New Idea Regarding Movement Mode Enhancements

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Grim931, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Grim931 Committed Player

I was thinking about a way to add something new to the movement modes as a way to enhance the speed or effectiveness without too much complication. I thought that it would be nice to have a speed adjustment for the two movement modes that do not use the left analog stick, seeing as how Acrobatics can change altitude with it.

It would effect the mode by using the left analog stick as a way to either increase or decrease speed. Holding it up or down would prolong the effect and releasing it would let it gradually go back to normal. I'm not sure how it would affect PC players, but whatever is used to increase or decrease altitude while in Acro's Rocket Assisted Glide would be the same concept for the other two.
  2. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

The fact that Acro's rocket assisted glide does that is basically the thing that really sets it apart as a long-distance movement style; aside from that, I can't really think of a situation where - as a Flight player - I would really need anything faster than Supersonic as a movement speed.
  3. Grim931 Committed Player

It isn't really about a necessity, just something else to make flying or running more immersive. Giving the player more control and maybe an opportunity to throw in some more animations for Flight or Super Speed along the way.
  4. Octantis New Player

I'm all for more reasons to use the Movement Trees. Kimone's right, though; there's not really a need for a speed boost, especially now with Teleporter mods.

I'm really not sure what they could add to the trees that would add legitimate value rather than just "fluff."

In my honest opinion, I don't think that the way Movement Modes were released left any room for additions to them.
  5. ZionThePowerful Level 30

He's talking about using the Left Analog stick to Increase or Decrease speed. I've always wanted to be able to do that because who really wants to have to teleport to your base to go somewhere if you had the option to turn on the jets and break past Supersonic speeds, getting from Little Bohemia to Chinatown in maybe 15 seconds instead of 2 minutes and some change? Just Saying, it'd be pretty neat. The DCUO landscape would be much more enojoyable by the flying populous, and the scenery of the landscape the gamemakers most likely worked so hard on would be much more appreciated.
  6. Grim931 Committed Player

I'll say it again, there is nothing about it that is necessary, just adding something that may have the potential to be fun. I feel like the movement modes are half of the fun factor in this game anyway, they are overlooked way too often and don't get nearly enough attention. They could be better, and the fact that Skimming was introduced and the change from movement "Modes" to "Types" have proven that now would be the time to add input while the devs are focused on them.

Like I said before, it could also change the movement mode appearance as well. Holding the left stick forward while flying could make your character use the iconic pose that has him/her putting both arms forward. Holding back slightly would slow down to a midway point with both arms at the side similar to Martian Manhunter. Super Speed could have a bigger speed blur, maybe having your character leaning forward slightly more and adding a motion blur to the legs.

Acrobatics doesn't have to be left out either, with the way it works it could also change positions similar to the mid-point animation of the double jump. With both arms out and the feet straight back while ascending/accelerating, when you change altitude your character could dive or climb similar to flight.

Skimming already has a really good animation for supersonic in my opinion, but any input would be welcome.
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Okay, addressing necessity aside :

This still doesn't change the fact that if this change were implemented, you're removing one of Acrobatic's selling points as a movement ability - by making Flight or Superspeed move faster, you're displacing its ability to maintain top-rank position in a long-distances movement situation.

Flight already has top billing in Overall Mobility, because hey - you can fly.

Superspeed already has lateral grounded movement nailed because hey - you can ALWAYS run.

Acrobatics, without Rocket Assisted Glide's speed advantage, is basically left with the fact that it sticks to walls. Like a plunger.
  8. Grim931 Committed Player

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying and I'm aware of how Acrobatics maintains this advantage. It's perceived by many as a glitch or abusing it's ability to do what it does. By changing altitude up and down in quick succession you are able to make your character fly/glide extremely fast.

That's where my problem lies, I don't think Acrobatics should hold that position as top rank in long distance. It already has the fastest way to go towards an object/building, on top of that it climbs up buildings faster than anything else. It's holding top ranks in movement because of these three points and I don't think it deserves it.

All of this aside I wouldn't mind if the Rocket Assisted Glide went faster while descending and a little slower on ascending. That way you could fly down in an arc and maintain speed, but you would not gain speed doing both repetitively. This would give it extra speed and it could keep up or pull ahead of the new movements travel speed.

Seriously, though, all I'm trying to do is make this game a little more fun an enjoyable for those who like the lore of creating heroes/villains and playing as such.