New powers...Weak and lacking imagination.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GregDawe, Aug 15, 2014.

1. AtrocitusOmega Committed Player

the devs thought otherwise lol
    • Like x 1
  2. Proto1118 Committed Player

Besides Munitions, I think Atomic and Ex. Serum will be awesome.
    • Like x 2
  3. Captain Domino Committed Player

Sounds like yet another salty lantern fan. The new powers are cool and add to the variety of powers. We already have 3 lantern powers, I think we can use a break from them honestly.
    • Like x 2
  4. Azrael New Player

I wonder if anyone that is attending SOE live can inform me if the devs game any inkling to future powers such as water and/or shadow powers.
    • Like x 1
  5. BigAl Devoted Player

Normally, I would avoid these threads because it turns into bickering and I usually get moderated. ;)
    You should know that this type of thread will only stretch out into pages upon pages of back and forth with no clear result except anger and disruption.
    And the red part.....I was amongst the naysayers for Rage. I have eaten my words (quite tasty as I have impeccable flavor) and I don't see why they won't include another Lantern power SOME DAY. We don't really need another at this moment, as this game would surely be referred to as GLUO.
    In truth, before we bash "words and ideas" before they even come to light, we must open our minds to ideas that may be outside of the box. We just may not see it at this moment.
    • Like x 3
  6. Milutin Mujovic Well-Known Player

Maybe you don't know how to count, but we have only 2 lantern powers. Hard Light and Rage.
    • Like x 2
  7. Valsmurf Loyal Player

I'm not there , but I did watch the keynote. Jens asked what is one of the most requested powers? People answered "Water!!!" so he said "besides freakin' water!" then people immediately said atomic which is what he wanted to hear.

later on he recapped the 3 new powers and someone yelled "what about water? " All he said was "water is wet"

On a past fnl someone asked him if there would ever be water powers. Jens said it is highly unlikely because they know our expectations and they are unable to meet them with the current limitations on the ps3. He said he would love water powers and since he's an Aquaman fan, he would love nothing more than putting water powers in the game, but what they can currently do would turn out underwhelming.

He didn't completely rule it out though, but it's not going to be soon that's for sure.

Hope that helps :)

As far as shadow powers, I have 0 info on that, sorry.
    • Like x 1
  8. Azrael New Player

Thx. Water won't be here til PS3 is dropped and even the devs don't know that b/c they can't predict when the majority of ps3 users move to the ps4.

But Shadow powers def. seem more reasonable... by the choice of powers One thing is clear..we DEF HAVE A VOICE in power choice.
    All 3 powers are the most requested from people on the forums. So I think having Shadow powers is feasible esp. with the dark celestial powers.
    • Like x 2
  9. Captain Domino Committed Player

You have green lanterns, yellow lanterns and red lanterns. All of which are playable.
  10. Feenicks New Player

Green lanterns and Yellow lanterns are the same, just some different animations. Heroes cannot play yellow......villians cannot play green. But they are the same.
    • Like x 4
  11. SaintWalker46 New Player

Green and yellow are the same powersets and only change colors based on affiliation.
    • Like x 3
  12. MinuteMaster Well-Known Player

No, we have two, not three. Heroes cannot play Yellow and villains cannot play Green. We have three lantern corps, but two playable powers.
    • Like x 3
  13. Milutin Mujovic Well-Known Player

In power selection menu, there are 12 powers to choose from. According to your suggestion, that would be 13, which is not true. As Feenicks said, Green and Yellow are the same power with slightly different shapes and different color.
    • Like x 2
  14. Sir Arcanium New Player

Well I don't feel like reading 11 pages of messages... but the original post had it right. The idea and name of the powers are not that impressive, but that doesn't mean the powers themselves won't be. The idea is simple because the Dev's had to work with what is already in the game. Bane and such like effects are common in the game due to Bane, his minions and other effects. Same with Munitions, very easy to do. Tons of gun, explosion, etc effects in the game. Stuff like HL strafing run could be re-skinned to work for Munitions power.

Atomic is a bit iffy, but nothing really amazing. I'd imagine it could get away with a lot of the showy light effects, perhaps some of the ace chem effects for toxic attacks with different color.

So yeah how they look, and the idea might not be the most original thing ever, but they are working with animations that are already in the game to save space and memory. What the powers actually do should be interesting however. Pretty much every new power did it's job in a new way. I really hope atomic goes the route of dmg prevention for healers. Raising party's defense, more shields etc. We already have good burst healer, HoT and safety net healing in Nature, Sorcery and Electricity. Even Celestial is a bit of mix with good dmg thrown in.

A healer with better group shields, perhaps 8 man SC that doubles every one's defense? That would be awesome.
    • Like x 4
  15. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

DCUO has TWO lantern powersets - it's true - Light & Rage. But DCUO has THREE lantern corps to choose from: Green Lantern corp, Sinestro corp & Red Lantern corp. That's a difference. One player can create three differently colored lanterns - Green Lantern hero, Sinestro corp villain & Red Lantern (align doesn't matter).
  16. silverlight1023 New Player

Let's be real.

These powers are just a cop out to make the game last another year or 2 before the PS3 is dropped.

They can't simply get rid of it anytime soon, but they still have to release content for it to not lose the player base. They said they freed up the memory on the PS3 to add 3 new powers, but they will most likely reuse assets in order to create them. idk, I'm not too confident. I wish these powers were being created specifically for the PS4. Munitions would be phenomenal on there. The PS3 doesn't even have enough memory to even render parts of the world correctly, let alone support 3 new powers. I don't even think all 3 of these will come out within the year. maybe 1, 2 tops.

I'm grateful the devs are working to give us all this stuff, but I personally wouldn't mind waiting until they weren't held back by memory limitations so they can create some more imaginative & robust powers & content.
  17. SaintWalker46 New Player

While I did want a blue lantern powerset, I would have settled for other powers had they been interesting. Atomic, I might check that out, but munitions doesn't interest me at all. Just my personal opinion, but yeah, not looking forward to that. And experimental serums? Is that really going to be the name? It sounds so....forced. Also, pretty sure that could be classified as endorsing drug use (doesn't really matter to me, it's just something I thought of) but...yeah.
    • Like x 1
  18. SaintWalker46 New Player

3 lantern corps but 2 lantern powersets. We are saying we want another lantern powerset.
    • Like x 2
  19. silverlight1023 New Player

to be fair, I'd much rather not have one until the PS3 is gone. They most likely would not have been able to expand on it animation wise if they tried to put it on the PS3. it would have been a let down.
    • Like x 1
  20. SaintWalker46 New Player

While I am a ps3 user, if ps3 is holding the game back then I agree that they should drop it. I'd rather enjoy the game after working hard to get it than have a game lacking in expansion on my old gaming system.
    • Like x 1