Neon Chroma Material and the paywall. I regret it.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Lodestone Active Player

Lol i was a bit confused, i also read your concern in your comment but somehow i read in it that you found the recent (actual) content more important to fix then everything else. Its cause English is not my first language probably. I looked back the comments and were on the same page here:) back too topic...
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

you didnt answer my question. how much money a month do you think we should be shelling out for what we get?
  3. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I was agreeing with another which is similar to what they said but about knowing stuff about the game or whatever the post was. So I made the comment I did.
  4. TestReporter Loyal Player

Lol, I've been out of the game and forums for about a year and there are still people complaining here because they didn't get a TC item. You guys never learn uh, there's a reason everyone has been completely scammozed by Jack in the past years. At least they didn't introduce any money sucking machine after artifacts, or did they?
  5. Terri Ashra Committed Player

I think the gold spammers are more moral than dbg at this point
    • Like x 1
  6. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I look at things this way who sells more cars? Ford? or RollsRoyce? Daybreak is too focus on selling Rolls Royces.

Biggest issue, they few 1-2 % people who do spend hundreds of dollars to obtain the items, they look at those and think they dictate the average player will spend.

The Devs never gave the market place a fair shake, I bet if neon was on the market place, it mostly would sell.
    • Like x 3
  7. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

I think current membership cost is just fine for what we get in return.
  8. Brit Loyal Player

I don't. I think it's appalling.

The vast majority of the things the that the membership provides can be purchased by premium members as a single, one-time-purchase done a la carte, and significantly cheaper than subscribing. If you were only planning on playing for a month or two, subscription is a great way to go. But if you plan on playing for years, the way many of us have, you can quickly see how the subscribers spend a whole lot more and get a whole lot less.

Let's just look at Episodes, for example. A subscriber gets access to all Episodes. That sounds amazing. But they only keep them as long as they are subscribed. Now what Episodes do you actually use? I spend about 90% of my time in the most recent Episode, because the lower level stuff has no rewards and has ridiculously long queues. Even if I wanted to play an alt, I'm most likely doing it through the Event version of the most recent Episode, just so that I don't have to spend so much time waiting. Metal II dropped in December. Birds of Prey will come in April. That is 4 months of sub that I am paying as a Legendary member to have access to Metal II, while a Premium player just dropped a handful of dollars and they get to keep it forever.

Even if that old stuff is really important to you, it's all about investment and timeline. Instead of sub'ing, you could buy 2 Episodes per month and still have money leftover. Eventually, you would own them all, while the sub is still just renting his. Players who went Premium years ago can quite easily own every single Episode by now while paying far less than what a sub has.

Extra inventory, character slots, and so on, those are also one-time purchases. You buy them once and you get them forever as a Premium player, while the sub is expected to pay for them all over again, every single month, as a part of his subscription. And if you un-sub, even after 9 years of paying, you instantly lose it. Most people agree that a one time $2 purchase is far cheaper and more effective than paying $0.50 per month forever.

Then there are things like Stabilizers. A Legendary sub gets 2 extra fragments per day. At the end of the month, that adds up to be 4 whole Stabilizers. A $4 value that is returned every single month. Awesome; we're on the right track. Except the sub costs $15 per month, and almost everything included doesn't fit this same model of adding value every month. Most of it is us renting what would otherwise be a one-time purchase. So if a Legendary player drops his sub, goes Premium for a month, and then spends that exact same $15 on Stabilizers, you know what they get? They get 15 Stabilizers. And 15 is more than 4.

The Legendary sub is a great value, provided you plan on playing the game for less than a year. It is only good for new players stepping in who don't want to invest a bunch of money up front. But longterm players will get far less by being sub'd than they would have by being Premium and paying the exact same amount of money just on Daybreak cash.

Except for the cash cap. The cash cap is the one feature that the premium players can never get around. Most subscribers are paying $15 per month just basically for the unlimited cash cap. And since currency duping and item duping and economy destruction has put so much of the tradable options out of an honest player's reach, paying a ton of money for something that don't really get to utilize the way it was intended is becoming less and less attractive.

If you'll look in the other threads on this topic, I have extended amounts of math where I totaled up the value of the everything the sub gives you for a year when compared to buying the exact same stuff as a Premium. It's a ton of boring math, but the end result is that the subs pay a whole lot more to get access to the same stuff, and then if they ever un-sub, they lose it. And paying extra so that you can RENT something that would be cheaper just to BUY is always going to be a bad deal.
    • Like x 3
  9. Dwild Well-Known Player

I stopped buying stabilizers a long time ago. They have deliberately inserted artificial rare drops simply to keep people reflexively buying stuff...like people in Vegas shoving coins in slot machines because they think they're going to get the jackpot. Case in point, Silver Lightning collection off current DLC...have gotten 10 of the 12 items. 7 of them out of normal TC's bought normally, not cash. Spent about a million game bucks for 3 more. Now need Lightning Rod Which is on broker for a minimum of 88 million bucks and Speed Force Energy Collector which was on the broker for more but now isn't there. Not going to pile up a billion game bucks to get a visual item I probably won't use. Problem is, there's a ton of players out there that WILL spend money forever just to get a sparkly thing. And with each new TC coming out, anything you needed out of the old TC's gets more expensive because people aren't opening old TC's...planned rarity piled on top of use rarity.
  10. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

See, here's the thing... ALL of these TC styles will EVENTUALLY be available from the in-game Boo$ter Gold Vendor in your HQ (Watchtower/Hall of Doom) for Quarks. You'll just have to be patient and wait 2-3 years for that particular Time Capsule to be "retired". That's what I did with the Void Material. Did I waste a boatload of time and money chasing down the stupidly rare Collection Pieces to pull it out of those Time Capsules? No. I saved up my Quarks, and once Boo$ter Gold had it, I bought it from him with the one character of mine that needed it. No prayers to RNGeesus necessary! ;)

What Daybreak... oops, sorry, I mean "Dimensional Ink"... is making a ridiculous amount of money off of is the impatient players that are inflicted with the "I Want It NOW Syndrome". :rolleyes:
    • Like x 2
  11. Ryazan Dedicated Player

I recently got a neon for 999 million on broker. Was it worth it? Not much, honestly, it doesn't glow enough for my Star Sapphire. lol

If I want it on other characters, I'd rather wait for Booster Gold to update his inventory now.
  12. SekretVillain Loyal Player

They will now that they have more room to do as they please
  13. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

It would be immediately, within a week’s time. They got complacent because the players accept mediocrity and throw money at it.
  14. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

And lets not forget that they just indefinitely removed a big chunk of the value of the sub - one advantage of it was that I could transfer money between my characters, as required. I can not currently do that. So that's a feature of the sub that has been removed, with no indication when it will be returned.
    • Like x 2
  15. Brit Loyal Player

Precisely. The sub saw a $3 per month price INCREASE within the previous six months, but the only change for the value to the customer was to take away another feature. Pay more, get less.
    • Like x 2