New Market Place Request: Gear Unattuning

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BumblingB I got better.

Hey everyone,

Since Gear Unlocking was just an idea, I'd like to propose a new addition that would help as a replacement. A new marketplace addition called "Gear Unattuning"!

Simply put, it's a hand-me-down system. Gear that gets replaced on one character can be repackaged with a token purchased off the marketplace. Once repackaged, the gear becomes account bound. The catch is: this isn't the same as completely unlocking the gear piece. It's now unattuned. It would be like Time Capsule gear and the max item level would be whatever the max of the item was. This would make you think on when to open it on an alt and would prevent an alt going from 0-max with a few pieces of gear.

So example, take the Starro OP mask. It's max Item Level is 188. So when packaged, it would be from 10 to 188 potential. And if opened on say, an alt that is fresh 170CR advanced. Its item level would be only 152. To actually get it to 188 again, the character's CR would have to be 211.

There is a significant number of other games that have something similar to this and cost can be taken into account on over abuse if there would be any.

I made a few graphics to show, just drag the item to the packager and click enter. (Or whatever the controller input is.)

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I actually don't think the logistics and programming on this would be that difficult. CR calculations on what the item level will be is already in game when opening dropped gear. And this would help alts tremendously! The advanced to XCR is great and all, but it doesn't help overall alt players. It is more geared towards new and returning players.
    • Like x 2
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

How is this an improvement over the scaling gear we already have in game? Just because you get to select which piece you want to send to your alt or something? I'm not sure if there's something I'm not understanding about your idea.
  3. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Isn't there enough pay to win in this game? And isn't this basically what time capsule gear does? I guess it eliminates the RNG of the time caps since you aren't guaranteed gear in every cap. I just feel if you want better gear on any of your characters play the game and earn it
  4. BumblingB I got better.

It is because it would encapsulate all gear, including vendor. Time capsule gear works, but it still is random. And if it is priced well it would not harm the tc sales bottom line. I'd say 100DBC each with no way of getting a free in game with maybe 1 free a month for subscribers.

It would very much help alt players. Something that seems to always be neglected by the devs.

It would be an extension of the tc gear and help alts. They are making it more and more difficult to have any alt other than doing a seasonal or farming x material. It doesn't allow directly skipping and is a good compromise to the loss of the gear unlocking system.
    • Like x 2
  5. Shark Dental Devoted Player

It's not a bad idea, to help cut down on rng, but I don't really see it helping very much at all the alt problem. The reason is that your hand-me-down gear usually comprises one set or max 2 sets of gear (your main probably doesn't stockpile 5 or each item, in other words). Those 1 or 2 pieces would help fill in the blanks slightly, but not much considering how slowly scaling gear actually improves your CR.

I'm all for making it easier to help alts reach end game faster, and one would think the devs would be too, since it means more style purchases.

What about if the devs made the scaling gear you get from the vault account bound instead of bind-on-pickup? It would increase the value of the vault without jeopardizing end game progression since it would only be to get alts to the minimum CR for the DLC. Heck, they could make the event version's scaling gear account-bound as well. With the importance of styles in this game, you would think they would want as many alts as possible in the mix.
  6. BumblingB I got better.

You would think but it has been said that they don't want 0 to Max by Mepps. This is my compromise. It would not harm the advance to 170 it would help it. It would not hurt time capsule sales, it might even promote it so you can use tc gear first then better gear. It promotes playing the apt to get to the cr unlock stage. This more running of content.

What it doesn't do I don't see us ever getting. I've made many posts about dropped gear being account bound. I've asked for tc gear be account bound after attuning. If the only way to help alts is to pay then we need more options to do it.
    • Like x 1
  7. ChillCat Loyal Player

I believe the "skip to 170cr" is the best you're going to get. Add that with gear practically raining on you in game now and you should be able to catch up relatively soon
  8. BumblingB I got better.

Coming from someone who did similar to what you describe it is not soon. Even if you pay for replays to more rain you would have to stock pile a significant amount of tc gear to supplement and with rng and broker sales massive you are running dry very quickly. This would supplement the 170 scaling and promote alt play. The 170 is mostly for new and returning players.
    • Like x 1
  9. Shark Dental Devoted Player

It takes quite a while actually. I have 4 alts at endgame that were at endgame during E3.

Trying to catch another 3 up that were at 175 from AFIII is like pulling teeth. The discounted vendor gear does help a lot, as long as your main actually got the regular (not the elite) gear feat. Scaling gear offers such a small leap in CR, and you always seem to be missing that one stupid piece you need (you have 8 chests, 4 boots, 1 belt but 0 weapon or 0 neck, for example, lol). It's the perfect pace for people leveling only one toon, but for alts its too long a grind.

I support B's idea, but like I said I would take it a step further with account-bound drop gear (but only the event versions that only get you to the entry CR for the DLC). That way you maximize your chances of getting that 1 piece you need. Plus, let's face it, once you hit entry CR for the instance, the vault gear is worthless on your main anyway, so why not be able to pass that neck or ring to your alt?

It doesn't cut down on the gear grind for the DLC whatsoever, so I don't see what the problem would be.
    • Like x 1
  10. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

If you want gear for your alts, play your alts. Stop trying to use hand me downs to skip the minimal amount of work it takes to get your alts to endgame.

No, it doesn't matter if you have 16 alts. That's your choice.

You've been on this "gear for my alts" thing for like two years B, it's a terrible idea that would only shrink the already dwindling playerbase for non endgame content even more.

It ain't gonna happen.
  11. BumblingB I got better.

Far longer than 2 years man. And every update puts another nail into the coffin known as alts.

And you admit the dwindling playerbase. Ever wonder why? I'm pretty sure alt players are part of the exodus. Not sole reason, but part of.
  12. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

13. BumblingB I got better.

14. Knarlydude Loyal Player

This would cause lost revenue from TC's and one of the more pay to win things that I have seen. Nope Don't like this idea at all.
  15. BumblingB I got better.

How? You can dislike it just fine. Your opinion is very valid, but you aren't explaining how it would hurt the TC's bottom line and be pay to win?

It can't get you to max instantly. It would work ontop of the gear from TC's and Events. It would also work in conjunction to and promote the advanced to 170CR. It would be a bonus for the company and help alts come up.
  16. Knarlydude Loyal Player

All these games that we see today like WOW, DCUO, TERA and many others are descendants from the original RPG dice games like D&D. Trying to remove the RNG from a RNG based game is not a good idea.

The RNG being removed from the gear drops is what would cause the loss in revenue from TC's.
    Doing this would be like rerolling all loot drops you do not like until you get what you want. We still need to have RNG just to keep people honest & playing the game.
  17. BumblingB I got better.

Again, you'd still need those pieces since you can't just jump past them. It's no different than buying a piece from a vendor in that tier you are in. It doesn't hurt the TC's bottom line, it probably will put more value on them, so players could get to as high as they can go to use the hand-me-down item at highest Item Level.
  18. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Yes it would hurt the bottom line. You would no longer have to open TC's in hopes for a gear capsule and then the right piece of gear. Once you get it you have it. No more buying TC's. No more RNG and that gear depending on the RNG drop % would be based off of that. So expect to pay at least $10.00 to $20.00 to unattune that gear if it were to happen. Then we would be complaining about the cost.
  19. BumblingB I got better.

I don't think you grasp it. If you are just reusing the time capsule gear over and over again, that will get costly and would be cheaper to just go to the broker. The way TC gear and what I'm proposing works, is that the IL of the gear is based on the overall combat rating of the character opening. If you had a full set of TC gear you want to send to an alt, it would have to be repackaged piece by piece. And if the cost is what I suggested of 100DBC each, that's equivalent to a TC stabilizer. End game would be VERY costly if you sat there and repackaged over and over again a piece of gear to advance. The money will still go to TCs for the feats and new gear while they make more money off the people doing what you are attempting to assert. I mean heck, they allow 87 replays for the stabilizer event to get the people that want to reset it to realize it's just cheaper to buy a stabilizer.

I don't really understand your assertion.
  20. Knarlydude Loyal Player

You trying to come up with an idea that undermines the original premise of TC's & the RNG table that's involved that gets people to buy TC's for a dollar.

Edit*
    Me personally. I buy the TC gear from the broker & for the styles not the CR but I do understand why they are packaged the way that they are. Kind of like the old baseball & football bubblegum card packs I use to buy when I was a kid. We bought them in hopes of getting something awesome and a piece of candy.