Name doesn't exist, but name is taken?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Curse Bringer, May 12, 2021.

1. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

Sometimes I'll randomly friend a character name to see if its available. in game it will say "doesn't exist" however if I run to character creator, it says name taken. this is the case for names I've had in the past for characters. What is causing this?
  2. Proxystar #Perception

They filter some words or even words that might combine to become filtered words, I believe they also block some but not always all DC iconic names.

What name were you trying for as an example?
  3. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

"FireHeart"
    "Fire Heart"
    "Battle Star"
    "Oakly"

two of these names i previously had, tried to rename a hero after deleting the villain. couldn't do it
  4. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

It depends on when you created the character and what the filter was at that time. Sometime ago the filter didn't include iconic DC characters, some iconic M**** characters and some bad words (There were some adol_... guys here and there).
    If you had a character created before the filters (And if they are updated from time to time it could be anytime), that character could be called like CWSupergirl, once it's deleted, you can never have the name again.

This is one of the reasons you shouldn't buy (not saying it's your case) names from other people, because they may think you scammed them if the name is no longer available after they deleted it.
  5. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

I've tried the same thing several times. I never get the prompt "name taken," only "name invalid."
  6. stärnbock Devoted Player

for some reason, goat is getting filtered for profanity. how ist THAT a profanity?!!
  7. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I actually think they name system might be shared throughout servers because i tried to rename my character on playstation to my name on xbox but it says the names taken . Look it up on census and of course im the only one w the name, with no way of logging onto xbox and deleting the character because i sold the system..
  8. Imaginos Dedicated Player

I just tossed FireHeart into the dcuo census site and came up with 5 pages of names having fireheart in them, inculding 2 Firehearts. I usually use this site to check names instead of the character creator.
    http://census.dcuobloguide.com/character/finder
    • Like x 1
  9. Robert-Vim Well-Known Player

That's a seriously handy site !! I hadn't seen that one yet. Thanks!
    • Like x 1