -> Solos -> Contacts) and help you gain additional skill points.

3. Work on your feats early and often because for every 100 feat points you gain, you get a skill point that can be applied towards your weapon or movement ability.

4. Take the time to learn your power for your character and eventually also learn the alternate role for that power set. With most of the powers in the game there are a ton of YouTube videos as well as how-to article on these forums that will help you master whatever power you choose. Take a little time and do some research so that you don't get frustrated.

I'm sure there are a ton of other things I could add but I think that just getting into the game for the first time will be overwhelming and exciting enough. I would be remiss if I didn't include the ubiquitous "have fun", hero or villain.

Cheers!
    • Like x 3
  2. Jumpnit Dedicated Player

And if you get a mission sending you to another city you must travel thru the watchtower to get there use portals inside policestations/safehouses to get to the other place.
    • Like x 1
  3. Craven Green Loyal Player

Try to join in with others doing the same missions, it makes it go much faster it can also help you make friends.

Start a league early it takes a ton of prestige to earn a league hall (which can provide you with boosts.)

All gear has styles attached to it, collect all the styles they are feats. Remember to go back to the higher piece of gear after equipping the piece of gear for the style.

Engage other players is one of the most important things I can tell you. Having people to talk , joke, struggle and succeed with can and will amplify your experience.
    • Like x 1
  4. Drathmor Unwavering Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  5. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Meet people who make the game fun for YOU.. then make a league with them ;)

check my sig on organising leagues :)
    • Like x 2
  6. Physique Dedicated Player

One other thing to add. If there are any "how to" or "how do I" questions that aren't covered on the official web site or in these forums, feel free to send me a PM here on the forums and I'll try to find the answer for you. I'm not playing on XB1 just yet (I need to get a system soon and until then I'm only on PC and PS -- yes two accounts)...
    • Like x 1
  7. Greenchain Well-Known Player

Let me add there is a treasure trove of great info in these forums especially the guides (Oracle section) for individual powers. Like most anything on the Interweb, so there is also some complete crap. Please read alot but with a bit of skepticism until you get a sense of who the knowledgeable sources of info are.

Opinions are like a$$holes, even a$$holes have opinions!! Have fun, ask for help, keep an open mind, and have fun!!
  8. ErnieB Loyal Player

Even though weapons and powers don't really go together, at least not now, don't be a afraid to experiment, this also goes for powers configurations, even though they all have a set of moves you can still try to customize to your liking, even in some small way.

Your looks matter, but you can go as crazy as the game lets you, you could fight in a bathing suit wearing a floatie, or in a suit and tie, it's up to you.

Auras do not give you any special ability, just look cool.

Run as much content as possible, don't try to skip anything, sure some things are a headache, but still worth it. The game has an awesome story, it might be lost on the latter tiers, but it still worth looking at it.

Replay badges do not enhance the chance for a better drop.

Be open to learn, to winning, but mostly be open to fail, and if another player criticizes you, just take it as constructive, sure it might sound mean and all, but in the end even the bad comments can help you out.

By default you do not have LFG chat on, you need to open the Settings, then go to Chat and either make a custom chancel or just edit the Default one.

Adding to that (not the last part), there are also other places to find info, YouTube, Facebook, DCUOBloguide. Most times anything you need is just a google search away.
  9. The Doctor Loyal Player

My advice is to ignore all the windbags here on the forums telling you how to play. Just play however you want and have fun.
    • Like x 2
  10. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

This
  11. Helderman Dedicated Player

Whatever your toon is a flyer, speedster or acrobat, do the races set on the open worlds of Gotham and Metropolis. They do help you to master your movement mode and are pure fun.
  12. Jim Berry Well-Known Player

I'd like to add:

The PS/PC community is great and almost always active. I say "almost" because I'm a Villian main, and we're outnumbered to the Heroes on the PS/PC side. But, enabling Suicide Squad or whatever it's called, makes for getting into content/instances faster.

Since the Xbox community is new/fresh, I would hope that veterans who are dipping their toes in don't bash the new players if they make mistakes. At the same time, if a new player does NOT know anything, and people are giving advice, please don't explode.