Miss Manners' Crossplay Etiquette

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ragnarok, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnarok Well-Known Player

The end is nigh, has come, gone and we're all still alive. Crossplay went off brilliantly. My hat off to Meeps and the development team, I really didn't think they'd manage to get everything out today (and I apologize for some brusqueness on my part in the days leading up to Crossplay).

Now that we're all a community, here's what I've learned in my 12h of being united with my PS brothers and sisters.

- The lingo is a little different, with SP and CR being broadcast. It's no more or less elite than the requirements from before, it's just a bit more thorough. All the SP and CR in the world and you could still be a terrible player and/ or person. Stats, skill level and character are all mutually exclusive traits.

- If you come from PC, it's time to hook up your mic and stop being shy. 90% of the people that I grouped with today were from PS platforms, and that's how they chat. How I chat now, after a few annoying runs where I was hammering out warnings and strategies while tanking. Not fun, and a mic is so much easier for everyone.

- Turn off trade chat. It's like Vanilla WoW Barrens chat, only somehow worse. If you have to buy or sell something, you can still type in the trade channel and request tells, though I sincerely advocate just removing that channel from your chat ui. Again, the message still goes through, yet you get none of the spam.

- There was no difference between the skill level of PC and PS players that I could see in PVE, so stop all that garbage about "PC parties only" or "PS players only" that's already begun on the new mixed-server. Again, I cleared the latest content with people from a mix of platforms and with 100% less hassle via LFG or even queing than I've ever known on PC.

We're all sharing the same space now, so play nice. Or you'll find that even in a playground this big, no one wants play with you. It was great meeting so many of you today! I hope too see many of you again soon.
    • Like x 22
  2. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I like you.
    • Like x 7
  3. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

hell tbh I'd want 3 PC ppl in my group over PS3/4 ppl b/c I've ran with majority if not all PS ppl on villain side as it is and Im not impressed 1 bit. Only a select hand few of them have been added as a friend. So I look forward to my newly added population ;)
    • Like x 2
  4. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

I suspect most of the pc crowd that uses voice do not use the in game server but Teamspeak or Mumble or some other 3rd party app that works across multiple games. Our league, the Seraphim actually and strongly recommends for in game VOIP to be turned off as we run a zero profanity or trolling league. This s is not compatible with the vast majority of open VoIP chat.

Since we started as a PC guild in other games that is the biggest reason for this stance. Now if individuals are playing on their own and don't care about salty language and attitud that's their lookout as long as they keep up the code of honor we commit to.I would hope to see more PS players interested as we have garnered interest since cross play started, but to each their own.
  5. Talve Dedicated Player

Mics are hooked and people are not that shy.
    Quality of in game voice chat is not that great. Most PC players rather sit on TS3 / Mumble with their league mates than use in game voice chat. Personally i only enable in game voice chat in extreme situations.
    • Like x 5
  6. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

Right, Talve. The few time I have tried to in game proximity VoIP I got to listen to a soccer match being broadcast in some eastern European language... I think a domestic dispute in Turkish and chips crunching in another. If this is typical... I definitely will stick to strictly ts when on my own and if not... Well... I worry if it will be as bad as I see in videos and other games I play.
    • Like x 2
  7. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Also, a huge number of PS users leave their mike open, which I'm used to being a kickable offense, due to the incredible annoyance of having to listen to people's screaming children, tv, music, family arguments, chewing, clicking their controller, dog barking, etc., and usually four people doing a mix of these at the same time.

AND having them talking over league Teamspeak.

The quality of in-game chat just sucks in comparison to dedicated software; it's immensely loud and the quality makes people difficult to understand even without all the other noise going on.

Obviously we'll have to get used to it, but it's a very different culture from what PC has always been.
    • Like x 1
  8. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

Yep... That is considered very rude in the Teamspeak channels I have been part of. Those players get told to go to Push to Talk or get muted by their own league and often repeat offenders get moved from channel or kick/banned from the guild. Home life needs to stay in your own home.at least that has been the common etiquette I am accustomed to.
    • Like x 1
  9. Minnion Devoted Player

To put it this way, as long as the PS guys don't mind paying attention to their chat windows we should be good on communication. (As in I can still hear you guys even if my reply comes through as a word balloon at the bottom of the screen.)

That said when it comes to most devising strategy? As a PC player I prefer to hammer out who's doing what before we start the big fight, and have no problem with the guy with the working mic being the "Commander" and shouting out important info like when we should all block.(Because lets face it, with all the VFX that pops up on the screen when everyone is spamming their powers, having a big white opaque shield blocking a good 50% of our view of whats going on sometimes, and having other players or adds standing between us and the boss, sometimes it gets a bit difficult for us to see the bosses Tell... Not to mention if we end up with our camera pointed in the wrong direction for a moment(Perhaps because we're worried about getting ganked from behind by adds.) it can be easy to just not see the one shot tell until we've taken a knee...

Lastly PS guys, Push to talk is your friend. We don't need to hear you talking about personal stuff on the phone with your girlfriend or mom or whoever... And yes I know you play on your TV most of the time.. which brings up the question: Is there any chance of plugging in a set of headphones so we don't hear the game echoing over your mic when you talk? It's fine if that's not possible with a TV, but it would be cool if it was...
    • Like x 3
  10. Red Skorpion Dedicated Player

Honestly, PC players are different but do not let a few PS player paint this picture of how they all are... yes the talent its spread but I've played with very few PC players and i will say they've been more polite then usual PS players so imagine me pleasantly surprised i enjoyed running w/ them yet... the forums are crowded with a negative stigma that PS players are inferior, loud, nearly intolerable ... i would say the voice chat in DC needs an overhaul yet you do have the ability to turn players down ... and to put it bluntly there are more of us then there are of you so either learn to deal with different behaviors or do not but one way is progressive and the other way is a dou-che ... do u want to be "that guy" u know the dou-che...
  11. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

Red, you are right. We all have a lot of adjusting to do and learning where our tolerances as well as preferred associations lie. Everyone will have those people they prefer to be around. That's cool if we can respect that too.
  12. Tikkun Loyal Player

Nope, not leaving my league's Teamspeak. Not only because it's way better quality and functionality, but I get really tired of explaining what a girl is.
    • Like x 12
  13. LT Schmitt Committed Player

Just as an FYI to all of the PC players out there for a some time now MOST PS groups require you go to instance chat and use your mic for raids. I for one would go as far as to say not being in chat is grounds for being kicked. I understand most of the PC world is fine with using a keyboard but why stop what your doing to type something when you can just say it into a mic?
  14. Belthazur Dedicated Player

I have run a few things with PS PLAyers and they ask go to INstnace...I have no problem. I can hear everything. But for some reason DC CHat does NOT like me...I can hear but not talk
  15. Dibrie Committed Player

me to
    • Like x 1
  16. Supergirly Dedicated Player

or... they can read. Sorry, I am not going to hook up a mic just to listen to the garbage that I see around here. I run in league with no mic and I run in PuGs with people that cannot even read English, so chat does not matter either. So really, kick me, if that is what you want to do. But I am not planning on changing my style just for a console player. They can read.

and LFG has been off for nearly 4 years now, on PC. So that is not going to hurt my feelings at all.

Also, if they can ask you to go instance, than they CAN type.
    • Like x 5
  17. TroEL Dedicated Player

This is the most elitist thing i've ever read.
    • Like x 1
  18. Supergirly Dedicated Player

Not really, but why should I change my way of playing that I have done for 5 years? Just cause someone else wants me to hear him eat chips? Even TS is not all that great, most of the time. It is not elitist to say that I am happy where I am at, now is it? Nearly all Alerts/Duos only need a person that knows how to play, to beat it. Heck, most people barely say hi and bye in them, as is.

Besides, I am a RPer and I do the content when I have downtime from a RP scene. I am not a hardcore player that cares about CR/SP and power sets. I play for fun, and being told to turn on a mic that I do not even have hooked up, is annoying.
  19. Brother Reimar Well-Known Player

In American culture, everyone has a right to say virtually anything they so desire so long as it is not a lie, nor a threat to public safety or on a private forum who does retain the right to what they will permit to be said. On the other hand what you do NOT have a right to is a soap box OR an audience. This is the way it works. You also must suffer or enjoy the consequences of what you have said. In other countries YMMV.
  20. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

It is not necessarily you speaking that they are wanting. They want the whole group to be on the same page due to feat hunting and strategies. A lot of PS players do not use a keyboard. We have a terrible virtual one that is not even half as quick to use, so they do not have the time to type out the directions they want to give the group.

This game play and powers have evolved throughout the 5 years it has been out. Every aspect has evolved and now this is coming to an evolution. I mean, you do not have the exactly the same loadout since the start of the game. You adjust it with updates. This is just another update.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.