No Will Smith?! No thanks! MIB International

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Helderman, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Helderman Dedicated Player

The fourth film in the Men In Black franchise premiered worldwide today, with Chris Hamsworth and Tessa Hampson replacing Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.
    Let the bomb begin!
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Actually, from what have seen in the trailer ads, it looks great, even has a dig at Thor (he throws a hammer and the bad guy catches it, and he says "That was an incredible catch!")
  3. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

You do realize that some actors get too old for a certain role, or just don't want to play the role anymore? Are you not going to watch MCU films cause Cap and Iron Man aren't going to being there anymore or what?
    • Like x 1
  4. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

these days will smith makes me cringe. i cant remember the last time i enjoyed him in a movie.
    i also didn't care for tessa in the role of Valkyrie in the mcu movies however here she steals the show. girls on the way up.
    the movie was meh, not bad, not overly great. better than mid 2 and 3.
    all it does is reinforce there is nothing i want more in this life than to nail chris hemsworth repeatedly and without shame.
    he's so pretty.
    • Like x 1
  5. Helderman Dedicated Player

Because Ghostbusters 2016, Terminator Salvation and Son of the Mask were wild hits, right?
  6. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Different casts can be a hit or miss. In those cases, those films weren't hits.

But did you not watch any of the Superman films after Chrisopher Reeve? Did you not like the Dark Knight trilogy cause Michael Keaton wasn't Batman? I'm guessing you don't like Heath Ledger's Joker's either, cause that isn't Jack Nicholson. And if you did like Ledger's Joker, I'm guessing you're not going to watch Joaquin Pheonix's Joker? And, if you didn't like Spiderman Homecoming, did you not like it cause of the movie itself, or cause it wasn't Tobey Maguire playing Spiderman?
  7. Helderman Dedicated Player

All these characters were on the mainstream decades before the films came out. In the other hand, Terminator was an original screenplay so was Ghostbusters (which is referred until today as "a Bill Murray film"). Few people knew MIB was a Marvel comic before the film came out so most people associate it with Will Smith. Even less knew The Mask was a Dark Horse comic before the film with Jim Carrey came out so a sequel without Jim was doomed from day one.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wait, What? Nothing of what you just said makes any sense! o_O
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Okay, just looked it up, and MiB was originally published by Aircel Comics in 1990
    That doesn't really change anything: Smith (and Jones, he was better than Smith anyway) was just one of hundreds of MiBagents (heck, you even had Michael Jackson trying to be one), "MiB International" is simply showing different characters in the MiB-verse: judge it on it's own merits, not just because some out-of-talent actor is no longer in it
  10. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Will Smith? Out of talent? Just saw Aladdin a couple weeks ago and he very much still has the talent (In my opinion). He has another film coming out this year, called Gemini Man, directed by Ang Lee (who directed Life of Pi, Brokeback Mountain, and 2003 Hulk). He's still a fantastic actor. Favorite films of his include MIB and Pursuit of Happiness.
  11. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Just watched the film, it was alright.

Speaking of Will Smith films, Pursuit of Happiness was pretty awesome, and has his best acting in his career.

And Tessa Thompson... her acting in this film could use some work. I like her as Valkyrie and in Westworld but she could do better in her acting.
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Figured adding 'now' before 'out-of-talent' would be too glunky, just like adding 'POO' was not needed as obviously that was just One Idiots Opinion
    And for the record, enjoyed "PoH" as well
  13. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Agreed. Just like most people don't realize there was a Justice League International comic as well.
  14. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Okay, I'm going to be 'one of those people' for a minute. Neither of those two movies were original screenplays.

Terminator was taken from the Harlan Ellison's 'The Outer Limits' episode 'Soldier'.
    Ghostbusters was adapted from a Saturday morning kids program called 'The Ghost Busters'.

Both of these were well established acts of plagiarism which had lawsuits tied to them. Ellison did finally get his name added to the movie credits. Unfortunately, Mark Richards didn't get as much credit as he deserved for Ghostbusters. Though, the production company Filimation did get license money so the movie studio could use the name.
    • Like x 1