New Nightwing Model

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Penryn, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Zneeak Devoted Player

I think the screenshot that was provided shows lacking textures as compared to other remodels they've made. The emblem on the chest seem to have very poor textures on it, the actual armor overall is what they usually do a great job with this far on most of the remodels.

The face looks wierd too, not necessarily the textures but the facial expression. It kind of kills it. IMO the face is one of the more important parts to nail across Iconic characters. All the shiny, cool armor in the world doesn't save Wonder Woman from looking like the strongest male among the female Amazons in her latest remodel. :rolleyes::D
    • Like x 4
  2. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Again. Thats what you see. I don't. That's fine.
    • Like x 1
  3. Zneeak Devoted Player

Well it's what me and several others saw aswell but if you like it, that's good for you.
    • Like x 1
  4. stärnbock Devoted Player

once more they faild to improove what looked not so bad at all... i liked zatana and constantine, but this falls into the botched new model group, like superman... it just hurts to see that new model in e3 and everywhere else... more like genericman if you ask me.
    • Like x 2
  5. TritonD3 Well-Known Player

A new model? That means it's time for all the super professional artists on the forums to give their super professional opinions on how they're all terrible and the old models are better. Did anyone actually go on the test server to see Nightwing in person? The blurry picture doesn't do him justice. (On the subject of WW, she is very often drawn with masculine features in the comics depending on the artist)
    • Like x 2
  6. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Yup. I mean, I feel sorry for the artist. It's not easy to hear criticism as severe as there has been against these facial designs.

But still, they look awful to me. I can't apologize for not liking them. Instead, I've made my opinion known and I hope the designs go away soon. The original designs were several orders of magnitude better, so I'm not sure why they changed them. Change simply for the sake of change is for people with no confidence or skill. Change from something beautiful to something ugly enough to make people cringe every time they see it is a tragically poor choice.
    • Like x 1
  7. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I've done some side by side comparisons if anyone was curious just how bad the old model looks in comparison (from a technical stand point):

[IMG]

[IMG]

The most likely reason is that the old models look terrible by today's standards, from a technical point of view.

Sure, you can absolutely argue that the design (as in attire, hairstyle etc.) of the older models is better or that the new design isn't good. That's fair enough. Personally, my favourite design for Nightwing is the Arkham City design, so I'd have made him look more like that with the floppy hair and the padded armour, if I was making him. But the new model does have his Rebirth look, so it makes more sense for 2019.

However, from a technical stand point, the new models are vastly superior in almost every single way.

They have better quality materials, featuring higher resolution textures and special textures like Reflection/Roughness/Specular maps which control how shiny and reflective materials are, as well as better Normal maps, which add minuscule details that would otherwise have to be modelled into the character. They also include a lot of Ambient Occlusion details on their models now, which embeds fake shadows into the crevices on the model, for added realism (see the tie/collar, the folds on his jacket, the details in his hair):

[IMG]

The better materials react much better with the terrible in-game lighting, to better represent the material they are supposed to be. For example, this is the exact same model, but with modern textures:

[IMG]

The models themselves usually have higher polygon counts too, meaning the models look more detailed and on par with brand new characters being released in more recent episodes. Here's an example of what more Polygons can do (I believe the new Doomsday has the same amount of Polygons as roughly 4 old Doomsdays)

[IMG]

The new models were most likely built using tools such as zBrush and Substance Painter, which have rose to prominence and become industry standard in the years since models like Nightwing were created.
    • Like x 1
  8. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Constantine is a clear improvement.

Nightwing.... not at all. :(
    Anything that made Nightwing interesting visually is lost in the new version.
    • Like x 2
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Wonder Woman is perfectly fine. There are other characters who haven't been updated.
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

In your opinion. Obviously the team and their WB/DC liaisons feel differently since they approved the work.
    • Like x 1
  11. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Unlike the things that actually affect gameplay, this is the one are were our opinions aren't to have much influence in making any changes. They'll change the designs sometime in the future when they decide it's time for another update. That won't be anytime soon, and it certainly won't be because of a few opinions on the forums or Facebook/Twitter.
  12. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Then update the model. Don't throw out the design.

To be completely clear, I'm talking about the design of the faces, and the faces only. I'm not talking about the modeling or the clothing. I'm talking about the aesthetics of the design. And the new aesthetics are... lacking. At least they could have gotten an actual comic book artist to do new facial designs if the Jim Lee stuff couldn't be updated. These look like they were done by the lowest bidder.
  13. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Have I ONCE said this wasn't just my opinion? I mean, seriously. This is a forum. Why do you folks who like the neanderthal Wonder Woman assume that I'm stating some sort of fact? I'm not a goddess, my word is not law. Duh. OF COURSE, it's my opinion.

Sheesh.

I even said it was my opinion, repeatedly, and yet you still somehow feel the need to keep beating that dead horse like it freakin' matters or something.

As for WB/DC liaisons, they likely aren't artists and likely barely glanced at the faces since the costumes matter considerably more. Again, that's not a fact, that's my opinion. Because apparently I have to say it's my opinion in every freaking post or some people will get upset and think I'm telling them what to think or something. As if I could. If I had *that* power I wouldn't be wasting it here.
  14. RealTegan Dedicated Player

No, but maybe next time they will find an actual artist to do the facial designs instead of turning iconic characters faces into mush. That's the only hope I have for this, since it's clear that neanderthal WW and doughy Superman are here for the long haul. It won't make me quit the game, but I now hate playing any content with those characters in it because they look so wrong.

Of course, it's not as bad as the dialogue mistake they made with Captain Marvel Shazam in which he says "Shazam" and doesn't change, thus indicating he's not actually Shazam. But that's been in the game forever since it's part of the level-to-30 missions. But I've never been able to trust that character in this game, because he's clearly a fake.

All of those mistakes and bad art ruin the immersion value of the game. So I hope that, when they do updates in however many years, they will get real artists to work on the facial designs. I hope they remember all the complaints about the lousy design and find someone who actually has experience in comic book art, and in making iconic faces. Because what they've got right now is just not cutting it.
  15. MrMigraine Devoted Player

This may not help, since we all have our own Headcanon as to what is right and wrong in our fictional worlds, but I feel that I should point out that there has been at least one version of Captain Marvel/Shazam where he has to say the word 'with intent' for the magic lightning to strike.

https://www.cbr.com/shazam-billy-batson-name/2/

As to the Nightwing design: I prefer the comics' sleek black and blue Jim Lee design to the Rebirth design (the blue mask just looks weird to me). However, I don't see anything wrong with the new model.

On a completely different note, I wanna see Disco Nightwing! How about a flashback? :D
    • Like x 4
  16. dresserball Dedicated Player

Fine is ok, but she was great before. I was think they might do a Gotham Blades DLC because that Wonder Woman looks like a big ol hockey player.
  17. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

For you. Yeah. Again. Not going to make everyone happy. There were people who disliked the old designs. Some i liked some i didnt. That being said. They are not going to change anything because a few people on the forums dont like it and continually insult the artists who created them. For me personally it adds to my immersion seeing versions that more closely resemble modern hero's. You're making a lot of assumptions here. Why you would assume anyone working with dcuo and working for DC wouldnt be diligent in making sure designs were up to bar is beyond me. But you can assume that if you want.

The truth is this. Most players are either... A. Don't care what the npcs look like. B. Are totally indifferent. C. Actually like them. But they don't come to forums to praise it. Its just there. Its not an issue for them. There's a handful of people on here who dont like the design versus the other 90 some odd percent who its just not affecting. Its fine you dont like them and wish there was one everyone liked. But there will never be. I for one felt the old character models made the game feel dated and less immersive. So again. Thats fine.
    • Like x 1
  18. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I'm curious what versions you are looking at that even vaguely resemble the new designs in DCUO. Please, provide some scans so I can see this neanderthal WW in an actual comic book. I've NEVER seen a WW that looks that bad in any media, game or comic, so I'm not sure what "modern heroes" it's supposed to look like. Since it looks like a neanderthal, it seems like "modern" is the last descriptive word I'd ever use for it.

But I'd be interested in being proven wrong. If you've got scans of WW in a recent comic that looks like this neanderthal version, please share them. Same with doughy chin-less Superman. If you know some comic art that is that bad, I'd like to know the comic and the issue, scans if you got 'em.

I mean, I've seen some *really* bad artwork in comics, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find out someone drew WW and Superman that badly... but I've not seen them looking that bad in any comic book I've ever read. So if you have proof that they look like "modern heroes" then by all means let me know so I can see for myself.

This is a genuine request, by the way. I really would like to find out what aesthetic you are looking at, because I really haven't seen it in my own reading.
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We get it, you don't like the WW model. That's not an excuse for you and Raquetball to insult her every single time the subject comes up. We heard you, you don't like it. But guess what? The NPC was not made specifically for you. No one cares about your aesthetic. If you don't have anything else to add other than basic insults I suggest you have a seat and keep your negativity to yourself.
    • Like x 1
  20. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Wow.

I asked for examples of the art. That's what I'm adding. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if recent comic book artwork that is as bad as the models in the game can be produced.

If you have a problem with that, there's this lovely "ignore" function you can use to avoid reading my posts.

I have every right to complain about crappy artwork. THIS IS A GAME BASED ON A FORM OF STORYTELLING THAT USES ARTWORK. If they can't get the artwork right, it's a problem. At least I'm not whining about a dozen other done-to-death topics like stat clamping. Heck, if every person on this forum that was negative stopped posting, there would be no posts here.

Every time the topic comes up I *WILL* complain, because the artwork is JUST. THAT. BAD. Unless someone can provide me some examples of recent comic book artwork that looks just like the models in the game. At which point I will concede that I was wrong to criticize the game and aim my wrath at whatever artist drew *those*.

So, go on, hit the ignore button if you have a problem with me continuing to post. Perhaps I'll do the same for you and we can both live happier lives?