Movement Mode Speeds

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by gazillion ear, Mar 1, 2023.

1. gazillion ear New Player

Returning player here -- skimming, flight and acrobatics should be faster.

For every type of content, super speed players are able to effectively transition between combat speed and their faster speed much better than any other movement mode. Other movement modes should also be able to move quickly in combat, or at least make the transition between in combat speed and out of combat speed happen faster.
    • Like x 1
  2. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

I think it's only fair that movement called "Super Speed" is faster than other movements. Acrobatics is actually faster for travel, while flight and skimming are the easiest to use and can hover above many hazards and attacks.
  3. xXlNesTlXx Well-Known Player

I think he is talking about the speed of transitions between combat and normal mode, not about the speed of the movement himself

If I am right, I am agree with him, acrobatics and flight takes a lot of time to hit the normal movement speed after combat,

in raids, you can see how all speedsters passes you when you kill a group of minions and everyone moves to the next one
    • Like x 2
  4. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yes, but that's not because of the transition from combat to out-of-combat movement, but because SS has an in-combat speed-boost (L3 hold on controller, which - incidentally - tends to destroy the left stick within a month or two). Considering that SS in the game is slower than Acro zip-line, it's a pain to control, because it sticks to ceilings and walls, and can't fly like all other movements, it's only fair that it can move a bit faster in combat.

The real problem with SS are its combat abilities, which make it OP and which are the reason why every competitive DPS uses it.
  5. Limey Committed Player

Movement modes are balanced. Flight is the most convenient, it's the fastest out of combat and easiest to get around, which is balanced by being the slowest in-combat. Acrobatics is the middle ground having medium in-combat movement speed, a slowly flight option out of combat minus the ability to hover, and superspeed is the fastest in-combat because it's the worst movement mode to get around with outside of combat due to having to run at ground level, or jump up buildings, getting caught on ledges or literally any tiny little environmental thing, and overall just makes traversing more tedious all around.

If you want quicker transition from in-combat to out of combat, invest in The Flash ally.
    • Like x 2
  6. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Acro's rocket assisted glide is actually a lot faster than flight over longer distances, if you constantly alternate between flying up and down. And its zip-line is way faster than any other form of movement over short distances, though it needs something in front to grab onto. And in some situations you can even use it combat, however it's not reliable, except for zipping up walls, which saved my hide many times back in the day, when open world PvP was a thing.
  7. Limey Committed Player

While the first part is not true but merely a product of perception, having been tested in direct/side by side races various times over the years - the rest is an example of acrobatics' highly situational/circumstantial value, thus making it the mid-ground movement mode, as it isn't faster than superspeed getting to downed allies unless they're against a wall, and still slower than flight if you're trying to get from Chinatown to Metro City Hall.

Of course if you want to get even more technical, long distance flight is negligible since raids don't typically have that far to go, and open world travel becomes trivial once you get a base teleporter and the Gotham + Metro mod that effectively let's you warp to base then teleport to most landmarks, putting you in close proximity to just about everything in less than 30 seconds.
  8. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

How is it a product of perception? I timed my acro and my flying toons going in straight line from Superman statue in Metro to the Water treatment facility and the first one got there faster, no allies, or anything. I might be wrong, because I don't normally use flight.

Can you point me to one video that shows that? Because all I'm finding are ones where Acro beats flight hands down.
  9. Ryazan Dedicated Player

SuperSpeed on a straight line, with no height chance, and while doing jumps with Inertial Flywheel used after the jump's apex (hold X), is the fastest. :)
  10. Derio 15000 Post Club

Plus if you want to have the best of both worlds you can have flight and just make the super speed cola.
    • Like x 1
  11. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

My Skimmer has a speed ring from the Anniversary event. It's been getting quite a bit of use. :)
  12. Neotherev New Player

I think with flight it should be the longer you hold the flight button like in old xbox 360 superman returns the faster you go if I remember correctly it was like three sonic booms should be possible to implement it acrobats and superspeed. And it can be put in as part of level 30 completion bonus....make traversal increasingly fun.....zoom is cool but still seems slow to me. Idk
    • Like x 1