New Material Ideas

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by JasonIsley, Dec 12, 2016.

1. JasonIsley Devoted Player

If you want to complain about something, make your own thread, don't do it here. If you have an idea for a new material feel free to share. If not, please leave.
    • Like x 5
  2. damirgabriel Well-Known Player

For only one reason: it is bad direction. ;) Nothing else... If it is good one, i'd regard him bigtime...

What about premium fellas? They have SAME "BENEFITS" from the beginning of the game. That's different topic again, i know... Just saying, instead of pushing something where only those with bunch of money can have, why wouldn't allow others to achieve some things in time or so. I don't know. I just think there are more things to be done and fixed than pushing new thing that cost like 200 mil $ on broker omfg... How tha hell can someone as premium even buy that? Or collection that cost 100 mil $ and so.

I'm sorry if i'm trolling a bit, won't do it anymore, but i really had to express my opinion about all this.

Sorry once again man.
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i would love it if we could do this. Both materials are lots of fun as is but their real potential would be realized if you could slot them.

i would also prefer to see future materials placed on the broker as well. i'm confident the amazon time capsules would have sold just as many stabilizers with the emblems and the feats, the shim tar gear and the exobytes so much so that not putting the phoenix mat in its own category for sale on the broker is actually kind of a poor move. Shame that such awesome additions to the game can't be enjoyed by more players. Kind of like all that open space out in Metropolis thats just begging for some open world attention...

The idea of a "basic material pack" on the marketplace would be sooo sweet.

so so very sweet....
    • Like x 3
  4. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i sympathize for players trying to earn one with in game cash. i ended up generating about 120 million over the course of about a week. i was lucky enough to get a flaming phoenix feather for 92 million on the broker just at that moment of what was already a small supply shrunk up even more and even then i needed about 15 million more to finish off the other pieces to the collection i didnt have. the one i bought i bought the second it was listed as it was the only one on the broker. Currently if you can get your hands on a feather alone for under 120 mil you're getting a good deal...but the rest of the collection pieces have dropped off dramatically (molted gorgon skin for example was an 8-12 million piece for a length of time but is now running around 3-4 mil, 2.5 if your lucky) so realistically the feather is the only thing you need.

i would love to get one for my primary alt but it would be more a luxury than the necessity it was to get one for my healer. i just don't have the appetite for another money drive. we should have an in game kick starter.

maybe set up a real one for stabilizer addicts anonymous.
  5. damirgabriel Well-Known Player

Now imagine all that getting as PREMIUM, like me for example. You gotta bother people to buy something for you, sell things for you bla bla bla, and it actually destroys your will for the game heh. Gotta have someone you trust of course who won't scam you and such things since this game is LOADED with scammers and so on... I understand all that, but, in my opinion, only those who have EXTRORDINARY luck or loads of money can earn all those things... Regular way, takes FOREVER.

Anyways, i'm sorry for jumping in to this thread, didn't mean to sound jerky or so. Just, as usual, can't stay silent on things i think they're not right heh...

Once again, i apologize...
  6. recoil Committed Player

here here i concur. why don't we have more elasticity and diversity in styles? sure this is a super hero mmo but do all heroes/villains wear capes? the styles we need expanded most are: face, back, and chest. face wise we could use more masks, and i don't mean the classic hal jordan/batman and robin masks i mean ACTUAL masks. something like doctor doom, or reaper from overwatch, or some more stuff like *cough cough* the green man sage mask. back we could use wings( avatar of sin is so iconic it should have been in game in first place), more stuff like avatar bombardier missile launchers, and some more blades, chest could use some flair like more styles with symbols already on the chest piece, the spined minotaur chest from the af3 trailer was phenomenal looking, and maybe some styles to go with those high shouldered styles like astral alloy where the shoulder part of the chest stacks with the actual shoulders in a sort of dark magician style. the rest of the style items could be improved by open cross faction as villains have some neat hand and other styles while heroes have other style choices over villains. also i'm really hoping that with shimtar revealed we'll have more waist styles that incorporate swords and knives in them like maybe one with a sword on each side.
  7. recoil Committed Player

no problem at all. we're all thinking it right? we don't have forever because we don't know when they'll switch out the capsules again.
  8. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Here's the thing: Even though WE, the Players, can't set different Materials to different Color Slots, the Developers CAN, as exhibited on almost all of the Styles they've created for the game!

Here's just ONE example, one of my favorite Chest Styles in the game (because it's the necessary Chest Style for one of my characters), Hijacked Servitor:

[IMG]

The Yellow areas have a Metallic Material applied to them, the Red areas do as well (although it's hard to tell from that image if it's the SAME Metallic Material), but the Blue areas have a GLOWING Material applied to them. If the Devs can do that, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ALSO! That's really all we've been asking for.

Clearly, the coding is already there in the game to allow the Devs to set different Materials on different Color Slots, so they should open that functionality up to the Players as well. That's a perfectly reasonable request that should be doable, since the coding is already there in the game that makes it possible for the Devs to do it! ;)
    • Like x 1
  9. JasonIsley Devoted Player

I get what you're saying but that's not the same thing. Some of the style pieces we have in game are designed to LOOK like they're made of different materials. It's designed as 1 functioning unit with up to 3 separate zones we can recolor from a customized 4 palette tray. The Materials we can collect are different in that it just overwrites the whole base appearance of the style piece. What you're asking for I believe IS possible, but it would require a complete redo of the customization options on both our ends. I'm not sure if that would require them making changes to each and every single style piece in the game to give us this option. If it were you can bet it's never going to happen. 2 genders x 3 body options x 3 sizes, that would be 18 multiplied by every style piece in game. It's just a question of coding, limitations and manpower.
    • Like x 3
  10. Megzilla Developer

I'll try to explain this the best I can. My disclaimer is I am not a 3d artist so I'm trying to explain this the best I can, the best way I understand.

We have 3 elements in question here. Materials, channels, and shaders.

Materials: These are made up of a couple different properties - specularity (shininess), emissive (glowiness), opacity, normal maps (height maps that are painted). These materials rely on files created in Photoshop. Something like that chest piece which has shiny and matte textures on there, shares one texture space. So basically the shiny sections do not have their own file from the matte sections. It's all on one targa file (fancy JPG)

Channels: These are your RGB color channels. These are JUST color information.

Shaders: Our "materials" or "skins" are shaders. These are more complicated and frankly I am not familiar with all the bits and pieces as to what goes into shaders. However, how we texture characters does not compute with how shaders work. Shaders are kind of like mini programs and don't fit into how our system reads information.

As cool as it would be to apply these fancy skins into an RGB slot, it is either technically impossible or VERY VERY difficult. Material components are flat information whereas shaders are dynamic. I hope this is helpful and not utterly confusing.
    • Like x 17
  11. DanXVII Committed Player

That being said, would be awesome to be able change the 'flat' textures, for example on every piece of gear you have a drop down to select from silk, cotton, steel, iron, carbon fibre, elastic etc etc. Would make mixing and matching gear sets far more cleaner and customisable :)
    • Like x 1
  12. Megzilla Developer

Different materials like this would have to be dealt with in the sculpt itself.. There's only so much we can do with the spec. We are exploring locking more areas so that they can look really good (like the Shim'Tar gear). We do have some significant tech limitations but the character team is doing their best to work with it and make cool stuff!
    • Like x 5
  13. Arcee Active Player

Rorshach ink blot Material , prefrably not a TC item though xD
    • Like x 3
  14. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

Some of the citizens with that anti-phase matter skin in one of the new dailies. Not put in a time capsule and color tintable.
    • Like x 1
  15. Dethstryke Well-Known Player

I'd like to see one, just one, material that isn't locked behind a paywall bound by rng. I'm tired of all the ruckus everyone is making about TCs right now, but I think that's part of what's frustrating to many of us. The materials are awesome. We'd like to have one for our toon. We can't because they're so rare that even if we do manage to win the rng lotto, it would be financially irresponsible to use it when they sell for 100mil and up on the broker. It's a crappy system that dispenses, all too rarely, really nicely done rewards.
    • Like x 2
  16. recoil Committed Player

best suggestions to date:spiny material, circuit like or tron legacy material,metallic material, anti matter material(from anti matter citizens), holographic material, and krytonian crystal material. these would all work well with the current styles.
    • Like x 2
  17. RogerBlack Committed Player

^^ Holographic Material... Best idea I have heard of in awhile.
    This would be fantastic!!!

Wish I had it RIGHT NOW.
  18. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

was doing Nexus and a holo material / time material could be a sparring target or the bat / lex family from nexus and how it makes you all shimery looking ect
  19. Phen0menal Active Player

material I would like to see is the material from the enhanced Qwardian guard in color slot number 2. it has a shimmer effect that I think would be awesome one other styles
  20. Earth742 Well-Known Player

THIS!! ALL THE YES!!!!