Old DLC-specific rare material drop rates

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Magnificent, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Magnificent Loyal Player

When there are items which require materials which are uncommon or rare (Augment leveling components and OP item leveling components, for example), once the DLC ages to the point where its Marks are converted to Source Marks (I believe that's 3 or 4 DLCs back now?) can we get the chances on those items raised to being somewhat more common?

The problem is that as fewer players are playing the content the rarity of these consumed items in the game world increases. While this is fine when the content is new and hot, it eventually makes attaining the Feats associated with them impossible to get just from running the content (good luck getting Monitor Energy to drop enough to complete your OP item for the Feat just from running content, for example).

Having Feats which become literally impossible to accomplish defeats the purpose for having them in the first place.
    • Like x 2
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Except the feats are literally not impossible to accomplish. If you need something from an older episode chances are there are other people that need them to. There is literally nothing but your own imaginary restrictions stopping you from grouping up to obtain these items.
    • Like x 3
  3. Magnificent Loyal Player

Okay. Start a new account, create a character from scratch, no gifts from friends nor transfers from other accounts, then complete the Heavyweight Champion of the Multiverse feat (the one from completing the Metal II OP item) within the next three months by PUG'ing or building your own groups to run the content.

I'll wait.

Oh, what the heck. Make it four months.
  4. darry3275 Well-Known Player

I think we are missing the fact that we STILL don't have working toasters for our bases.
  5. darry3275 Well-Known Player

I do think incentives to play older content should be implemented.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Why 4 months? Does the feat disappear after that? I'm in a league and I have friends outside of my league so why do I have to pug it?

I don't subscribe to your imaginary restraints.
  7. Magnificent Loyal Player

What? Is that too difficult? Maybe... "impossible"?

Feel free to take six months.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I'm going to need you to look up the definition of 'impossible' in a Merriam-Webster dictionary. It doesn't mean what you think it means.
    Everyone has from now until the servers shutdown permanently to grab whatever feat they want from whatever piece of content they want, barring the Superman Emblem feat. No one is stopping you from reaching out to 3-7 people on this forum or LFG who also might need to farm the same content you need.

It's not difficult, you're just making it difficult.
    • Like x 1
  9. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I agree with Lorax. Yes they can be a pain to find a group but other that everyone is so geared up those usually become a cakewalk. There are so many ways to get them. You don’t even have to do the raids and stuff to get the components either. Find ways to make money sell stuff on broker and buy what you need. You say you can’t get something to drop from an older dlc? Find something in the current dlc to sell. Still a grind but that’s a workaround. Or make friends with other people and see if they could help you do them. Or use lfg. Just yesterday I did the open world bosses on thanagar in the off chance I get they accessory. When I did it there was a server full of people doing it. I just looked and found what I needed.
    • Like x 1
  10. myandria Item Storage

Well,

I've said it before and I will say it again; an MMO is a marathon, not the 100 yard dash. The viewpoint of having to complete new content quickly comes from many players from the game population; the devs have nothing to do with it and should not have to increase drop rates in older content because of it. I do not have any OP items completed and I do not possess all of them, but that does not stop me from playing the game, getting help to complete those feats or trying to carve out time to get them.

You would have accomplished more if you had created a thread asking players to help you do the specific older content that you need feats from. Just a thought....
    • Like x 1
  11. Magnificent Loyal Player

Let's go back to Monitor Energy from Metal II. It drops from only the 4-man and the duo and looking at the various post complaining about drop rates it drops around once every 10-20 times (let's cut that down the middle and say 15). The way most posts read they were indicated a "run" as doing both pieces of content but I'll be generous here and consider each piece its own "run".

Running the content all week would then be 14 runs, we can round that up and say you get a Monitor Energy per week.

It takes 60 Monitor Energy materials to finish off the feat which translates into 60 weeks, thus 15 months, thus almost a year and a half of having to get groups together every single day to grind through old content for this feat (and that's on the low end). For some piece of gear that's still actually relevant in current content, that's understandable. For something which people aren't playing much and to have to still grind it to that level because of poor RNG? That makes no sense.

The rarity of the drop for the individual is balanced out somewhat by the number of players running it when it's current (or even near-current). Leaguemates and friends may have extras they'll hand off to help out and there will be those for sale on the AH. The opportunity for access to materials via these paths diminishes as the content falls out of popularity.

[IMG]

I have the feat.

This was probably the most disappointing response thus far because it really encapsulates the views of many to not look beyond their own wants when requesting or commenting on something. Why on earth would I post a thread like this if not for my own benefit, right? [IMG]

I posted this because I ran the duo and alert with a league mate the other night who was still working on these. Our run put him somewhere over an estimated twenty times without a single Monitor Energy drop and that put me on the thought path to "why are these things still so rare when no one is running the content any longer". The next step on that path was "if he's having this much trouble, imagine how much trouble it would be for someone new to the game, not in a league or in a league that's not very active".

This isn't like the feat for killing 5k Paradox Reapers in Central City where you gain definite progress from every kill nor feats like In Prime Time, Prime Numbers and No Tag Out! nor the bounty feats where you can eventually just overpower them solo if you wait long enough. It's not even like leveling up Artifacts nor Augments as those materials drop at a far greater rate (many of which, if not all, can be purchased through vendors and/or with SC).

There's no business nor gameplay reason for leaving the drop rate for these items as high as they are once they have reached a certain age or low-use threshold. There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising the drop rates on these materials to give such players an impetus to keep playing the content instead of something which dissuades them from doing so.
  12. Magnificent Loyal Player

Yet you ran away from the challenge of making a new character on a separate account to prove how little difficulty there is to it.
  13. Shalayah Committed Player

I don’t see a problem with keeping it the same. The monitor energy is tradeable so it’s not like you can’t find them on the broker and I’d assume that as of now they’re rather cheap since it’s out of relevancy so it’s not like you’re just forced to grind the materials and have no alternative way to get them.
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

While I'll agree with you on the fact it's extremely tough to get it done, as the items needed are purchasable/tradable and still in content that's run pretty often, or purchasable (the last component) for source, I'd say this one is a bad example. Now...yes, a scratch character won't have any money or Source to get most of this done right away, most people playing for a few months should be able to get them. I don't even think the world forge essences are that much...just the Monitor energies really, which are obtainable in the duo, which can be run every day PUG style.

Now....go build that OP head from Atlantis....those collections are random and drop infrequently...and cost an arm and a leg to get via the broker/trade.

For the record, I do believe the drop rates could be increased A BIT. Ideally if you could pick up one Monitor Energy (or canary cry, or whatever) every other run or so, you'd still be grinding for a lot of runs to get the job done.
    • Like x 1
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I challenge you to grow an approachable personality and make some in-game friends. You have 60 minutes.
  16. Magnificent Loyal Player

I completed that over a decade ago.

Your turn. How's that new character coming along? You must have some Monitor Energy drops by now, right? Right??
  17. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

It took me about 15 months to get the op belt collections. 6 of us in league ran it all every day. Some of those 6 were done with theirs and giving others the rare collections. Even after I finished my own, we still ran solos and alert daily on multiple toons till everyone was done.

Atlantis, I just finished. Cost probably close to a billion. But never ran any atlantis content. And then the 400 sources to buy last collection. So there's 2 ways to skin this cat so to speak. Grind or buy. Buying has gotten harder due to less players running but the ques do seem to pop pretty often since I'll go in randomly to try and get them to sell. They go for about same prices as they did while relevant tho since they're still tied to a feat.

So in conclusion, turn it up a bit but no reason to make them drop like candy. 15 months while it was relevant content is not much different than 15 months now unless we start talking about certain areas or consoles with lower population.
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That must be why everyone is just lined up to play with you... o_O

Look I never said it wasn't difficult to pug old content. I said go look for people that also need to run it. It's faster. Faster than trying to argue with me on a moot point. I don't have to prove anything to you. You're the one that want to setup imaginary restrictions and expect the rest us to live in your world of self imposed impossibilities. No ma'am I don't subscribe to that.

Stop making excuses for yourself and go build a group or is it too impossible for you to ask someone to play with you?
  19. Magnificent Loyal Player

This would be a really great point if I had made this thread because it was all about me.

Or if I hadn't addressed this already just a couple of posts up.

[IMG]
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You were replying to someone else so I didn't read it.