optimized for ps4 ???

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by majosea, Apr 22, 2018.

1. majosea Dedicated Player

1 Where is it ,
    2 would it remove junk flies in the game not longer used freeing space on hard drives
    3 would it speed up perforce and game play
    4 would this fix lag problems , making pvp /pve run better
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Seriously, what?
  3. velvetsanity Loyal Player

I’m as confused as you are.
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

I think he's looking to optimize
    • Like x 1
  5. Gimpy Loyal Player

:eek:is this a PS4 is killing the game thread!?!?!?!;)
    • Like x 3
  6. velvetsanity Loyal Player

TBH, I think he doesn’t really know anything about how programming for multiple platforms is done.

The source code contains everything for each target platform (in DCUO’s case, Windows, PS4, and Xbox) separated into sections for each platform. With that platform’s sections the code is optimized for the platform, and different compiler settings (if not completely different compilers) are used depending on which platform you want to compile the code for.

The part of the OP asking about “junk files”...there are no “junk files”, unless they accidentally included meshes or textures in a patch that were never used in the game at all. And the only things that would affect are hard drive usage and possibly an imperceptible amount of load time.
    • Like x 2
  7. Darth Piper Loyal Player

There are parts of the code that are generic (apply to all platforms) and parts that are platform specific.

What I believe the OP intended to ask about was whether or not they've taken the entire thing and removed any code and/or hacks needed to keep this game working on the PS3 that would otherwise interfere with making the game run better on PS4, PC, or Xbox 1, and allow for graphics updates, game play updates, etc.

The answer would be a resounding "No." To do this, they would need a team of people whose job is to do nothing but code reviews to determine what was done to specifically support the PS3 and how it can be "undone." This is no small task given the size of the game and how much code exists... as well as the fact that the original game was written for PS3 and PC only. Overall, you are talking about a project that will last anywhere from 1-2 years. In some cases, it will be simple code removal because that code path is no longer used. In other cases it may require a complete rework of the nuts and bolts of the algorithms. Anyone who has done software development will tell you that these are not small undertakings because any one change to the inner workings can have massive ripple impacts on things they never thought would have one. If there's one thing 25+ years of software and systems engineering have taught me it's that nothing is ever done without a reason.... even if it's just to compensate for the phase of the moon at the time the software runs.

Do I believe this kind of work is in progress? Sure... but maybe not to the degree necessary to bring about all of the changes everyone is demanding. Will we see an impact? Yes... but it will be gradual, and the early stages of these changes will not be very visible.
    • Like x 3
  8. Dene Devoted Player

*looks at proxy*

Thanks

*still confused* lol