Open world mob ettiquette question

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Mobius Twist, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ok. Lets talk about 'stealing'. If you are reading something, and I look over and read the same thing you are did I 'steal' something? No. You are still able to read it....although as pointed out by some...even if I disrupt your reading for a moment. If you are building a puzzle and I reach over and did the last piece for you, are you 'robbed' of credit for working on the puzzle? No, although I can technically say that I also worked on it. If you are working on Tspheres or Mimes and I come in...also doing those missions, and see yours in progress, I might throw in a a few shots and even 'gasp' grab the cog. We both get credit...nothing is 'stolen'. Call it disruptive or rude...sure....'Stealing' no. You could argue that if you are fighting adds near a portal someone can 'steal' the portal, but the adds are not tied to the portal, so it's your choice to fight them vs popping a shield, grabbing the portal, and getting out of there. BTW, many of the adds in proximity to a portal are part of other tasks like 'un-metal' or the T-Spheres, mimes, etc.... So how do we know someone is even working on the portal? You could be doing metal shipments or re-arresting inmates near a portal...Guess I should just fly by that one and leave it? Nope, sorry...if I see portal, I'll grab it thanks. I might help you burn the adds even...sorry.

Now...assuming you are the type to not want to have help, or help others, I'd suggest not working in the areas that are most populated, closer to the center near the titan spawn, especially for portals. Mimes and Riddler bombs are in the center, so it might be harder to avoid people, but you can always go to PVP if it bothers you that much....you won't run into more than a few people there.

BTW, I'd guess that Bataman would not go on a forum to complain that Superman helped him out...regardless of if he needed it or not and had called 'dibs' on the Joker goons he was obviously able to handle on his own.

Reinheld

PS. From now on I decree that anyone who requires solitude needs to wear a particular hat...let's say the lobster head. If you are not wearing a lobster head in open world I will assume you are ok with me 'helping' or 'sharing' in the mission I'm also working on. If you are wearing a lobster head, I'll respect that and move along since there is really no way to tell if that behavior bothers you at a glance.
    • Like x 3
  2. Aren Sul Committed Player

Although I usually don't mind the help, there have been times I have not gotten credit. Either because I just engaged the mob and did not do enough damage (I'm guessing, this mostly happens on my geared healers, controllers, and lowbies), or because of the nature of the mob (the possessed in Chaos Gotham comes to mind. I'd take down the possessed then someone would yank and one or two shot the demon).

It can be annoying, but I try to shrug and move on. I figure the few times I've over-pulled mobs and someone helped compensates it.
    • Like x 1
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Meh...you can't really 'steal' a Riddler trap since if you are close enough to call it 'yours' it's already activating and there isn't really enough time to swoop in and 'steal' it. But yeah, those 2 are the 2 tasks that are not tied to mobs, but are in proximity to mobs so they can be grabbed while someone else is tied up with the mobs. Carry a shield, solve the issue.

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  4. Mobius Twist Active Player

(tongue in cheek)

As an aside, this pushback against heroes helping other heroes? This is how villains are born.
    • Like x 3
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I don't really have a problem with it. it happens. it can be a bit annoying when someone jumps in & grabs "your" rift while you're thumping a couple of mobs, but, you know, if you chose to duke it out with the mobs instead of popping your shield, grabbing the rift, & moving on, that's kinda sorta on you. also, that can be largely avoided by doing the rifts on a monday or tuesday rather than just having to must must get it done on reset day. as far as jumping in goes, if I see someone fighting a mime or minotaur & I need a mime or minotaur, I will jump in, with absolutely no compunction what-so-ever. I'll always let them take the cog, though. that's just manners.
    • Like x 3
  6. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Just figured I would add today's experience to this discussion. So I grabbed my newest add who is at CR 62 at the moment and headed to Metal Gotham to run my 3 dailies and get the three pieces of armor and all the rest that comes with their completion.

So first up I go tackle the mission where I protect four Gotham Police Officers. I take out the first solo and then as I wander about searching for little white dots on my map I find a cop already being protected by... A VILLAIN! I jump in and help since the cop was positioned near another street mob and instead of battling 2 attackers he is fighting 5. Between us we take out the five attackers and BOTH get credit for protecting the Patrolman. At that point we just sort of stuck together and took out the mobs attacking two more Patrolman and both walked away with the mission completed. After the 4th cop was safe I bowed to him and he saluted me.. Thanking one another for the assist.

Next up I had the mission to defeat mobs and collect T-Spheres for Nightwing. I took down two mobs solo and then found myself attacking and defeating the same mobs another hero was attacking. We never bothered to form a team but just stayed together and took out all the mobs we needed to complete that mission as well.

Last but by no means least... Deathstroke had me hunting down the "dreaded" Metal Minotaurs. Sort of the same situation as the first mission I wound up fighting side by side with a villains and we took down a trio or the minotaurs together. Then he apparently had completed his mission and headed off to collect his rewards.. So I located and took down the 4th mythical beats on my own.

The thing is for two of three missions I was working side by side with a villain and amazingly in both cases neither of us could have cared less WHO we were teamed with... The missions were completed fast and with no real problems.. Heck my Alt never saw the health bar drop below 75% and I didn't need to use a single soda.. Oh yeah and thanks to the "HELP" I manage to complete all three missions and was headed back to collect the rewards in about 5 minutes (or less I was not timing it on a stop watch).

The point here is simple .. The only objective is to complete the missions and get your rewards..... There is nothing in the game code that penalizes anyone if some other players helps defeat the mobs and there is nothing in the TOS for the game that stated it is considered wrong to jump in and help anyone... HECK all those "tutorial" missions players run below level 30 involve running around Gotham and Metropolis taking down numerous mobs OUTSIDE before facing that final boss battle in a building. There are all sorts of mobs in any area but there are also all sorts of new players at each location doing that exact same mission. Only thing that matters is completing the stated objective to help you get better armor , more source marks and eventually get to level 30 and start running the tiered content. IF some one gets so upset because another player had the nerve to jump in and help take ouit some mobs? Maybe THEY need to fuind another game to play.
    • Like x 3
  7. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Come on now... you know Batman would be the first to say, "I don't need your help. Get out of my city. Don't come back without my permission."

He may not be wasting time by getting on some forum, but that's because he's busy making backup plans of backup plans to kill you.
    • Like x 5
  8. myandria Item Storage

I also like to do open world missions solo most of the time; however, the share loot system in this game is what promotes the lazy behavior you mention, in my opinion. I find it quite annoying when someone swoops in to "help" me take out the mob I am working on so I let them "help" themselves, pop a shield and move on. If that person takes a knee in defeat for trying to"help" me, then oh well; not my concern at that point. I always move away far enough so that I usually do not receive credit if the player happens to defeat the mob I was working on; this gives me the incentive to keep working on my missions until they are complete.
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That's what I always do, hero or villain...sometimes while I stand there and wait, they stand there and wait...so i'll just click it so we can both move on.
    • Like x 1
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Facts...:)
  11. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I'm just stating this in the hopes of learning something here, because I really don't understand this "doing it all by myself" mentality in a MMO. If you're all getting credit "working together", outside of testing loadouts/rotations, what's the actual big deal???

Considering how often we have to do this, and how many toons most people have, it only makes sense to do what's most efficient...and for the sake of efficiency, it's a lot easier to just jump in and help (yourself and the others out there) without spending time asking for permission which would require the other person to stop attacking so they can reply(?).

Like TechWarrior, i've worked with my fare share of heroes and villains, and never sensed it was an issue. Seeing this thread is the first time i've been made aware that people actually get upset about this even though no one loses in this situation. You'd have my full sympathies if your progress is legitimately impeded because of help you didn't request (like the high CR guy one shotting mobs with one look so you can't even put a hit in to get credit). Outside of that, it just feels like a bit much when there are seriously bigger social issues in this game (like general griefing, AFKers, people who can't block in raids, style beggars etc.). Please...enlighten me.
    • Like x 4
  12. fm0987 Committed Player

Lol same happened to me, some ppl are just dumb, idiot during the halloween seasonal told me to go away cus he was trying to farm collections (right in the most busiest area might I add, where nearly everyone goes to complete the open world daily).
  13. fm0987 Committed Player

Are you for real? Hardly a disruption of gameplay, no ones gonna get banned for "kill stealing" some one else ad.
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i would suspect inexperience with the game while being aware of other mmo practices. event areas are filled with players who arent even level 30 yet.

at this point i just dont care if someone wants to swoop in and share credit or steal a rift or even a collection or exo go for it. theres one right around the corner. its not like you only get one chance.

i do like doing the protect a cop mission by myself though. when the first ad spawns i just keep him encased while the cops timer lapses. fending off the waces of ads isnt hard..but this is still much easier. people who come in to "help" me dont seem to get how im doing it. mildly annoying but nothing worth shaking a baby over.
    • Like x 2
  15. DarkAya Dedicated Player

I like you man but come on
    [IMG]
    I get it, people are sensitive about everything these days and gets offended by other person just breathing next to them (sounds crazy but that's how it is).
    It's an MMO game, Proxy pretty much covered it, couldn't agree more. I suggest putting some sort of warning at the beginning for new players or just a reminder, what's an MMO game. :)
    I agree OP should respond with something like 'sorry, have a nice day', but like I said, I never had this type of issue, people usually 'wave' or 'bow' when I 'help' them that like that.
    • Like x 1
  16. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

LOL read this post and just kind of HAD to respond. While it is true that the Bat can be a total pain in the ..... Let us not forget that he is one of the game's mentors and from level 4 through level 30 any player that picks him as their mentor will spend time being handed one mission after another by the Batman. So its a little hard to justify saying in game he does not want our help. Adding to that there are at least two instances I can think of off the top of my head where the game asks us to aid him.

First one is during the Arkham Asylum alert where as a hero we eventually face in (final boss battle) again Poison ivy, Scarecrow and Mr. Freeze and rescue the Batman who spends the entire battle tied up in that same room waiting to be saved.

My second example is in Gotham Under Siege where we have a feat that requires us to locate and help Batman defeat a number of "bad" Amazons that have teamed up and are trying to defeat him. Now interestingly Batman being Batman after we defeat this murderous mob he never says a word and just fires off his grappling hook and zips off.. But the reality is that once again WE rescued the Bat.

Hehehehe he may like everyone to think he does not need anyone's help but our characters save his butt at least twice plus as I already mentioned our characters spend the better part of 30 level running missions for him that he apparently just does not have time to do himself.
    • Like x 1
  17. Mobius Twist Active Player

...and he is currently tied to that metal cosmic tuning fork, so...

"I'm sorry, you didn't ask me to help and I didn't want to presume. Sorry about the multiverse, but I didn't want to jump in and interrupt your work."

I would like to ask we not assign motivations or cast judgements. The original question was, "Is this a gaming norm?" and I think the resounding answer is, "It is not."

While I don't understand it, I feel the other player has every right to engage in the game the way they want to. It's their time, their license to play, and I wish them the best. I cannot begin to presume on what basis they form their gaming ideology, but I prefer to believe they are trying to be the best person and the best player they can be.

Also understand I was being significantly less than altruistic. I wasn't there to help, but I also wasn't there to piggyback. It was a completely incidental encounter, one of many had that day (and since, mind you) as we all worked to complete our missions and get that sweet, sweet triple coin reward. THAT is the norm that I have experienced, and the message and anger behind it set me back. Was I doing something wrong all this time? I'd better find out and adjust accordingly!

Thanks everybody for your excellent input! Enjoy your game.
    • Like x 1
  18. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Not sure why but I keep gravitating back to this thread. :confused: Anyway a slightly different view this time. Part of me does understand at least the mentality of "I am here to solo. Leave me alone!" While a number of players can not wait to get past the "tutorial" between level 1 and 30 I actually enjoy it. Let's be honest while DC super heroes are a part of the justice league and even in the Marvel universe (OMG DID HE JUST MENTION THAT "OTHER" COMIC BOOK? lol") we see the Avengers.. One of the things that always adds to the excitement of super heroes is the times when a single hero or heroine arrives on scene and takes down a pile of minions and then defeats their boss all by themselves. Sure watching Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman along with a host of other JLA members take down some super powered villain is exciting it is just as much fun watching the Bat take down 20 or 30 bad guys all by himself.

THAT is one of the things I enjoy about the tutorials... I talk to a contact, grab a series of related mission and head out to solo them until I confront and defeat that big boss. POST 30 level when Combat rating kicks in we don't see quite as much of that and let's be honest would the entire Justice League show up to defeat a purse snatcher and hand the stolen item back to the little old lady it was swiped from? Of course not .. one hero would swoop down and in a matter of seconds defeat the mugger and hand Grannie back her purse.

Now that is not to say there are not solo opportunities in game... Heck between tier 1 and 3 we have a total of 13 solo missions and more after that including the solo challenge every player has to complete at least once if they want to go to Metal Gotham and do the daily and weekly missions there. And come on the thing hand you another 2 pieces of armor plus currency on a daily basis .. I run the thing every day!

But let's keep in mind that along with those three daily missions in Metal Gotham there are also a batch of weekly ones that in many cases require players to help one another.. Sure a player CAN wander around and eventually defeat 218 Metal mob members all by them self.. heck it is a "WEEKLY" mission so nothing says a player can not do the dailies and just take out 30 metal men or so a day and complete that weekly and of course a single player can easily click on and close 82 rifts BUT it gets done a whole lot sooner with 2,3,4,5,6 or 7 team mates all pounding on mobs. And then don't forget the bounties.... TRY taking on a Metal Titan or the Man Bat with no one around to help out.

Bottom line? Sure I enjoy doing some stuff solo and proving I AM as strong and capable as the Bat or Superman but Like i mentioned before in this thread.. as long as I get credit I have no problem at all with other players joining me in kicking some bad guy butt. :D
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

And building more 'defenses' that will eventually become a bigger threat than the original problem.

Reinheld
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

This...yes. Now, you could argue that the other person is still working on 218, since these kills count (at least I believe they do), but yeah, why kill 8 adds vs 1 or 2? Personally I'm never so happy as when my Void Gazer takes out the 2nd add of the 1st round of adds just as the cop is getting up and I'll be 1/4 block away as the credit for the save comes in and the 2nd 2 adds show up. Again, it speaks to trying to do things efficiently (which is the main gist of the thread)....some people are most concerned with getting it done as efficient as possible...others are not are are more involved in some sort of immersion. To me that goes out the door the 2nd or 3rd alt I've run the content on. I don't need the same experience on the 20th run of 'save the civilians as the 1st.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1