Musical Instruments

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Lights Derp, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Lights Derp Loyal Player

So I'm looking into learning a new instrument and figured I'd ask the Funhouse what they think. I can already play Guitar, Bass (standard, washtub, and standup), Drums, Trumpet, Trombone, and Flute. I was thinking of either teaching myself Violin, Banjo, or Accordian. The music place by my house has realtively cheap instruments of each of these.

So what does the Funhouse think? Maybe something else and I'm not looking at is cool as well so name away!

[IMG]
  2. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Try the oboe.
  3. The Sanctifier New Player

I'd recommend Saxophone; that would fit in well with your experience.

-Former Drum Major
    -Drumline Expert
    -Baritone Horn
    -Trumpet
  4. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Harp.
    • Like x 1
  5. Lights Derp Loyal Player

I tried both Oboe and Sax in high school but could never get the hang of playing a reeded instrument. I'll give them a go again eventually.

I actually have a Harp but it's on the East coast at my Parents house :\
  6. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Oboe is about Embouchure, stamina, and air. Then tone/technique come after that. Those three are core for tge development of a good oboist
    believe it or not it takes more air than the flute and Saxophone. The pitch is highly unstable especially in the altissimo..
    also you may wanna look into reed strength. Maybe the reed gave too much resistance? Its a double reed, and apparently as hard as the french horn and violin to completely master
  7. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Violin!

• Like x 1
  8. Little Sister New Player

Piano of course :)
    • Like x 1
  9. Lights Derp Loyal Player

Lindsay Stirling is an amazing Violinist.

I have a Piano in my house. Maybe I could mess around with it a bit.
    • Like x 1
  10. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Agreed! I can't play a single instrument to save my life, but I've always wanted to learn violin or piano.... They're both such dynamic, powerful instruments, but also serene when they need to be.... I would give anything to be musically talented :p
  11. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Hmmm.......

Hmm....

[IMG]

Guess I second that :D :D :D
    • Like x 2
  12. Lights Derp Loyal Player

I've always wanted to play this it's hauntingly beautiful. One of my favorite pieces

• Like x 2
  13. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Beautiful! :)
    • Like x 2
  14. AkikoTsunami Committed Player

Banjo. It's one of the oldest know instruments, with it's roots going back to tribal Africa where they were constructed from sticks and a dried gourd.
    Bella Fleck is one of personal heroes, his documentary " Throw Down Your Heart" had me weeping like a baby.

Also I just love that bluegrass music and the newer blackgrass/country death genre.
    • Like x 3
  15. Lights Derp Loyal Player

I almost always have Hard Country, or Folk Punk playing. I love the heart that's felt in Blue Grass and Folk music.
  16. owlman New Player

The tambourine.
  17. AkikoTsunami Committed Player

I know world music is not for everyone, but the pure joy in this is truly infectious and this woman is a true inspiration
    • Like x 4
  18. Lights Derp Loyal Player

Thank you for posting that
    • Like x 2
  19. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Tuba, or failing that, learning how to fire a cannon so you can get work everytime someone wants to play the 1812 overture.
    • Like x 2
  20. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3