NEW abilities for OLD powers?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Boshin, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Boshin New Player

Everyone always enjoys a new power set release and I have yet to be disappointed in a power concept we’ve been given.

BUT what about our current power sets we have now I’m curious to see what the community and developers would think about introducing NEW abilities or superpowers to the current set of Powers we have now.

What I’m suggesting is adding 1-2 (maybe more) new superpowers per Power, as well as a Supercharge Ability. As a personal hardcore Sorcery fan, I’ve felt a bit disappointed in having nothing new come to my Power.

The meta does change with new artifacts and balance changes (which are appreciated) but the fact remains that I still have to use the same abilities with the same animations I’ve used since I started playing at launch.

I’m not sure if this is asking for too much, so I’d like to hear what the rest of you have to say. The idea of having a few new abilities thrown in seems like the right timing right now, as opposed to a new power, considering we are at a balance of 5/5/5... 5 Healers 5 Tanks 5 Controllers

Hopefully we can get some Developer feedback telling us how likely or unlikely this idea is to happen. Let me know what you guys think!
    • Like x 5
  2. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I hear what you are sayingast each addition would essentially have to be a DPS powsr. But the I think, that's 15 abilities and fairly ambitious to figure out what each power can benefit from, so maybe some new Iconic abilities would be better so people aren't limited to just one new ability but maybe 5 or 10. But the I think 15 abilities is halfway to a whole new power set that sales of respec tokens would help offset cost of development. So there are probably better ways to use resources IMO.
    • Like x 4
  3. Cyro Committed Player

If you take powers from legends and from iconics you would have more than 2 for each power
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We've been getting new powers via artifacts.
    • Like x 2
  5. Luis Rios New Player

I would say mechanics....new powers? Not even close
    • Like x 4
  6. Luis Rios New Player

I like this idea...it would keep the game and old powers fresh. If a new power isn't available, adding a moveset to the powers or the iconics would be awesome.
    • Like x 1
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Oh so Talon Strike with it's Bleeding PI isn't a new power?
  8. Luis Rios New Player

I'm guessing strategist card, soul cloak etc...are new powers also? They do add new mechanics to the powers, but this post is about adding new movesets to specially older powers.
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Did I say they were? Talon Strike is a new power that you can put in your loadout via the Gem of Horus. Ask for powerset specific artifacts and your wish might get granted. At least this way development can cash in on making something new.
  10. Kuno Loyal Player

At this point every powerset is old.
    New habilities for each powerset and new iconic powers is what the game truly needs, in the gameplay topic.
    • Like x 3
  11. Luis Rios New Player

"Via artifacs" yes you did.
  12. Boshin New Player

That does make a good point, personally I thought people seeing new abilites in their old Powers would be a motivation to switch powers to try them out. In my mind I thought it would be sacrificing a new power set for some love to old ones considering they’d have to come up with something like 30 brand new abilities for the completely new power but iconic powers would be a good middle ground as well. I know it takes a lot to add new things like this, just wanted to see if it would be possible, I know it would freshen up the game and bring some players back. I can’t help but see some friends and even some content creators express some boredom with the same routine though so I thought getting some opinions on this idea might shake something up. Thanks for the feedback!
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Did I specifically say Strategist Card or Soul Cloak? No. Please don't put words in my mouth. I gave you a specific example of how they are introducing new abilities to the game.
    • Like x 1
  14. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I agree with this. Page of Destiny and Claw of Aelkhund modify existing abilities into something new. Solar Amplifier also gives Amplified Heat Vision which is a new ability. If you are still ranking SA and you have Heat Vision imprinted in an armory, you eventually have to imprint Amplified HV.
  15. Boshin New Player

That would be pretty cool to add, if every power got its own artifact it would still end up changing up the play style In a major way and daybreak( or dimensional ink?) would still profit from sales of perfected nth metal or detectors. Possibly even still having the effect of people wanting to switch powers to try them out. I wish we could get some developer feedback though.
    • Like x 2
  16. Black Jaq Devoted Player

And it kinda depends what the ability is. If it adds something clearly missing from the power, for example, a good AOE DoT on Atomic, then yes I agree. But then there will always be the disconnect over what different players think a powerset needs vs what the Devs think it should have. And as The Lorax suggested, some Artifacts grant new abilities, basically new Iconic abilities. That's why I think a whole new power set is ultimately better. Gives players something totally new.
    • Like x 1
  17. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Technically SA just gives you two powers Fire already had. Overheat and Spontaneous Combustion.
    • Like x 1
  18. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/question-regarding-all-powers.293496/

I have made this suggestion years ago and with the same amount of additional powers you mentioned. Strange.
    • Like x 1
  19. Boshin New Player

20. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Indeed. I really hope the devs tell us something soon.
    • Like x 1