NEVER MONETIZE PVP!

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by FrankZappa, Aug 30, 2021.

1. FrankZappa Well-Known Player

There is a terrible idea that pve players have when it comes to pvp. they think the only way to fix pvp is to monetize it but in reality this would be a death sentence for pvp. The reason people do not play pvp is because it is unbalanced and broken, to force players to pay to play broken pvp would be the end of pvp. why would anyone pay to play pvp in a F2P game when you can barely even get a 5v5 Q to pop? The top f2p pvp games do not monetize the pvp and yet are extremely successful like fortnite for example. if the devs do not know how to make money off pvp that is their failure as a game company. All they have to do is make pvp good by putting it back to the way it was during the golden age of pvp 2011-2013 and everything will be fine. The devs have no idea how many pvp players would pay to change their power to whatever power was the strongest that month or even change their power to every single power in the game just to figure out which one would do the most dmg. the devs have no idea how many pvp players spent money just to change the name of their character after they lost a scrimm. I went full sub because of pvp and ended sub after the devs ruined it with weapon mastery and counter delays. you do not have to monetize pvp you just have to make it good and they will pay for other things like content to get skill points and so on.

The people who present this idea seem to be pve players, you know pve players those people who would get mad at you when you would beat them in a duel with pvp gear on. they would then inspect you see that you have pvp gear on and go "lol pvp gear" as if you are some how cheating by having it on. and you would look at them like umm ya pvp gear is for "player vs player duh". you know the pve players who before buffs existed in arenas would go into arenas with pve gear on and get one shotted by e pvp geared player then complain that they must be hacking because they do not understand that they need pvp gear for pvp and did not even know where to buy it. you know the pve players who never understood the golden rules of dueling (no soders, no SC, no henchmen or trinkets) they would then duel you and use soders and henchmen and you would be like umm no you can't do that in a duel and they would argue that they can because they had no idea how us pvp players did it. ya those guys.

keep in mind console players are mostly pvp players and the most successful games on console tend to be pvp games not pve only games. to attract more console players solid pvp is a must.
  2. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

At this point, if they was to monetize PvP, I would support it, because it would mean more content for PvP in the future, hope you guys see this Developers.;)
    • Like x 4
  3. Puppet Master New Player

devs are scrubs
    • Like x 1
  4. Lucerne Active Player

Just give PVP literally anything at this point
    • Like x 1
  5. Trykz Dedicated Player

“ keep in mind console players are mostly pvp players ”
    False.
    If this were true the game would have died when pvp did.

The ability to monetize pvp would mean a complete revamp for pvp.
    They would not monetize a broken system, what would be the point of that.
    You make a lot of sweeping accusations and assumptions, but no real argument against the only real idea to fix pvp that I’ve seen.
    Pvp is dead because it didn’t and doesn’t make DBG any money, until THAT changes, it will remain dead.
    • Like x 4
  6. Wallachia Devoted Player

No, they are not. You won't get your point across by inventing fake facts like this.
    • Like x 3
  7. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

PvP isn't even close to being as much played as PvE, not on PC, not on console, not on your toaster. If that was the case the game would be dead, because not only PvP queues take forever but also because PvP brings in no revenue.

Monetizing PvP is a must in the future, it's the only way to make it attractive enough for DInk to spend time on it. I don't know if they didn't try it yet because it's too much of a risk, but they should.
    • Like x 3
  8. StealthBlue Loyal Player

They did try monetizing PvP in the past, by placing loot locks on PvP instances. That didn't go over very well, as you could imagine. Now that we have the daily login system (with free and member paths), they could do something similar with PvP. Instead of daily login, each reward level could be tied to some form of PvP participation. If they make that separate from the current membership, the revenue from the PvP pass could be directed solely towards improvements in PvP.
    • Like x 3
  9. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I mean, that was a really long time ago, DCUO was still SOE, since then they didnt try anything.

The right way in my opnion would be to have pvp style specific currency that has loot locks and feats and a cheap seasonal battle pass with marks and a enhaced style.
  10. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

They did monetize it in the past and that helped kill pvp.
  11. Trexlight Devoted Player

We all remember Last Laugh and the devs remember Last Laugh and we shall never have Last Laugh again.

Best Monetization idea for PVP, Battle Pass. When done right, it'll be great. If too greedy, it'll make pvp worst off than it is now.
    • Like x 4
  12. ItsSeven Level 30

As someone who was in a top PvP league(Disqualified/NyQuil) when FNL was a thing, they should monetize PvP. It’s the only way you’ll get any sort of fix to it anyways. The game/dev team isn’t big enough to be stretching themselves thin or allocating resources to something where the reward is too risky. The other part of it is that they don’t know how to fix it without drawing a huge negative reaction which has happened in the past. Some of it was because they changed some of the combat or powers for PvE which in turn also negatively effected PvP. It won’t make them any money and the community hated almost every change they made so they ultimately abandoned it. Until there’s a good incentive(monetization) for the devs to fix it, there will likely be no PvP revamp.

With all that being said, I can go into an essay of what specific things should be fixed, but there are two HUGE bandaid fixes they can do relatively easily(I think) that’ll solve a lot of the issues with PvP. Bring back the RPS system, it’ll solve the issues with spammers and shield abusing combat since they’ll always be debuffed by an opposing role, not to mention it’ll make 4s and 5s scrims interesting as RPS required a ton of communication. For anyone who doesn’t know what the RPS system is, it stands for Rock, Paper, Scissors, in the context of DC, it meant trolls debuffed healers, healers debuffed tanks, and tanks debuffed trolls. I’m not exactly sure why they got rid of it, but it should be brought back if they ever revamp pvp. The other thing they can do is bring back role specific gear. I have to grind out both my roles in PvE, why not in PvP? There is also absolutely no reason why support roles should have similar might and prec as dpses while having the benefits that comes with being a support role(shield strength, healing, mitigation etc)

There’s a 3rd, but I don’t think it’s as simple due to the way pvp is played currently since people don’t really use their weapons unless its a weapon scrim and the obvious powers aren’t susceptible to counters anymore or rifle 5 tap, but the 3 second Immunity timer is also something they should bring back as that will also help tanks in PvE and rewards you for getting counters in PvP
    • Like x 4
  13. thedemonocus Loyal Player

PVP has always been broken, too many exploits, hackers and broken powers that are way too OP and it only got worse over the years not better. They should should just scrap pvp and either start over from scratch or get rid of it altogether.
  14. Max Maximus Well-Known Player

I don't like PVP and please don't mix PVE with PVP. I hate The Last Laugh DLC for having PVP. PVP should be completely separate from PVE. Want to monetize PVP, I pay not to play PVP.