Nova's Magic Mastery Guide to Sorcery

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Whizzkid, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Oberon83 New Player

I'm having trouble getting good damage numbers out of sorcery. Just came back after a while away, and decided to try sorcery (until water finally hits). Damage out not so great, and really struggling with power management. Have tried a few different builds from guides. Still not great. (Currently using offering, shard, COD, transmute, fury, and grand summoning. With handblasters). Any advice? I know sorcery didn't get an update for mid range, right?
  2. L T Devoted Player

Nope. No mid-range update-- but what that really means is that you don't do extra damage at melee range. Fury will hit harder inside of 12m but not extra extra hard inside of 7. Your rotation should be something like:
    weapon attack->offering weapon attack ->shard weapon attack->transmute weapon attack ->offering
    If you use more than two abilities after offering, you're on your way to running out of power, so choose a weapon that gives you an attack that fits in with this timing. I wouldn't bother keeping circle out except in boss fights.

Also, you'll want weapon attacks that build supercharge faster. If you can get 2-3 Grand Summoning's into every boss fight, you'll probably top the damage chart.

My own personal load out:
    Offering - Weapon of Destiny - Shard - Soul Well - Fury - Grand Summoning
    To build supercharge faster, I use Two Handed -> Arrow Storm weapon mastery. Sometimes at close range, I'll use doomspin. Powers (other than offering) aren't generating that much damage for me. If I'm low on supercharge, I'll just clip Offering with WOD and do weapon attacks over and over to get my hit counter up. This works extremely well for me. YMMV.
  3. WildcatHunter Committed Player

Hey LT how is 2h wm stacking up to flip slash or scissor kick?
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I wouldn't run soul well. Stays out to long keeps you in combat, bad tanks will get you killed. It's is awesome, but living puts out more dps that worrying about the soul well. I just clip 123 offering, shards, transmute. Other three power WoD, fury, GS. I only change my load out for some boss fights. Will take out WoD for CoD, sometimes.
  5. L T Devoted Player

The weapon damage is not as good as flip slash. It's close to SK. But it generates Supercharge way faster than either of them. If I'm looking for flip-slash type melee damage I can do offering/WOD into doomspin and hope nothing blocks. When it works out the doomspin ends just as offering comes off cool down.

That's a fair point. I generally only use SW once every 2 minutes outside of boss fights just to get the crit bonus from having an add die close to it.

CoD > WoD in damage pretty much every time... but I just like having something to clip with.
  6. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Yeah I rarely use circle anymore.

If your looking for another weapon to try, if your prec based, staff melee. Have not tried it myself with sorcery, but ran with an earth player and was doing some good damage with it. Couple people in my league and myself were watching him. He was just doing the square tap tap hold hold clip power. Haven't seen anyone using this in awhile.

2h is good for range. Since it's all about the SC, it's not a bad choice.

I just like the dps feel of 1h flip slash. Feels like old school dps. :)
  7. WildcatHunter Committed Player

Yeah its fun and active trying to stay out of melee in raids i enjoy it as well.
  8. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

I still prefer solar flare clipping. I know it doesn't do as much damage as flip slash buts it's more fun to me
  9. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Bump, just because. ;)

Has anyone that plays sorcery been on test? What's the dps and healing like?

Are there actual options to dps with sorcery on test? This power has always been limited on the powers it can use to dps or heal effectively.

Anyone trying anything new live with the new content?
  10. L T Devoted Player

I've tested sorcery (though not on the 1.5 build yet).

Fury is still very strong, but not overpowered like it is now. Watcher is MUCH stronger dps-wise, and fairly decent healing wise-- but watcher is only powered by offering. Grand Summoning is still extremely powerful, but it's now a 100% supercharge.

Not running with Fury or Watcher there were a couple of load outs that seemed to work pretty well. You could stack DOTs and use weapons (that might actually work even better with WM buffed in the latest build) or clip weapon attacks with medium cost powers. Since power is limited and cool downs are fairly long, building supercharge and running Arbiter of Destiny was an extremely strong move. Cool downs for most (all?) powers are cut in half when you're arbiter.

Final Ruin was pretty good in boss fights.
  11. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

So final ruin has gotten some love? It's been bugged, or whatever, for years. That's awesome! Sounds like it will be a blast to play with. Thanks for the info. :)
  12. L T Devoted Player

Well.... it was very strong in some of the earlier builds, and a good "play from the tray" power. In the latest with the weapon buff the channel is a bit weak if your enemy isn't below 35%. Still, it's better than useless, which is what it was.
  13. WildcatHunter Committed Player

Unless they scale fury dmg with stats rather than cr I'm having a hard time believing you won't see a lot of inconsistent damage in the future. The whole system is being balanced around stats but they are leaving fury and crystal hanging out in 2016. Will probably nerf both in the future similar to what happened in the past and they will more or less be there for glamour purposes.
  14. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

From what I've read, on test, fury hits harder than crystal currently. They have not done anything about fury missing when shooting his power. That is the one part of sorcery they really need to fix.

You are correct, leaving fury and crystal CR based is a mistake. I don't know what they will do about it though. Currently on test, if you run pets, you can only wear high end CR gear. You would be punished for wearing old elite or OP gear. I think this is was lazy on the devs not to come up with a solution or go back to how it was and remove fury all together.
  15. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Y'all healing is mid tier and strictly just because of power usage
    You lost soul siphon as a burst heal. You lack 8 man burst.
    But the good news is that you have slightly more range and I mean ever so slightly more range.
    Transmutation and Shard of Life need to have bigger range and you need Soul Siphon back.
    Soul bolt is a decent battle heal move which has a decent range to it.
    Rejuvenate is a Max render distance (60m) priority heal now.
    Soul Bolt is 25m
    Soul well is 20m now. You lose the knockout burst in exchange for stronger hots. They said it was "unreliable"
    Circle sucks ***. Weak hot and you can't step outside the circle and retain the healing.
    Shard of Life is a localized burst and hot up to 7m
    Transmutation is a localized burst up to 7m
    Rit Word is your bread and butter. Tbh it should have retained its three tick fracture burst. It just worked. It's Max range allowed and has Admonish's live cooldown.
    Watcher's remedy and Grand Watcher's Remedy is mediocre.
    Grand Watcher still gives burst of power.
    Bad Karma no longer produces healing.
    Transcendence is alright.
    Arbiter of Destiny is tied with Consecrated Ground as best Supercharge on test for Support.
    Polymorph and Baleful irrelevant still.
    Invocation of Renewal is a strong hot now.
    Boon no longer reflects damage

Your power costs at base level are mainly in the 300 area excluding Rejuvenate.
  16. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

So on test, our only 8 man heal is a hot? And they feel this is acceptable?
  17. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

I find 2h/bow works well...could be just another opinion though
  18. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Yep your only reliable heal anyway.
    Trans and Shard too situational.
  19. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Hello fellow sorcery players. Just wanted to see if anyone is using different load outs for the new DLC. I've had to change mine up from a burst to more dots.
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

On the outdoor stuff, I only use Soul Well when I'm filling the 411 mission, to maximize kills. If I've finished that, I swap out Soul Well because otherwise it aggros lots of adds I don't need to kill and thus slows things up.