More Mental Problems?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Sy-Lent-Kill-R, Sep 4, 2017.

1. stärnbock Devoted Player

no offence, but to come out on top of an alert once or twice, doesnt mean much, especially if Q random. if i do so, i allways think that i played with someone that was on the telefone, at the door for pizza, or fell asleep for some time during a fight...
    • Like x 1
  2. Vagrant Committed Player

Sorc does need some love for sure.
  3. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

Completely disagree...one of stephen kings earliest novels was 'firestarter"...or something...the whole idea...someone (a little girl, i think) had the power to start whole infernos by just thinking flames...not very good story not even original much but its that idea...mentally controlling heat...isnt that also what the Xvillain pyro does kind of..cant make flame but can control any open flames nearby...so Im cool with that I guess...mental cold/heat
  4. stärnbock Devoted Player

well, i think that both pyro and cryokinesis are fitting mental, because you speed up and slow down the movement of the particles of your targets with your mind... therefore, i think it goes well with moving objects telekinetic, only that with those attacks, you manipulate the targets not completely, but on a microscopic level that leads to them get burnt or frozen... hope you all understand what i mean...
    • Like x 1
  5. Vengeance Gray Level 30

Mental DPS is indeed broken but I have a loadout that's held it's own with other damage powers. You have to be in Midrange/Melee Range for this loadout:

Prison/Mass Lev/Bolt/Push/Terrorize/Invisible.

The rotation goes Prison,Mass Lev, Bolt, Push x3, then repeat for multiple adds. If the adds are close to 35% Health, do 1 Push and then use Terrorize which will hit harder. It targets 1 add at time but will go to the next add if it KOs before the animation is done.

During boss fights or 1 strong add use Prison, Mass, Lev, Bolt, Push, Invisible (sleep and pain), Prison, Mass Lev, Bolt, Push x3. Repeat rotation until down to 35% health and then mix in Terrorize.

If you don't like waiting for Terrorize you can swap it out for Sonic Shout and follow the same rotation hitting Shout when it's off cool down.

You can also use your SC from Invisible, Bolt Barrage does great damage but you'll probably only get it off twice per raid. Hysteria will boost your crits, good to use when boss is down to 35% and boost your Terrorize damage even more.

When doing Invisible you should position yourself either to the side or behind your target so you don't take damage and get knocked out of invisible. Good tanks will turn them around for you, but if they don't make the adjustment.

If you don't want to be in the Midrange/Melee area you can change the Loadout to Mass Lev, Cryo, Pyro, Mass Terror, Shock x3, Invisible. You can damage from Range and then move in for Invisible powers and back out to range after.

Both loadouts will give you respectable damage with Mental if you are geared up and fully modded. Both loadouts can be power hungry as the first one is high cost and the second one is very fast. One solution is don't clip the animations. You get passive regen while your animations are going so let all your animations complete themselves to get power back in between.
  6. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i totally get it. just sometimes feels within the context of the game mental seems more like a mix of every other power with elements fire,ice,sorcery and nature. mentalpowers hve always been somewhat ambiguous in dc comics. Even the martian manhunterspowers have changedove the years.when he first resurfaced as a member of the detroit league they were in the background. somewhere along the way he grew into the worlds most powerful telepath. theres a chpter in the Wildcards first book that explains how allpowers are mental and based on different applictions of telekinesis.
  7. recoil Committed Player

well it does make sense. the detailed description of the power say "use extrasensory abilities to make the opponent THINK they are being: electrocuted, burnt, frozen etc. just look at the batman beyond episode "mind games". you're not actually burning/freezing them you're telepathically inserting the FEELING of burning/freezing. mental is really pretty accurate when compared to telepaths both in marvel and dc comics.
  8. stärnbock Devoted Player

before revamp, there was the telekinetic tree: pyro did a DOT for burning and cryo used to encase enemy targets when they got hitten twice (or suffered from frostbite). electricity indeed was only an ilusion and belonged to the ilusion tree, back then. but all of them were seting up the fitting PI's, so your dps's didn't need to... not sure now, i never was ok with the way pyro and cryo were changed into transforming PI's, instead. well, it would have been way easier to reduce mental to one PI, while pyro, cryo and shock would exploit it and setup theirs... because as it is, it is a mess IMHO also: i always though that mass terror should setup terror while thought bubble exploits (they need time to hit, thats why you can not directly hit with mass terror after though bubbles and it would have been fitting with the dammage it did at first on test server...)
    • Like x 1
  9. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Mental is the Poster Boy of everything that's wrong with the Revamp.
    • Like x 1
  10. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

the double cast is its own special brand of !@#$. nobody else finds this a problem? i've noticed nature and ice have a few moves that do this as well. its especially obnoxious when using psychic shock.

going completely invisible if you're standing in someone elses power field is another issue. invisibility itself is in a sad state.

the "spaghetti head" effect is another serious issue for me. has nothing to do with damage. purely cosmetic. this is where i start to feel like the powers that be are clueless because for as long as we've had that effect around our heads players have been complaining about it so you know, lets just change it to where force it on everyones head we so we ruin everyones cut scenes at all times. because that always fun.

i think consolidating pi's to one is a step in the right direction.
    • Like x 1
  11. Vagrant Committed Player

[IMG]
  12. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

I'll take this on face value and say OK; that's a scoreboard with you as Top DPS. The 2nd DPS is Earth and not Electric. I don't wish to argue the variables. I'll leave it at that.
  13. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I've always hated spaghetti head. The first Mental Revamp took a nice subtle powerset and made it garish.
    • Like x 1
  14. Vagrant Committed Player

It was a PanE run. I streamed it on twitch as well so there is enough proof out there to give Mental a standing chance.
  15. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

heat and cold in the end is no more than how fast and fluidly electrons move
    • Like x 1
  16. Vagrant Committed Player

It would also mean more if they were good abilities.
  17. stärnbock Devoted Player

if only they would have made pyro setup terror and cryo setup daze,
    then you wouldn't rely on another PI to setup first... i mean:
    those two powers are neither good for seting up, nor do they exploit...
    also: pyro bursting encasements is allmost never happening,
    yet the dammage seems calculated on that premisse... oh well:
    the sparing targets let themselves get encased long enough for it...
    only that devs sayd no tunso testing this time and still it was done.
    also: terror tendrils were only close to walls hitting twice.
    guess how the sparing targets are positioned in the league halls...
  18. stärnbock Devoted Player

actually: the problem mental has is not at all the dammage it can cause.
    low dammage is only a side effect of all other problems mental has.
    of course, it is possible to use mental and do well on the score board.
    as you have shown: your loadoout works. as you have said: others don't.
    to say that everyone else fail because they dont use mental correctly,
    is showing that there is something wrong with it, don't you think?
    as i said before, mental doesn't need a buff, it needs a fix instead.

there are many reasons for it listed on the first pages in this thread.
    not only that, i think many cooldowns are not fitting together well.
    its just my oppinion, but it is hard to play like i play most other powers.
    for example: psichic prison doesn't fit with the weapon buffs cooldown.
    phantom flames are ticking and calculated for six seconds, not three.
    thought bubble doesn't fit with pyrokinesis cooldown to setup terror.
    IMHO: i think the cooldowns make most loadouts inconvenient...
    • Like x 1
  19. Vagrant Committed Player

So I never meant by my posts that Mental does NOT have problems, what i want people to understand is that Mental is not GARBAGE. Used right it CAN get the numbers of other powers. Personally to get Mental back on track it needs some fixes yes.

Most can agree that Cryo and Pyro are useless abilities. Daze load outs are pretty bad damage wise just because of long animations and low damage. Certain abilities cost way too much power wise.

The list can go on but we also have to remember as a collective group that....other powers are kind of in the same boat. Lets take a look at Rage. What powers within Rage are going to be used to get the most damage? I rarely ever see Rage play range which is honestly why I HAVE NEVER SEEN A RAGE DPS IN MY PAN ELITE RUNS. Although I'm sure there are players out there. Electricity is another power, are all of their powers useful? Probably not, players found the optimal way to play each power. Not all powers are going to be 100% useful in all load outs.
    • Like x 1
  20. stärnbock Devoted Player

agreed.
    also i wanted to say, despite electro is doing well, mostly, it is restricted in the same way as mental, quantum, to some degree even gadgets: the fact they are dealing with a split for multiple PI's lowers theyr possibilities. you either loose time to setup both or have to go for one and ignore half of the rest of a powers powers like this... even though electricity is strong: all powers would benefit to have one PI only. granted: gadget at least has bursts to exploit not only one PI, wich helps a lot...