Meet Jacqueline O'Connor Wolfe aka Radiant Jay

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Superskull85, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Superskull85 Devoted Player

[IMG]

Birth Name: Jacqueline Mary O'Connor legally changed to Jacqueline O'Connor Wolfe
    Height: 170cm
    Born: August 23rd, 1994 in Belleville, ON, Canada

Superhero Name: Radiant Jay
    Guardian City: Radiant Falls
    Mentor: Batman (martial arts and Gadgetry), Zatanna (performance and combat magic)
    Training Grounds: Gotham City
    Heroic Roles: Healer, master of sound, master of forms, user of birds and friends of big cats
    Design Inspiration: Blue Jay, wealthy culture and Zatanna

Short Origin Story

(Story is rough and likely has some holes. It hasn't been proof read so it also may have spelling or grammar mistakes. Some of the story is based on real locations but altered to fit the convenience of story and DC Comics lore.)

Jacqueline was born a simple girl growing up in the small city of Belleville. Her passion for birds and singing helped her through her early childhood. She was always facinated by the wealthy people of the world mainly because of the glimmers that their jewelry gave off. It reminded her of many of her bird friends.
    Though not particularly wealthy herself she did receive some jewels as gifts which she fashioned into homemade jewelry. Jacqueline wouldn't wear this jewelry normally but rather would use it during her performances.

As an early teenager Jacqueline started to take an interest in singing and perforamce. She started to excel at music during school and admired the performances put on by Zatanna. Jacquiline was so amazed at Zatanna's talents that she decided to incorporate these techniques in a blend of magic and music she eventually called Spectacle de la Mélodie Enchantée (Show of the Echanted Melody). As a superhero she would later incorporate her trusted bird firds in a special segment called Oiseaux Enchantés de la Chanson (Enchanted Birds of Song) using real magic taught by Zatanna herself.

When Jacqueline was 16 she took up another interest while volunteering at a nearby zoo. One of the big cats at this zoo was a Lioness the zoo called Zuri. Zuri was a caregiver . She showed concern for many animals. Jacqueline never asked why but the Zoo would routinely pair Zuri with orphaned or abandoned animals which Zuri cared for as if they were own cubs. Jacqueline was fascinated by this. She immediately began reading about Lions and other big cats to hopefully figure out why this might have happened. Jacqueline would later us this dynamic to help get in tune with nature and the birds.

On Jaunuary 9, 2011 Jacqueline began exibiting extroadinary abilities. She had the ability to shapeshift into many animals including birds, lions and big cats. She also had the ability to control and manipulate sound. The very next day her hometown was ravaged and bottled by Brainiac. Tried as they may many citizens couldn't get away from the chaos that ensued. Still very confused and unable to control her powers Jacqueline tried to save as many citizens as she could including her family. However Brainiac was too quick and before she could successfully save her famiily the city of Belleville was bottled up and Jacqueline was separated from hometown and her family.

At this point Jacqueline was 17 and hadn't ventured outside of her hometown much. Any landmarks she knew were based on history and the media.Any news she come by stated that many parts of major govement were also in chaos. The world was looking to the Justice League for help but help never came to many areas. Many people like her tried to use their powers to save anyone they could while others participated in the chaos. Jacqueline didn't know what to do or who to turn to.

Eventually she made her way to a nearby town seemingly untouched by Brainiac. Much of the news was unchanged but one broadcast caught her attention. It was Zatanna and she was fighting using her magic in Gotham City! Jacqueline was blown away. She always knew Zatanna put on magic shows but always thought they were simply tricks.She never imagined it might be actual magic! She instantly knew what to do. She start moving towards Gotham City and to meetup with Zatanna. Transforming into a Cheetah Jacqueline was off.
    Along the way Brainiac didn't seem pleased. Very aggressive robots starting attacking her and demanding "Return your Exobytes to Brainiac!" "What's an Exobyte?" she asked herself. She didn't know but she did know she had to make to Zatanna and Gotham City. She let out loud screeches yesterday so hopefully she can do so today. She sprinted heavily to lengthen the gap between her and the robots. When there was a good distance between her and the robots she suddenly stop and turned at the same inhaling as deeply as she could and let out the loudest screen in her life! This create a large soundwave that carved out the ground and obliterated the Brainiac robots.

Jacqueline was astonished what she had just done. "I did all that?" she asked herself again. It wasn't enough, however, as more Brainiac robots began pursuing her again. She tried to launch more soundwaves at the robots but somehow they became resistant. Instead she tried channeling her sound into her speed but it was again not enough and Jacqueline was eventually was captured and stoed away into a Digitization Cell.

The next day on January 11, 2011 Jacqueline would wake up to a woman who called herself Oracle telling Jacqueline that she was on a ship and that she needed to escape. Jacqueline didn't know whether to trust the voice or not but if it meant getting off this creepy ship she was more than ready to follow. Fighting through the ship Jacqueline learned to channel her powers better and mold them in ways that would prevent the Briniac robots from resisting. Eventually she got to a room where Oracle said she was sending in Batman to assist her. This was good! Jacqueline didn't really know a lot about Batman but she did know he lived in Gotham and that maybe he could her get to Zatanna. She fought alongside Batman until Oracle told her to leave through the teleporters where she arrived in the East End Police Station of Gotham City.

Jacqueline was greeted by Batman moments later and this is where her superhero story would begin!

Conceptual Notes and Continuation

Originally I wanted a Batman inspired character. Between the new Bombshell Harley outfit, Batman VS Superman emblems and various Batman styles I felt inspired. I never liked to have clones so I also wanted something different. So I ventured out to create a pupil of Batman much like Robin.

Instead of a Robin I based the character around a Blue Jay. I wanted the name Blue Jay but... it was taken. So I thought I'd use Silver Jay since I could relate it to Canada's winter. That was taken (though "Silverjay" was not but at that point I would have been a ripoff of the original I felt). Then I tried Argent Jay which for whatever reason was invalid (not taken). I guess Argent is used somewhere in DC Comics which I didn't bother to look into. I thought of Radiant Jay, it wasn't taken but theming Gadgets (or later Munitions that I wanted to use to differentiate) seemed less likely. So I picked Celestial since Radiant easily themed with it. I gave the character a Staff and a basic look and I was off until I could redeem Marketplace items for a look that I actually wanted.

After creating the appropriate look I wanted I started playing. I soon thought I should put together what I call a "backstory skeleton" which features much of the same information I provided above. Eventually I took all of the ideas I previously had and combined them. I also looked at the style I had (Top Hat and Celestial) and the basic likes of the character (birds, songs and performance) and thought of Zatanna which led directly into the origin story above and suddenly a unique character was born (or at least from my perspective)!

I plan (though that doesn't always go through) to continue with the lore of this character. I haven't written anything in this document since I started in Excel but this is where I will be continuing in case anyone wants to check back at a later date:

Radiant Jay (Jacqueline O'Connor Wolfe)

Feel free to tell me what you think and if you have read through this far you seem to have the same interest that I did in this character concept, or you were just bored. :D
    • Like x 1
  2. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Another image in the brighter Metropolis setting while waving.

[IMG]
  3. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

To light n to far away
  4. Superskull85 Devoted Player

"Too light" as in?

Also I can zoom in more but I'd also cutoff some of the character. If you want a bigger image then just right click the image and open it in a separate tab or just left click it in the page. It's a full resolution image taken directly from a PS4.
  5. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

To light as in to much white n absence of color ;)
  6. Superskull85 Devoted Player

I actually feel kind of the same but just unsure what I'd change given the colour scheme I'd like to use. I'd like to use silver and gold as two main colours but silver doesn't apply the same to the wings that I applied it like the Sequined items do and the Sequined items only have a single colour slot so I can't add in splashes of other colours. I'm also using the Lion skin which doesn't have an active makeup slot so that doesn't help.

Based on what I provided about the concept what would you change to make it less "light?"
  7. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Ur color preference is what makes u happy, I know how frustrating it is. Some things just don't do "silver or gold sometimes black" I had a toon named "silver n gold" starting out I was proud of her , then as I got the better styles , the colors just didn't work, got her to lvl 30 , got bored n deleted
  8. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Alright do you have suggestions if you weren't limited to silver and gold? I get what you're saying but "just give up" (essentially though I know you did not say that specifically) doesn't help a whole lot.

Per your black comment it's just a colour that I find works to break up colours. Almost all of my characters use black in same way but for this one I wanted to "be different" so in those screenshots I was using a darker shade of quartz. Maybe a coloured stones might be better. Though of course which to pick is the problem. :/
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Personally, have no trouble with your colour scheme, but would suggest finding a good spot to have your photo taken
    Also, where did you get her wings from? And how difficult is it to get?
  10. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Splendid Wings which are available on the Marketplace.

Also thanks. However I do have an idea about adding more colour and also more lore. I replaced the black with alternating gem colours based on role/Armory (though I may only use 2 utimately: sapphire and ruby). It is not visible in the screenshots but you can set a colour for the edges of the feathers on the back of the wings. I had that set to gold but it was barely noticeable against the silver. So instead I used the gem colour instead.

If these wings had a third accent I'd also add a more contrasting gold but they only have 2 colour slots (the third doesn't do anything). So looking at the style as a whole I could have heavy gold, heavy silver or heavy gem. I picked silver since it looks like a nice background to the gold on the clothing from the front. Would be nice if this style were revamped a bit in a different version to allow more options like maybe colouring the base of every other feather a different colour. So in this example the feathers would alternate between gold and silver but with a sapphire/ruby highlight. Same goes with the Sequined items actually as well.

I'll post some revisions tomorrow some time. Anyways that's more than you asked for but at least you have some insight on how those wings can be coloured and their limitations. :)
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That is the only place for those wings? May have to check them out then (hate having un-even DBC :()

Haasts has the Small Bird Wings, but it's difficult to see in her paperdoll with her hunched over and the wings furled but she has a brownish primary colour to the feathers with yellow-ish highlights (really need to get things sorted out and start taking their costume photos again, each one has a different spot they go to so that it's easier to line the photos up so it looks like they didn't move between shoots :D)
  12. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Yes they are a single item. They cost 200 Marketplace Cash without a discount.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Damn, personally hate the discount, mucks up the nice neat numbers :p

But, again, thank you, will let you and Dellboy continue discussing colours :D
  14. Superskull85 Devoted Player

I don't have a spot picked out like DarkVisor mentioned to take her photo as I just take them as I level up. However below a more updated version. In addition to what I mentioned earlier I changed the feet to something less clip happy. I want to use the Sequined Formal feet since they were out of the way and weren't too much silver. However I guess the sock/lower part of the Bombshell Harley leg piece or the formal style is too thin. In some angles they looked great but in others it looked more like the shoes were falling apart. lol Hopefully a Sequined Material can be released so that I can take up less of the lower leg.

Anyhow this is the sapphire version of the costume which I'd be using in her Healer Armoury (her powerset in-game is Celestial). I haven't settled on the exact red and shades I would like for the ruby version but when I do I'll post that.

[IMG]

It doesn't look too "light" or absence of colour to me but maybe others might disagree. The fourth colour slot was useful for me for the first time as well since the trail she left was not right. So I adjusted it with a lighter cyan as seen on the eye patch, trim, belt and wing tips.

Anyhow any tips or comments are welcomed. :)
  15. Superskull85 Devoted Player

BTW if you do use those wings you may want to use them with only Acrobatics or Skimming (they both look similar but Acrobatics would look more like the character is using the wings for lift). They looked pretty unnatural when using Flight due to the whole "fist first" animation. Was going to use them on another alt with Flight and decided against it because of this.
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't taken into consideration how flight looks and the fact those wings are attached to the arms (Haasts is the only bird-related character, and she is strictly flight :D)