No offense daybreak...but the cr “gift” is broken

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AJPro, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Thunderstrikke Well-Known Player

This. As someone who has spent alot of hours earning those skill points (playing since 2013), just giving most of them out for free doesn't feel right. I think I'm ok handing out up to 250 (mainly because finding folks to farm the old content feats is tough), but no more than that. PVP feats seem like a good place to "give them away", considering 1) the devs admit they aren't focusing on PVP at all anymore 2) Have you tried to run anything on that side lately? ugh. I went back in after not playing for years, and it was awful. No one queing to start, and then about 75% who do que were just annoying in the sense 1) they were using annoying strategies learned from youtube videos constantly (dog form, anyone?) 2)They were poor sports (yes, you got me dog-boy; I'm bored and conceding, please just stand on the circle and end this misery). My "return" lasted a week. I got like 80% of the PVP feats, so this wouldn't be a huge boost personally; I'm just trying to save the innocent that still need all of them.
    • Like x 1
  2. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

Alternatively you could have run the seasonal, which would make the new content last longer. Also, don't forget there's a seasonal in February and March too! Then again in May!
  3. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

if I recall right they had a dlc release during at least one seasonal the last few years....
  4. Black Jaq Devoted Player

That's the point though. Ive quite had my fill of the winter seasonal.
  5. not_again Dedicated Player

PVP including dueling and LPVE feats should have been awarded years ago. These modes have been abandoned by the dev team and like other abandoned content the feats should be rewarded. Plus very few people did LPvE legit ;)
    • Like x 3
  6. Darth Piper Loyal Player

TBH, the "Skip to X" token was originally meant for people who want to create a new alt and not have to spend as much time leveling it up to end-game content, and could simply replay a lot of the feats to get the SPs up to where they are supposed to be. Unfortunately there are no "safeguards" in place to prevent a brand new player from doing exactly the same thing, thus skipping past all old content and getting into much more recent stuff without ever having learned the mechanics. Trouble is, nobody queues for the old stuff any more... and when they do and arrive in the instance they're a lot higher of a CR than what was originally required to enter that content in the first place... so they overburn everything and the at-level folks (if there are any in the group) never actually learn what to do. Basically the "Skip to X" tokens are a double-edged sword.
  7. DCspawn87 Well-Known Player

I did CR relevant content on a cr skip atomic tank and I performed just fine. Maybe, triggered "elitists" incoming, sp don't mean as much as some want to believe.
  8. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Not necessarily. Some feats got easier... such as complete the instances in under X minutes. Some, however, got harder... as an example, "Elite Restraint" in Blackest Day (elite). If you're a high CR tank and you have to grab and control the Mark V security construct, you will cause a lot of damage because your stats are a lot higher than what is expected... so there's a much higher probability that you will end up killing the Mark V a lot sooner than expected just by using Mesmerizing Lasso on it. The same could be said about "Omega 13" in Darkseid's War Factory (reg)... or "Bobbing for Golden Apples" in Olympus (elite)... you'll burn the boss a lot faster than expected, even when everyone other than the tank basically sits down and does nothing.

Yes, it will be much easier to simply complete these instances with the much-higher-than-expected CRs... but at the same time the feats will be much harder to complete simply because controlling the damage to the target is nowhere near as easy.
  9. Nodens Dedicated Player

Um, No...…..
    Players taking advantage of the CR boost are simply (if mistakenly) expecting to operate at the new tier they are now being given access to.
    If we were to use your "fine dinner" analogy, and use it correctly, it'd be that the players are being served a fine dinner, but not getting any freakin' silverware.
  10. BumblingB I got better.

If you are going for those feats, I think a strategy would be in order... Like only one attacker or only the tank attacks or have a the tank take off some gear and have the healer just keep him alive. Most of the feats you mentioned would never be attempted with a random queued group.
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Without combing through the list, it looks like there might be a few more to add. We did get to a point where we didn't want to add DLC feats, but I suppose anything is possible.

Question for the group, though - does adding those 19 more skill points make a big enough difference to those feeling unequipped for the tier they land in? If not, how many skill points do you think would be appropriate to play at CR255?
    • Like x 1
  12. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what's preventing people from just taking off the high CR gear (and maybe replacing it with low level gear) for getting that sort of feats? Granted, you still won't necessarily get all the rewards you would "normally" for that content (CR relevancy based on your maximum potential CR rather than actual current CR), but in terms of damage output and the like, your stats will be greatly reduced taking off all that high CR gear.

It's arguably a shame they don't allow you to imprint armouries if you're below certain thresholds in what skill points you've assigned, since if you could do that you could imprint something with only the essential skill points allocated - neutralising for that sort of content the stat gains that skill points would give.
  13. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Oh, trust me I know. A couple of DLCs ago we put together a "Bobbing for Golden Apples" group... healers were allowed to heal, and only the tank could attack Zeus. We almost didn't make it from the damage that Zeus took.
  14. Darth Piper Loyal Player

You'd think it would be that simple. About the only thing I haven't tried is something one of my league mates very recently suggested: purchase some of the DLC gear and wear that instead of the high-end gear we have now because when you wear that it would force the system to use those pieces of gear to determine your stats instead of what's in your inventory.
  15. Proxystar #Perception

By the time you're in JLD which it's cr255, yes, you'd want to have enough skill points to get your weapon moves, movement mode the damage or support role crits and 100 marks into the stat buff of upper choice.

So the answer to that question around 180ish - I'm working off memory.

Honestly though selling that many stat points is a double edged sword, you risk diminishing the achievements of others by allowing people to pay to be lazy and if you do which feats do you choose to decide "hey we don't care that you had to earn this anymore"?

Selling SP is frought with hazards in my opinion

There's also more too it than a lack of SP that the community is probably being a bit dishonest with you about, it isn't just SP, it's that you've boosted a character to 255 with no source marks for their mainframe and no generator mods, this significantly impacts their characters abilities you perform at tier.

The issue with SP of course is instead of giving them SP wouldnt it be better to try and find ways to direct them towards all content even though they've boosted past it rather than simply looking forward and struggling.
    • Like x 2
  16. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Give a example that it would realistically take to finish a capsule. If it's more than 150 your better off using gold sites
  17. BumblingB I got better.

I agree with most of what you said, but I also think what you are pointing out falls into the careful what you wish for category of change.
  18. Proxystar #Perception

Curious, which part and how so?

If you mean giving them 180sp, well yea that's cause Mepps asked the question how many do you think they need, I think that's how many they need.

Should they be given them cause they bought a boost or got a frree boost? Hell no lol.

To clarify too and perhaps for Mepps also, if a player is cr255 with 100sp they wouldn't struggle in lower content unless they're completely inept, even then they're so overgeared they probably still won't struggle if they start at the start.

The issue really isn't SP it's making those players actually want to play the game and put in the effort, that's kind of hard to do when you've already sold them a boost :)

They have to want to go and play that older content and especially the DLC stuff and something in game should push them there, cause seemingly the desire to have more SP alone doesn't seem to be doing it.
    • Like x 1
  19. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

while 180sp is the minimum to be effective I don't exactly want to see that much just given up, however I do think that if they found a way to say give so many sp (im thinking 100) for the free skips and then maybe 125 for purchased jumps along with some Source Marks(in both cases but obviously more in the purchased jump) would be a fairly balanced way to do things....
  20. Proxystar #Perception

That would require them to make 2 different types of boosts, the one we're given for free is just the one people would otherwise pay for.
    • Like x 1