Mentors

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Statman, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Statman New Player

As DCUO seems to be in the 'tell us what you want' phase lately (with base items, weapon styles, etc.) they've asked on Facebook and Twitter what new Mentors people would like to see in DCUO.

Now, as most of us know, the mentor system is virtually useless in it's current form, so what would the benefit of new mentors bring? Does that even fit into the current idea behind mentors?

Can we speculate there may be an overhaul of our current mentor system, into something where future mentors actually make sense?

Anyone have thoughts? Is this even interesting to some people? lol.
  2. Caseyyeah Committed Player

Not sure, does anyone remember them asking something similar in the past and then only to drop it and never mention it again? Seems like they have though I cannot recall a specific time. Regardless, I feel an overhaul of the mentor system is long overdue. At this point mentors are all but useless except for which 2-3 missions you get leveling up. And even the missions from other mentors can be completed with help from a friend.
  3. Statman New Player

I don't recall them asking before, but it's definitely needed. The whole thing is just pointless right now.
  4. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

Some of the Questions being asked by SOE are making me feel like I'm on the couch of a psychiatrist. Leading me to a possible realization of difficulties in creativity.
    Then again, considering the timing... at original launch there were limitations by design and since then many of thos limitations have been removed. Also, additional powers and changes to powers/abilities. Worth mentioning, the UI had been a hot topic forever, they did say and they did one UI change, but I recall mention of an intention for more UI change to come. Potentially that could be a big change.
    Why not consider altering the Mentor dynamic. Would that come with new starting locations? The layout of Gotham and Metropolis, as it is now, would lean towards no alteration to starting locations. Imagining an expansion amount of content+UI changes.... could be become a Very different game? /shrug.

Remember, it's pre release (2008) was a Very different game:
    Look at those huge Brianiac Overseer things in Metropolis! and the different communicator! and UI! What?! Superman in the city helping!? Is that a public event in the city or an instance?
    another video (with Jens) same demo: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/25/comic-con-live-demo-dc-universe-online/
    these were the videos (from 2008-2009) that got me interested in playing DCUO.....:oops:
    • Like x 1
  5. Sgt Forge New Player

As for mentors, I think that they should make a new Rogue faction, and include it in a DLC that is more expansion than DLC. It could also come along with a level cap increase and a change to powers to allow customization of the powers effects ( ie spend more than one PP on a skill increase its efffects in certain areas).....not likely, but one can dream :)
  6. LaughingRiot Well-Known Player

I don't really think they'll add new mentors, I think they just want to get a vibe for what the community wants/cares about. This way they could make new alerts/raids/anomalies/etc. based off what the community wants.
    • Like x 1
  7. Jafin 10000 Post Club

All these questions have got me thinking they're planning a huge year next year. We know from a recent interview with Larry Liberty that they plan all their content a year in advance so maybe that's why they're asking us what stuff we want...
    • Like x 1
  8. PureDarkness Dedicated Player

With the release of HT, they said the DLC "mentors" were Steel and T.O. Morrow.
    Perhaps they're looking for another DLC idea with a conflict between two Iconic chars.
    Maybe they even want it for a storyline for the Halls of Power DLC.
  9. Oddpodd Dedicated Player

Mentors actually dont need to be added on to the game since the three main characters of the DC Universe and their Villain counter parts are already present. This is already a complete set for me.

If we were to add a Mentor though, I would want A Green/Yellow Lantern one just because that is the second most developed storyline in the comic books. Its just my opinion though.
  10. Statman New Player

This is why I mentioned perhaps they plan on giving the Mentor system an overhaul, coz adding more doesn't fit the current design. I honestly hope they are planning an overhaul, and perhaps include more of the core members of the JL, or even have power mentors as someone else mentioned.
    • Like x 1
  11. Oddpodd Dedicated Player

Power Mentors seem to be a decent Idea but...how about us veterans who have already CR96and up toons who wont be enjoying having a Power Mentor to guide us during missions :oops:
  12. PureDarkness Dedicated Player

Nice power mentor ideas. Maybe they r going to intoduce them for learn ur role tutorials?
  13. Minnion Devoted Player

Maybe they are going to do Role specific mentors rather than power specific...

Wonder Woman teaches DPS
    Superman teaches Tank
    Batman teaches Troll
    New mentor to teach Healer

Joker teaches DPS
    Lex teaches Tank
    Circe teaches Troll
    New mentor to teach Healer

Thoughts?(I mean if they are thinking of adding a new mentor to each side this would make sense, and still allows players to keep their progress from the old mentor missions.)
  14. Caseyyeah Committed Player

That would be very nice.
  15. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Well, let's analyze what the choice of a Mentor did for us at launch:
    -Unique Styles for T1 & T2 gear
    -Unique Story Content

Two and a half years later, we do still have a bit of content that is specific to a specific mentor, but many of the missions and all of the gear is now obtainable by anyone. Adding new Mentors could go back to the original vision for them (making all mentor-related content unique at least for a year or so) ... and make people who want new mentors happy.

If we are going to get new Mentors, I'd like it to feel like we are starting our Sophomore year. Either:

-Continuing the college metaphor, the first option would be for us to change our major. For instance, if your original Mentor is Superman (Meta), you select either Tech or Magic for your secondary mentor. These mentors could be Green Lantern/Sinestro (tech), Flash/Reverse Flash (meta) or Captain Marvel/Black Adam (magic). These mentors would lead you from say, Level 30 to Level 40 - telling you that you need to broaden your horizons for the coming threat. They could even repeat it with yet more mentors from 40 - 50.

-Upgrading our experience. If we're going to head into the larger DCU, we should be mentored by someone on a higher tier. Orion of the New Gods for heroes, Steppenwolf for the villains, for instance.

I'm always happy for new content. If New Mentors = New Content, I'm all for it. :)
    • Like x 2
  16. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I've only been around for 6-7 months, but my take on it that once you hit level 30 you're added to the JL/OE .
    You don't need a mentor anymore you're taking missions as an equal. New mentors would be well and fine, but to do it right you need to start a new toon. To start with a current toon, would feel disingenuous about the progress you have made.

I like the story line concept that the mentor missions created though and it would be nice to have that feeling back. I just think the mentor concept is the wrong story line.

If it was an expanded Justice League/ Hall of Doom mission set though that would be cool.
    Where you follow full story arcs to help other faction members. For example all Heros follow a Hal Jordan, Hawkman, Huntress, Powergirl story lines with sub-arc contacts, collections etc. and they also follow 2 shared villian story arcs That's a Total of 6 new story lines. Villians do 4 villains and 2 heroes... 10 new stories total.

There needs to be a new global threat facilitate this too.... Darkseid comes to mind.
  17. Statman New Player

Batman will always be Nightwings mentor, just sayin. :p Global crisis or not, Batman orders him around, haha.
  18. AV Loyal Player

Wish they'd do more with the original 7 JLA members overall. Yeah, I get it, the Trinity, woo... but it does really bug me that Aquaman, Flash, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern, and any of the major characters, never ever ever factor into the primary storylines and they hardly ever work together in the smaller instances. I'm sure they're building up to content where you fight alongside the entire JLA, at least I hope they are, but right now the story's a little stale. It's as though we only see the characters in their own little stories and never the ensemble in a meaningful way.

They also need to add Black Manta.

Edit: Seriously though, where the hell is Black Manta at? Need a damn black villain.
  19. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Hey, I'd gladly do 50 story arcs as Batman's minion, but don't expect me to start taking orders from Green Arrow now.
    They picked the right 3 heros and the right 3 villains to start. The story needs to evolve now.
  20. BumblingB I got better.

Most believable thing. It will probably be like Flash in Central City. You go there and talk to him to get your quests. I doubt they would change the structure of the whole game this late in the production to add another mentor. Especially if there isn't a good counterpart to go with them.

In DC Lore, the holy trinity is Batman Superman and Wonder Woman, but there wasn't a WW counterpart on the villain side. So we got Circe...