No Roleplaying Community in DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Street Shinobi, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Street Shinobi New Player

Hello everyone!

I've been playing this game since around the time it launched. I enjoy DCUO to the fullest when I play, and I think the combat is fun, the stories are fun, and doing the grind of raiding and alerts can be fun as well. However, I feel there is one big major missed opportunity in DCUO; a roleplaying community. I am aware there are some roleplaying/RP leagues, but they are extremely difficult to find. The game doesn't really support many emotes or 'custom' emotes that other games have (IE the /me emote that allows you to write colored text for roleplaying).

With such a rich lore behind DC comics and behind this game in general, I'd just like to know if anyone else is enthusiastic about roleplay support for this game, and if anything is being developed to support RP at all. I recall around launch there was a 'secret identity' idea that hasn't come to the forefront yet, but it is a great opportunity to try it out now that we have hideouts and armories.

I think adding social instances/centers could be fun to hang out as your heroes and villains, or maybe develop a neutral zone where heroes and villains can hang out as their secret identities or costumed forms. Just a thought, I'm sure it probably won't happen, but if anyone else enjoys roleplay even on other games, I'd love to know who you all are in game.

Also, I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong section.
    • Like x 12
  2. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

I would support this functionality in DCUO. At the minimum i would like a location made explicitly for that purpose such as in Champions Online with Club Caprice. However this community is one of those...less than tolerable ones when it comes to trolling people and focusing on nothing but numbers (even though the game itself is very casual-friendly). Now i am of a different sort as i played DnD for a few years and so i much prefer RP being connected to an over-arching story but this game isnt likely to get that.

So once again i support it, but i dont believe that the devs will implement it since the RP-enjoying community is a minuscule minority in DCUO
    • Like x 2
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I wanted to make a hangout for roleplayers in one of my characters bases. Unfortunately, I had to cancel that, because there seemed to be no-one who'd be interested.
    • Like x 2
  4. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

You would be better off with a League Hall
  5. Supergirly Dedicated Player

Um... go check out my forum. There is LOTS of RP in DCUO, on PC side. Trust me. :)
    • Like x 2
  6. Street Shinobi New Player

I'd be interested in supporting it the Base-hangout idea! Even if its just a few people, I don't mind.

Also I agree, I think getting RP involved in the over-arching story can really help this game's community and growth a lot. Having some kind of interaction beyond PVP with villains too, or even just something to do other than race, grind, and PVP.
    • Like x 1
  7. Street Shinobi New Player

Thanks Supergirly!

Still, I think getting the /me emotes would be a handy addition...
    • Like x 1
  8. BumblingB I got better.

Roleplaying unfortunately got killed off early on by the archaic chat system. :/ This game lacks it completely and by now, it would be very difficult to motivate players to participate unless something ground breaking was added to the game. Who knows, the new UI might fix some of the flaws, but I'm skeptical now. :(
    • Like x 3
  9. Supergirly Dedicated Player

RP was not killed off! I RP everyday with lots of others. We have RP leagues and leagues, and a full on community. Stop saying it is dead, cause it's not... trust me. We have RP events and such too. We RP here and we use the channels, cause they work. They work better than in some other games in fact.

Everyone can see you RP in a channel, so people can join in. We RP face to face, so the channel is like /say, only global. If you want to learn more, please go to www.dcuorp.com and look up the Greetings area. I wrote a guide there to help you find out where most of the RPers are. Oh and it is PC only, sorry PS. I do not have a PS, but the forum is for all RPers, of all kinds, related to DCUO.

- Kara
    • Like x 1
  10. Azrael New Player

Rip in echo is very small but some there are more role players on pc than ps but with impending changes of cross playing. It will likely increase the rp in dcuo. My league is rp league on ps- http://theorderrp.freeforums.net. Check it out,
    • Like x 1
  11. winter13 New Player

By role playing you mean playing as a fictional comic book character in a video game? Or do you mean something else? The secret identity idea sounds like people are trying to make this a completely different game. This is an action mmo, not a turn-based rpg. Just my opinion though...
    • Like x 1
  12. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

Turn based =/= RP, these 2 things are not required for the other to exist...as for RPG... this game is an RPG due to it's skill/power system as well Role system...literally the definition via a game standpoint
    • Like x 2
  13. Supergirly Dedicated Player

Um... RPG is not Role Based standard. It means to play a role, as in act out your character as if they were people in a world. It is just like acting in a movie. You play your "role" as in your character, interacting with other characters and the environment. I have never heard of the term Role Based Game, cause that does not exist.
    • Like x 2
  14. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

the lore of this game ended for me when I saw heros and villains hanging out and talking in versus chat like they were "supposed" to be "friends"
  15. Captain Just New Player

I'm always down for a little role play.
    • Like x 2
  16. Street Shinobi New Player

By secret ID, I meant this

17. Supergirly Dedicated Player

You can use armory to make several secret IDs. :)
    • Like x 3
  18. Street Shinobi New Player

..Wait there was a better trailer. It seems DCUO took it down, It showed players going from civilian gear to their costumes.
  19. Supergirly Dedicated Player

That is the exact thing I do with armory, lol. So I am not sure what you mean now. Have you even tried an armory, if you have more than one?
  20. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

I've pugged stuff with a few rpg players it was different you can't help but laugh when the earth tank is using broken English like the Hulk or the hard light troller is doing the Green Lantern oath when he does his super charge.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.