Nova's Magic Mastery Guide to Sorcery

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Whizzkid, Feb 15, 2013.

1. planetkiller500 Active Player

Which weapon were you using? Bow into smoke bomb or martial arts into smoke bomb. I ask this because bow into smoke bomb hits harder for some reason.
  2. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Bow. How hard is the question. When the revamp first switched, I tried most of the weapons WM. 2h and 1h seemed to be the hardest hitting. Smoke bomb was ok.

Those using the smoke bomb. Try the tap hold hold on 1h. I was getting some big numbers from this. The tap tap hold hold was good for hallways starting out.
  3. L T Devoted Player

pretty sure tap-hold is single-target, so it should be hitting hard.
  4. mrx Level 30

Bow WM is still the best attack , but in Boss Fights in Raid not possible. All range attacks plain to low. After the Revamp Sorc is broken ,all loadouts for Range (AM,WM or Iconics) sucks as hell...
  5. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

You can melee in raids. Did it before I switched with 1h and now as rage. Just have to know where to stand.
    • Like x 1
  6. MastaMind Dedicated Player

I use the staff as my weapon. Truthfully it just felt like the weapon that matches Sorcery style wise. Really does not matter though. I initially thought that Sorcery was broken, but there was absolutely no way that I was going to give up easily. I was not about to pay Daybreak anymore then I have to. As far as healing goes since I switched to Sorcery I have never had a problem. When going against other healers I am dishing out double what they do, and in some cases 10 times the amount of healing out. As with any power I play I have alternate moves that I may or may not use. All depends on what we are running. I have 3 builds that are all super powered / PffT.

Healing:

Rejuvenate
    Ritualistic Word
    Invocation of Renewal
    Boon of Souls
    Soul Bolt (I think that is the name)

Circle of Protection

Most things all I have to do is throw down circle and shields. The Soul Bolt will dish out 1k damage per shot and can be spammed relentlessly. It heals ANY nearby allies including henchmen, pets, and even NPC allies. This makes it quite nice. There are several other circumstances where something else may be useful. Soul Well, Transcendence, and Soul Siphon all make their way onto my rotation at times. Soul Siphon will essentially turn an ads damage into heals. This works especially well in Elite content, but sadly it has no effect on a boss. Transcendence is a supercharge shield. I am not a fan of SC moves so I usually make absolutely sure my SC bar is entirely full before swapping this on. In certain cases where I know there is no threat of the team dying I will even swap in Grand Summoning, call out the pets, and then switch on whatever and enter the fight. I know that Grand Summoning seems super weak, but there still has to be at least some damage there and pretty much I usually always have a full SC bar due to how little I use them.

As far as DPS goes the issues with the projectiles was enough to almost make me quit the game. Especially after seeing that it was not going to be fixed. Luckily I was able to remove a ton of moves and keep up. I majorly reduced my DPS stats in order to increase my healing stats. So all of the mods in my OP pieces are Might/Resto. I switched the Might mod in the Starro Mask face socket to a Resto mod. I also swapped out my affinity mod type A and type B for the 1% resto boost, but I am thinking of maybe going dominance as it relates to shield strength and is hard to build up.

Soul Siphon
    Soul Barrage
    Final Ruin
    Fury
    Vengeance
    Circle Of Destruction

Vengeance is a very spammable move. It is the jackhammer of Sorcery. I can spam this and usually get "top DPS". I try to mix it up a bit more to keep things less stale. So I will usually do Soul Siphon to pull them to me and apply Bad Karma. It also hits for a decent amount of damage. After that pulls them right into my face I will use Soul Barrage close range so that it cannot miss. I only use this if I am right in their face. I have the restorative leg mod for this, and it is definitely a life saver as I have no healing moves on my DPS build. Then I just swap between Vengeance and Final Ruin. If there are tons of ads I will throw Circle down after I pull them on top of me for the DoT. I wanted to test the theory out as far as it relates to Vengeance. I have beat all of the "Top" powers in the game within these new RWC duos. So if you want to tryhard DPS with Sorcery all you need is Circle, Vengeance, and occasionally a Final Ruin/Soul Siphon/Soul Barrage.

Battle Healing:

Vengeance
    Soul Siphon
    Invocation of Renewal
    Boon Of Souls
    Circle Of Protection
    Soul Bolt (Again, I may have the name wrong)

Basically spam shields and boon to keep everyone alive. Invocation is only for emergencies. Soul Siphon will deal damage and throw the PI just like above. It will also pull enemies. Pretty much spam Vengeance and Soul Bolt. I spec'd all of my SP into my Crits for both damage and healing then I put the rest into Might/Power. It is pretty effective. There are several times where I have out damaged full on DPS players.

As far as mods go: I use the head mod for Circle that returns 3% power. Since Circle is essential to Sorcery it just makes sense. I use the Neck mod for restoration. The back mod to reduce the cool-down of Boon Of Souls. The restorative leg mods for Soul Barrage as a DPS and Offering as a healer. I use empowered channeling for the hands and deadly block for the belt.

All in all I think Sorcery is still a very nice power. It would be nice if the projectiles issue was resolved, but this power still has a lot to offer if used right.
  7. unitedmeck Well-Known Player

Anything new on this cause im not sure if the update fixed anything.. Karmic backlash buffed?? Why the range is terrible. Any new loadout. Not really seeing damage increase on soulbarrage may 100 added to hits if that.
  8. L T Devoted Player

Soul Barrage got about a 17% buff. Its base damage when all 5 projectiles hit is really high now.

Karmic Backlash is ok for clipping melee weapon attacks. It's only useless if you want to pfft.
  9. unitedmeck Well-Known Player

So any valuable loadout from anyone currently plaing this power or am i they onl one left.
  10. L T Devoted Player

I started playing some again. Currently weapons expert using 2handed. Load out is
    Fury - offering - soul barrage - supercharge builder - weapon of Destiny - grand summoning

In between boss fights I swap in whatever for gs. Most of the time I'm clipping double or triple gold combos. When I need to range I use arrow storm mastery.

It's effective, but I'm finding hold-hold-hold-clip to be kind of monotonous.
  11. unitedmeck Well-Known Player

Ok ill add that 2 an armory try it out currently im running soul siphon soul barrage soulbolt transmutation vengeance finalruin
    Or soul siphon soul barrage soulbolt super builder vengeance finalruin
    Or soul siphon soul barrage soulbolt super builder vengeance arbiter destiny then loadout 1 in arbiter.
    Damage per sec 6500 low high 10k spar, 8k to 12k in mission.
    Have not tried weapons expert sp not enough only 290 ish.
  12. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Has anyone compared fury to non fury rotations? I was messing with sorc on test last week trying to play it as hybrid and I parsed higher without fury then I did with him. Would it be the same as PFtT?
  13. L T Devoted Player

Since Fury is CR based, I'm reasonably sure it's always going to do best with precision-heavy builds, or builds with few or no mods. The lower your Might, the better Fury will look.

Hybrid and Precision rotations will also depend heavily on your weapon choice. The only ones I could make work in content are staff and 2-handed. YMMV
  14. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

When I was still sorcery, I dropped fury for robot sidekick. Fury is still the weakest pet, regardless if your powering it or not, it's a damage loss.

Ranking pet strength it goes crystal, robot sidekick, then fury.

One of the many reasons I can't stand to what they did to the power.
  15. Vagrant Committed Player

My rotation I made, works for me and I've played elite with this load out.
  16. planetkiller500 Active Player

# non pet loadouts need some love, i cant believe this thread is still going lol.
  17. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Vagrants video is probably the best your gonna get as a PffT. Sorc plays much better as a weapons focused, like most powers currently. Get you a bow and DW, and you'll be set.
  18. L T Devoted Player

Seems like if you're might based you'll do more damage with Soul Well or Circle than with an unpowered Fury.

You should definitely use Baleful if you want a weak supercharge that does less damage than all the other supercharges. Otherwise stick with Polymorph. Arbiter of Destiny *should* be able to do great damage, but (like you, I guess) I could never quite find a winning load out. It cuts cooldowns exactly in half as far as I can tell, but it also alters animations-- and I think most of those end up longer. You can have 3 soul wells out at the same time using Arbiter of Destiny.

I'll retest Grand summoning with and without Offering when I get around to it, but the last time I tested you could clearly see it powering all your pets and causing them to do their various special attacks.

Grand Summoning and Fury are both really good for a precision based load out, because everything is scaling with your CR, so you don't need any might at all for them to do strong damage.
  19. L T Devoted Player

Not sure I ever published my CR166 sorcery numbers:

[IMG]
  20. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Arbiter will never be a go-to supercharge for DPS numbers. Even in the past when it was one of the best SC powers, it still would not generate as much DPS as others.

Arbiter is, however, still a break in case of emergency power. Specifically, its is for people who pug in raids a lot, and do not trust the healer. When a solo healer dies and is being revived, Arbiter can be used during that small 1-2 second window as an emergency secondary healer who will never die while still being able to pump out sustained DPS.

In the past, Arbiter could also be used in situations where power incoming was bad due to bad trollers. Now, that is kind of moot with passive power regeneration and automatic pot mechanism for controllers.
    • Like x 1