Masters Of The Universe MMO?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by sirzap, Jul 7, 2015.

1. DC Urban Committed Player

They only do iconic crap, because it is tied with episodes. Which is why we hardly if ever get anything not related to popular DC themes.
  2. sirzap Well-Known Player

3. sirzap Well-Known Player

• Like x 2
  4. sirzap Well-Known Player

Road map for the MMO

1. He-Man vs. Skeletor
    2. She-Ra vs. Hordak
    3. Rise of Snakemen
    4. Battle for Primus
    5. Other Worlds like Zal-Kron, Xarkoran, Trannis, Venatar etc.
    Possible Cross-over to Bravstarr in Planet New Texas
    6. Preternia
    7. Anti-Eternia
    8. Meteorbs
    9. <reserved>
    10. King Heman

so you got the main game + 9 Expansions.
    • Like x 2
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

One major problem with something like this: who do you play? It's not like you ever saw many side or background characters
  6. Miss Adora Loyal Player

yeah not only you have Eternia, you also have Etheria, extend it into the world of She-Ra. Also got Orko's world, that would be fun where everything is backwards.

If they ever do make a MOTU mmo, just hope we can create our own characters
    • Like x 1
  7. sirzap Well-Known Player

well my idea is this.

there would be 3 Basic Classes for starters.
    1. Warrior -Tank
    2. Mage - Healer
    3. Tech Hunter - Controller (kinda cross between Tech and Ammunition)
    4. Ranger - Controller? (a combination of Archer+Rogue)

so how do you create?

let's say you want to play as Ram-Man. So you select He-Man's side, Warrior, then Ram-Man ... this is among He-Man, Fisto, Man-E-Faces etc. in Short your Toon would look like Ram-Man. Its not Ram-Man but it looks like Ram-Man. Just the same you can change styles along the way.

however, when you reach the maximum level and/or end game you may now choose an actual Masters of the Universe Character. which is Ram-Man. now this Ram-Man has an extra skill tree. It would have the Skill trees of a warrior plus Ram-Man's skills. e.g. Head Butt, Juggernaut Dash, Battering Ram and Spring-into-Action.

Also you can not change their style unless you buy a new skin. just imagine He-man in his basic Battle Harness , Battle Armor, Ice Armor, Snakeman Armor, Laser Light Armor etc. Plus they are also overpowered 'coz you wont feel their MOTU-ness without being much stronger.

You can only play this Master's Class Character during Endgame mission except for solo mission. Also the system must not allow duplicate Master's Characters or we may end up having a bunch of He-Mans'.

in short you can create Basic Class Toons. then You can "buy" Masters Class Toons.

-------------

now, being an overthinker I thought of some ramifications, this would lead to some question like "why don't we create a beastmaster class"? like it has skill trees for summoning, shapeshifting, and animal spirit (kinda like Vixen's) because that would be fun. for me , that would result in OP for the Basic Class because it would be batter than Beastman who has only 1 skill tree of summoning. I would rather have him get a Warrior skill tree as core with animal summoning instead. It would take away the fun of playing as beastman because every one else can play like beastman without getting his Masters Class Character.

more... much more to come
    • Like x 1
  8. sirzap Well-Known Player

Hi! I'm back again.

I think we need to compress this.

A. He-Man vs. Skeletor

B. She-Ra vs. Hordak... and Rise of the Snakemen

C. Battle for Primus ... and Other Worlds like Zal-Kron, Xarkoran, Trannis, Venatar etc. Possible Cross-over to Bravestarr in Planet New Texas. Also Meteorbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQyq8M4APc

maybe we can inject some Battle Cat-Man

[IMG]

D. Preternia. Anti-Eternia. other threats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x53anhgqIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLmvglCqNaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_lhs-bKLBM

E. King Heman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnU53Xt6z8

Imagine releasing expansions every 2 to 3 years. I think this would keep us busy from the release up to 10 years at least.
    • Like x 1
  9. sirzap Well-Known Player

So lets start with Eternia. here's a map of their world and obviously ETERNOS , the capital city of ETERNIA, is way nearer to CASTLE GRAYSKULL as compared to SNAKE MOUNTAIN.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. sirzap Well-Known Player

hi guys it seems i'm having a writer's bloc. while it seems good inside my head, whenever I put it in writing I get stumped. see previous post. I was supposed to expound on the locations on Eternia but I ended up not able to put it down and just submitted it. so currently ,and the immediate future, I will be busy on my personal activities and I might as well post the core idea for the MMO which is the Character Classes after this post.

I will list the outline of the game overview currently listed inside my head.

Typical game content would be:
    - Choosing Classes
    - Leveling up character. Towns. Locations.
    - End Game. Mission. Tier Armor.
    - Events
    - PVP.
    - Other features: NPCs.

I n the case of leveling up your characters It would take 1 to 40 levels. Ideally, fro my point of view, it would be 10 levels for each town. so there would be 4 towns when you level up. 1st town would we deal with basics of quests discovery, trading, repairing, interacting with NPCs. The quests would deal with resource gathering, killing creeps, acquiring items, etc. Of course after defeating the 1st town boss you would then be sent to the 2nd town by the quest giver. The quest giver would then be a resident of the town recommending you to go to a "specialization" , or simply means based on your "role".

The 2nd town would be 3 towns. So if you are a tank you go a a town that deals with tank related quests. quests on these towns entails grouping, advance repairs, auction, sending messages, making friends. In other words this would be putting Multiplayer in MMO. quests here usually have their own bosses. Also you can have your own house/base from here on.

just take note that splitting the 2nd town into 3 is just my idea, it can be just 1 town depending on the developers decision.

The 3rd town, this is where PVP is introduced. first 2 towns would have no PVP. This town would have a middle that on both side shall have their own faction. Just think of the Brianiac Incursion, both factions shall have soldiers spawning and attacking your side. You will defend your side and attack the other side. If there are professions in this game this town would introduce you to that.

And of course the 4th town would be depending on which faction you're included. If you're with the Eternian Protectors you will have to go to ETERNOS, and if you joined Skeletor's army you will go to SNAKE MOUNTAIN. just like in DCUO your first visit you will have tour. my idea is that there should be at least 1 quest each revisiting the 3 other towns. if possible there would be missions involving caddying lowbies. So most of the mission here are outside this town and you need to ride the Wind Raider. unlike the first 3 towns that you can easilly get to a cave or dungeon near your town.

take note that all the leveling up will not involve engaging any Masters character, meaning you don't fight BEASTMAN, MERMAN, TRAP-JAW etc. or MAN-AT-ARMS, MAKENECK, ROBOTO, etc. you can only interact with them as NPCs on your 4th town.

And last but not the least you got the END GAME. In the END GAME this were you can engage with and against MASTERS characters as a fighting NPC or as a BOSS in your missions. you would be interacting with minor characters or newly introduced characters in your first 3 towns. The reason being is to focus on the game first.

Now as for the expansions, which is will have another planet which is ETHERIA. my idea is to have towns similar to ETERNIA. first 3 towns then BRIGHT MOON or FRIGHT ZONE as the 4th. but then the ETHERIAN end game would be TIER 2. Then the SNAKEMEN expansion would be TIER 3, no need for new towns for this one because this would be in ETERNIA. For Primus expansion they would still have their own towns for the first 3 and STARSHIP ETERNIA or LETVIAN as the 4th Town for the good guys, NORDOR for the evil side. Just the same TIER 4 end game would be added for this expansion. If there would be more expansion it would be end game contents as it would be mainly in ETERNIA.
    • Like x 1
  11. sirzap Well-Known Player

as for Character Classes here is the list:

A. He-Man vs. Skeletor
    1. Warrior
    2. Mage
    3. Tech Hunter
    4. Ranger

both sides can create them.

B. She-Ra Vs. Hordak. Rise of Snakemen
    5. ILLuminancer (Magician of Light)
    6. Honor Guard/Knight (this has a long back-story. because this is no such equivalent of Palladin in MOTU lore).
    only good side can create them
    7. Shahowcaster
    8. Technomorpher - idea is so good this is already my favorite.
    only bad side can create them
    9. Acolyte
    only Snakemen can create them.
    if the developer wants a good side then Reptoids can create them. Reptoid is the race of Lizardman/Gayn

C. Galactic Guardians vs. Space Mutants
    10. [idea is on hold for the moment] - good side only
    11. [idea is on hold for the moment] - bad side only
    the lore for this one is really a stretch. if the Honor Guard/Knight is a stretch, the last 2 are a stretch of a stretch. the idea is not withn the lore but i think and feel they are both good. will expound on this later on.

D. Preternia. Other Dimensions. etc.
    12. [guess what this is] - both sides can create

if Priest is to Illuminancer/Acolyte, Palladin is Honor Guard/Knight, then Monk is to....... [insert 12 class]

to give you a clue

• Like x 2
  12. sirzap Well-Known Player

hi guys, whats up? any feedback from you? violent reactions? suggestions? likes or dislikes?

how about me creating my own website just for this topic?
  13. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

I don't think the classes, more classes in expansions etc. approach will do the game any good. First of all, most successful MMOs nowadays try to get along with max 4 roles/classes nowadays and people usually are over-challenged to figure them out. Then there are a lot of Characters in the lore who come with traits that originate in their racial background - Buzz-Off, Stratos, Clawful, Whiplash to name a few. You may better want to think that over before the start, since changing a class/ability system after launch is.... well, I assume you know the mess that is called DCUO ;) ?
    • Like x 1
  14. sirzap Well-Known Player

thanks for your reply.

1. as for "going more than 4 classes making the game difficult". can you explain to me how World of Warcraft and Guild wars 2 are doing fine even having 9 or more classes are doing fine?

2. racial traits. I have already removed that in the equation. it would be difficult to implement that because of balance. for one thing the heroic Eternian guardians has flying races like those of buzz-off and stratos while skeletor's evil warrior doesn't. how would you implement mer-man's race? on He-man's side you got mostly humans while on Skeletor's side they have variety. So what I came up with is simply creating a character that looks like a MOTU character.

3. changing class/ability system after launch... where did you get that idea?

4. mess = DCUO. DCUO is a different animal. What I am proposing would be in line with WoW, GW2, Elder Scrolls, FF, and the like. They have Warriors, Mages, Rangers, Shamans, Druids, etc. That is what MOTU would be like but with a twist. its not going to be like DCUO with are based on certain elemental powers or tech.

As for the twist of course you see that it has no Druid, no Shaman, no Rogues, etc. because there is none in their lore. So instead you'll have Illuminancer and Shadowcasters as alternate mages. not a witch/warlock/mesmer and the like. since there is no Druid that shapeshifts well we got Techomorphers as the likes of Hordak, Modulok, and Multi-bot.

also the mess that some, not most, not the majority, and not the many that some active players think is about the stat, skill tree, etc. that was change. Am I going in that direction? of course not. it would be like os the of WoW, GW2, FFXIV etc. they have been proven effective so why deviate from that?

To be honest maybe I'm missing some of your points. or maybe you're assuming too much... dunno... kindly clarify
  15. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Sure. Guild Wars 2 is building on Guild Wars, the previous game of the same series, and WoW is around like seemingly forever. Both series originate in a time when having difficult/challenging video games was totally ok, and build their fanbase "back then" already. A completely new MMO on the other side should orientate itself among games that originate at about the same time, and look for the traits of the typical gamer of nowadays - shorter attention span, millenial, used to having things cartered towards them etc. If a new game seems "too much work" to get into it or understand it, people don't buy anymore.

And your game would need to make money, since you need to buy a license of Mattel. Which is the direct path to the secong point against a class system: while GW and WoW build their own lore, to their liking, to something where classes/roles feel "natural", MOTU is a lor where every iconic character basically was designed to be unique in abilities (to hide away the fact that most of them were build from mostly the same parts :D). "Class" characterization feels artificial in that environment.

You should first of all collect ALL the existing lore available, and especially get your hands on the mini comics that came with the early figures. In one of them there are some sorta "water demons" displayed that obey Mer-Man, basicallyto display that like Beast Man, they are rulers to some extend but have to obey Skeletor (making the Skeletor character seem even more powerful). Then, while moving on in the lore, you'll find examples where the specimen of a race that serves Skeletor has been expelled from their society because the others believe in hospitality and being nice etc.

As for balance - there are plenty methods shown in lore to counter the flying advantage, as in air vehicles or several of Skeletor's goons using flying mounts (Beast Man and Fang Man for sure, prolly more if I take a look again).

Basically, at toonn creation you pick a race and a side (unless for some specific races that are exclusive to one side) and have a basic look defined; also, you got some of trait slots filled with racial traits like flying, breathing under water, reptile tail attack or monster claw attack or snake venom spray etc. The character the develops further by mastering those traits and/or picking up "professional" traits while working/fighting for one of the sides.

Conclusion. Your class system and classes released with expansion already looks not hooking up with nowadays gamers (except for maybe a minority). Minority games do usually not make enough cash to afford a blockbuster license (and MOTU to some extend still is, the license will most probably cost you a 7 digit sum in US dollars). So at some point after release you will either have to shut down in total or change what the players don't like - the class/ability system. DCUO had the original approach, WM, CR relevancy and the current one, SWG had Pre-CU, CU and NGE to name prominent examples of games working with a "third-party" license, and a MOTU MMO should not falter with the first phase of losing players again.

This is where you fall short, and by far. First of all Mental and Magic are already 2 "classes" in DCUO that come with a more sorcery type of lore in the back, and celestial from the expansion powers goes the same way.

Second, it doesn't matter if your classes cast spells or fire lasers - they participate in combat/the game in a certain role, either buffing/de-buffing, healing, damaging or taking damage/focusing enemy attention on themseves. Third: all of your examples started as video game lores, meaning the defining first publication in that lore was a video game. Both MOTU and DCUO are not; MOTU started toys with comics the animated series, DC started comics only, later tv shows and toys. Both reached video games as basically the last media type with a lot of lore in their back that doesn't fit well with static video game structures while FF, WoW, GW, Lineage , Elder Scrolls etc. present a lore that was designed to make static video game approaches feel great for the player.

Because first of all giving classes other names while having them act like classes in other games - or a combination of classes - is n ot a twist, just pure semantics.

And second, as spelled out before: All your examples were designed for video games or at least RPG systems, and MOTU is the opposite approach (they have a need for structures and rules and simply build a fitting lore afterwards; MOTU has a lore and you as developer should find a set of structures and rules that display the existing lore in the best possible way while not losing the fanbase you buy with acquiring the license nor blocking off potential players with those structures being too complex).

Clarified. Though: I'm pretty sure some of the key criticism will not reach you since it's very easy to see how much the class system is already a pet peeve to you.

This thread is going on for over 3 years and you barely got positive feedback for the class approach, but "race" as a counter concpetion has been suggested twice. And that is on a forum of a third-party lore MMO with said third-party actually also publishing MOTU comics. That should give you a hint.

However: The road to pick is of course highly depending on the target audience of choice.
  16. She-Ra Well-Known Player

I really enjoyed reading this thread especially Battle Cat-Man!
  17. sirzap Well-Known Player

wade spalding... thank you for your answers. that kind of reply is what I need especially with considering the Millennial psyche. i did consider that however based on your perception I fell short from your "criteria". the reason I only gave 4 each installment is that i wanted to have only 4 classes. I think 3 years gap is a good learning curve and exhaustively enjoy playing your character.

also having to pay mattel upfront for the rights , its a topic on its own. Im just on a short break at my work and hopefully I can answer point by point.
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Having just four classes (covering each of the types: fighter, rogue, healer & mage, not DPS, Control, Tank & Heals) reduces the Elitist Snobbery ("We want X Type, but we don't want Y Class")
    You will still get it, butt it should be reduced (in EQ2 often get calls for Chain Healer only required which ostracizes the Plate healers like Clerics or Leather healers like Wardens)

Having 16 (or more) classes can only really be efficient with an extremely large player base
  19. Azreaus Committed Player

Will players be required to participate in PVP? Because as soon as I (and others) see mandatory PVP in a game I'll just walk away from it regardless of how awesome the theme/concept of the game is.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Sounds a bit like what you had in WAR (Warhammer: Age of Reckoning), or even with DCUO and the "Ring War" and "Diamond Heist" where it was (is) optional

Personally loathe PvP, butt what they had in WAR was, well, fun: huge multiplayer free-for-alls, even though it was still Player Versus Player never personally felt like was going to get 'ganked' (as it often feels at other times when it's just 'One on One'), still often ended up killed butt had just as much the chance of scoring a win