One Death in Elite Content No Longer Needed?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BumblingB I got better.

Really, serious question, is the One Death limit in Elite Content necessary anymore?

It doesn't really pose a challenge and it just frustrates players to random one shots. (Example, spawn right behind and immediately dead before tank has a chance to pull.)

Coming from the other thread about difficulty, why was this necessary in the first place? Was it because the devs didn't like the ability to recover from several people downed consistently? Survival Mode, which if you ask me, is the epitome of "Elite" content, allows for many pickups as you can do. Having the ability to pick up w/o dying and recovering sounds like skills to me. There are even feats about dying and recovering, like in Darkseid's War Factory.

So is this still necessary?

I petition that they be removed, which would allow for more skill makeups to tackle content without being frustrated by a random draw of the death. As LUCK isn't really a skill...
    • Like x 13
  2. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Remember those livestreams where the top leagues would fight the council of Luthors at escalating CRs? Spytle was always mega salty that people would cheese it in his view by being on top of their rally game. He would always try to hide it and downplay it, but it was written all over his face. I’m autistic and I could see it. I’d bet a significant amount of money that was something to do with it.
    • Like x 12
  3. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

I agree. And pickups are their own art as well that's a key part of being an elite player.
    • Like x 5
  4. BumblingB I got better.

I do remember that and he did like to pop into player's streams in difficult content.
    • Like x 2
  5. Serene Level 30

I agree only if the content difficulty is at least x10 harder than the current content. In paradox, we didn’t have this dynamic, yet it was very complicated to finish the raid, the same goes for prime. But if the raid is going to continue like COUE, ISE, FOS2 (post nerf) ... then no.
  6. BumblingB I got better.

One can argue that if they were too easy that the death count doesn't matter either with those...
    • Like x 2
  7. MaryMagdalene_DCUO Well-Known Player

The devs aren't going to remove the death counter because there is no way they will compensate with higher difficulty.
    Elite instances are progression based so it's going to be less difficult than SM.
    Random one shots is an exaggerated term.
    Actual random one shots are Weather Wizard's lightning arc and Avatar of Meta's beam (pre nerf)
    Alot of things have tells and shields are saved for stray adds and teleporting NPCs that spawn on group.
  8. BumblingB I got better.

You say there are no random one-shots and list two...

Stray adds do one-shots.
    • Like x 10
  9. Serene Level 30

Maybe, but still, it would make some people struggle, like people who find too easy the regular but too hard the elite. This is not very related to the topic but got me thinking, at some point maybe they should get another extra level of difficulty and only get drops for the OP gear, get the gear with the elite but only the OP part with the other raid, I don’t know.
  10. MrWood Well-Known Player

Depends on the "standard" by the dev team. If you want more people playing elite content, but dont want to change the mechanics then the easiest thing is to change the pick up. I'd guess that they have seen a massive drop off in ppl running elite content with HoL.

If they still want it to be the hardest of the hardest then they need to put back in some elite specific loot, and not just the gear you can buy.
    • Like x 1
  11. BumblingB I got better.

It would actually help EEG elite content too. Would make it more accessible to more players on that skill level slider.

And I'm against separate loots though, but I'm okay with the difficulty slider providing a higher chance at loot... If they can get it to work.
    • Like x 5
  12. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

OK, even I have to admit KO's like that are kinda unfair. I'm all for difficulty, but that's kinda lame even for the A.I. LOL!

For example, right after the cutscene before the fight with Future Luthor in Family Reunion Elite. The cutscene positions us right next to him, he attacks immediately and potentially KO's a player from the jump. That's SOOOO cheap! I'm all for a fair fight...not to be mistaken with an easy fight. I want a difficult fight, but not one with a start as cheesy as this one. XD

There's a reason for the "Round One, FIGHT", the ringing bell before the gladiators tussle/throw punches. It's to give a slight "GET READY" before the battle that will ensue.
    • Like x 3
  13. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I have to disagree on the stray adds though. True they do one shot you, but if you have enough awareness you can block and move out of the way. I think in ISE they say "batcave security measures" when the adds spawn?
    • Like x 2
  14. Proxystar #Perception

I would personally like to see the death counter removed from Elite and the content difficulty just adjusted to compensate. I've never liked it really because I think there is a level of skill and co-ordination involved with rallying players.
    • Like x 10
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Depends, there are the suppressor drones that spawn and the ones that go with the phases of the boss. The suppressor drones will just spawn anywhere, no notifications and the other adds drop from the sky and you know exactly where you don't want to stand.
    • Like x 2
  16. BumblingB I got better.

Something skill based in difficulty would at least also help appease the players in the other thread linked in the OP.
    • Like x 3
  17. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I never liked the death counter but designing elites without it will probably require much more effort from the devs to make the raids fun and engaging. Good if they can do it but I dont find it likely
    • Like x 1
  18. inferno Loyal Player

Should be removed, in my opinion.
    • Like x 4
  19. BumblingB I got better.

I actually think they might be more free to add more mechanics since they don't have to think about making it work with only one death.
    • Like x 5
  20. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I actually would also like this. Remove death counter but make content harder to compensate. The things I hate most are cheap 1 shot mechanics or mind control. Oh look your group wiped because the mechanic called to MC your healer(s) so you people die.. those mechanics would be more in line if the death counter wasn’t there. Ok you died because of MC rally your team and make a comeback.
    • Like x 4