Masters Of The Universe MMO?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by sirzap, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

I think I'd go a different way - I'd reward player activity, success and of course spent money ;) in MOTU's legends system. But that has to do with me having a good idea of how a MOTU MMO should be like.

That's about 70% along my lines. Basically, I think the lore can provide background and can lead to a starting point in the MMO - which could be the comet - but from that point on, a story or dynamic of its own is needed. Players need the feeling of actually being able to change something and not replay stuff that is written in a plot.
    • Like x 1
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

To continue from what I posted earlier, a mmo player and He-man fan from the official website wrote an in depth idea description. Here's the excerpt:

[IMG]
    Game Modes:

MOTU will feature 4 unique game modes, offering long term play, personal experiences, or fast action games that give quick rewards.

Single Player: In this Player VS AI mode, choose your Eternian Legend and play through Eternia in an immerse story driven world with multiple arcs. Explore the vast world of Eternia from the perspective of your Eternian Legend, good or evil and seek wealth, fortune and adventure as you interact with and battle some of the greatest Legends of Eternia.

Team Adventure: In this Player VS AI mode, party up with 5 members and explore Eternia as you seek the power of Grayskull.

Drop In: Drop into epic boss battles where players engage mythic creatures to earn rewards for themselves and their factions. Sink deep into the firey depths of Subternia to battle molten Rock Golems, and all that slumbers beneath the surface of Eternia's crust, or journey to Darksmoke and come face to face with Dragons!

Ultimate Battleground: (Requires Faction team) Seek to rule Eternia. Each mini game follows a story and each battle between 2 teams of 10 (win/loss) determines who conquers Grayskull. Team members contribute gold and resources to each event to ensure victory. Each win will secure your territory as you move up a ladder to claim victory. As territories are conquered and held, one team alone rises to become rulers of Eternia and Masters of the Universe!

The Factions:

Choosing your faction will not only determine your role in the history of Eternia, it will also grant you a unique skill available only to that faction. While humble at first, at higher levels, these traits may determine a loss or win in the ultimate Battleground! Each drop in game style scenario will pit players against one another in the race to gather wealth, relics and artifacts to unlock the secrets of Castle Grayskull. Factions will control territory, and wage an ongoing war to possess all the power of the ancients and rule the universe.

The Defenders of Eternia: Heroes that come from all over the planet, charged with protecting Eternia from the forces of Evil. They maintain peace, balance and order, ensuring the the ultimate power of castle Grayskull is never corrupted.
    Faction Bonus Skill: Stalwart in Battle, all members of this faction receive increased Armor Stats and Magic Resistance.

Evil Warriors: Bound together by the will of their enigmatic leader Skeletor, villains under his rule seek to conquer Eternia and obtain the power of Grayskull for their master.
    Faction Bonus Skill: Bullies and thugs alike, all of Skeletor's minions do increased Damage during battle when their numbers outweigh their enemies, capitalizing on weaknesses

The Evil Horde: Servants of the Horde are terrifying to behold in battle, and seek to enslave every living soul in the universe, employing twisted technology, and warping the very essence of magic, as they corrupt and convert everything that stands in their way of ultimate control.
    Faction Bonus Skill: An relentless Horde, all Horde members receive increased Health Regeneration when out of combat.

Snakemen: An ancient and powerful race of reptilian humanoids under the control of King Hiss, these primitive warriors fearlessly serve their master, using natural gifts of fang and claw to rend enemies in the war to anoint their King as ruler of Eternia, and rule the planet.
    Faction Bonus Skill: All of King Hiss' minions receive increased Movement and Attack Speed when locked in combat.

The Great Rebellion: United against The Horde, the most courageous of hearts and minds come together to rid the planet of evil and aid the The Defenders of Eternia in vanquishing all threats to peace, love and harmony.
    Faction Bonus Skill: Mystically Attuned to the magic of Etheria, all members of the Great Rebellion gain increased Mana and Energy Regeneration.

Eternian Legends

Each customizable avatar of an iconic Masters of the Universe character comes with 3 skill trees which can be tailored to complement their amazing abilities and your own unique play style. For example, one may build Stinkor as a fast-moving nimble assassin, stunning and crippling single targets with choking gas to set them up for a crushing blow from a mighty bruiser like Clawful, or instead build him as a slow moving support, kept at a distance to buffer his team with an ever expanding fog of choking death, swinging team fights in the favor of the enemy. As you will never encounter the same Eternian Legend in any gaming instance, you cannot expect to know how a Legendary character you are familiar with and now pitted against will play as each person will build differently.

While all Defenders possess the Eternian Resilience tree, and all Snakemen have Apex Predator, investment into these trees drastically vary from legend to legend based on that characters unique stats and skills. For example, He-Man would potentially gain the most stats from maxing Eternian Resilience, soaking up the most damage directly in combat, however increasing Mekaneck's Eternian Resilience would greatly benefit his effectiveness as a solo scout, allowing him to take risks far from the protection of his team, granting vision to his allies, uncovering traps and finding unique items and loot.

Unlike Marvel Heroes (that let you play as an iconic Marvel character in overpopulated maps) your Eternian Legend will be unique during each game.
    You will not be able to play as He-Man, Teela, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Webstor etc if someone else has chosen him for the event. You will have to choose someone else. This may seem unfair to some, but would be intended to keep the games pure and visually exciting. It will also force players to choose Eternians that best suit the needs of the team, fostering more complex and diverse team compositions, rather than simply have 4 He-Man's running around the map. You just may discover a under appreciated hero or villain that you will love!

SNAKE FACE: Evil Snakeman with Petrifying Gaze

Apex Predator: Players that invest in this tree will take advantage of the Snakemen's natural speed, strength and ability to consume their defeated enemies, regenerating their health more quickly in battle, creating a sturdy killing machine.

Mystical Gaze: Players who choose this tree will further amplify Snakeface's mystical gaze, increasing its range, effect and cooldown, allowing him to petrify entire battalions of enemies, creatures, and even the heartiest Eternian Legend.

Tooth & Claw: Players who focus in this tree, will increase the damage of all tooth and claw based attacks, sharpening their natural gifts, to strike even faster with linger bleed effects.

FISTO: Heroic Master of Hand to Hand Combat

Eternian Resilience: Players that invest in this tree will increase the heartiness of their heroic Eternian warrior, further increasing their Legend's damage resistance to ensure victory over even the most deadly of strike or sinister spell.

Fist Mastery: Players who choose this tree will further amplify the might of Fisto's signature hand, granting him stunning blows and crushing grips to clobber his enemies into submission.

Combat Mastery: Players who focus in this tree, will increase the damage of all sword attacks, sharpening steel, to perform devastating precision attacks with bleed effects and critical strikes.

SCARE-GLOW: Evil Master of Fear

Ethereal Form Tree: Players who focus in this tree will build a relentless ghostly warrior, that is highly resistant to physical harm, or can effortlessly slip away into a vapor should the fight turn in the enemy favor, allowing them to stalk the battlefield, and go toe to toe with the mightiest of Eternians,

Fear Mastery Tree: Players who choose this tree will create a haunting specter, that while perhaps frail, will confound enemies, incite terrifying visions that will freeze enemies in place, interrupt spell casting, and send enemies fleeing in fear.

Scythe Mastery Tree: Players that invest in this tree will charge Scare-Glows scythe with powers drawn from the nether realm, filling his strikes with such deadly magic, that even He-Man, the strongest man in the universe will tremble at the sight of his ominous weapon

BLAST-ATTACK: Evil Exploding Snakeman Robot

Armored Golem: Players that invest in this tree will take advantage of Blast Attak's massive bulk and armored skin, adding extreme resistance to harm,
    Unlike other Snakemen who are gifted with speed, Blast Attak reduces in movement as his armor and magic resist increases, making him a slow moving juggernaut.

Critical Mass: Players who choose this tree will further amplify the intensity of Blast Attaks explosive core, granting him extreme range and AOE destruction potential. Blast Attak will burn down his enemies, and even pierce mystical barriers with his steaming, molten hot bolts and shield searing shrapnel. Should he be destroyed, this tree may grant him the chance to reconstitute after death, and continue the carnage.

Combat Mastery: Players who focus in this tree, will increase the damage of all Blast Attak's melee attacks, granting him even more bone crunching strength as he cuts a swath through his enemies with his razor sharp modified axe.
  3. sirzap Well-Known Player

^^thanks angel for putting that on the thread ;)

1. UE3 noted. however if there is 5 year development schedule it might go for U4. just sayin'.

2. character creation. ok I get it. I see what you did there. so its based on action figure pieces then body paint err color customization

3. flight. but lets leave that to the storyline. about travelling into their kingdom they could use jet packs, skimming (gliders or hoverboards), that flying "jet ski" still don't remember the actual name, or even gryphons.

4. stealth. yup its in there if you ask me about Legend-type story arcs. Ninjor or westor type mission.

5. I would call it Iconic based/type character creation. what I was saying is that a flying tung lashor is awkward.

6. yes. its like looking for a Kryptonian Powerset but in this case it is Magically Strong powerset. But sometimes we just need not to have an exact powerset for some characters. or simply we could leave them them the way they are and let the players make the most of the powerset available.

another case would be DLC as you have agreed. Imagine the first wave to be Human, Robot, and Cyborg. Second wave could be Plant, Bestial/Primal, and Insectoid. and the list goes on. Although Two-Bad would be present early on I'm still wondering how would they implement it.

7. Free-for-all-character combo is not my aim. If you go with my Flying TUng Lashor on He-Man faction example, I'm up against it too. Choosing a character icon mean you already choose his side. like If you chose Tri-Klops then you're on Skeletors side. If a Player wants to have a Tri-Klops theme character he has play it under Skeletor's faction.

8. Don't worry I'm not the type who always insists that my idea is the Better way. Its just a suggestion for movement modes as the MOTU game must more on fighting. after all the game company could simply scratch it. and also it does not mean its not better at all, it would depend on the creators of the game.

Also I'm fully aware that Zodac is not always neutral. Heck! his action figure was even sold as an EVIL Cosmic enforcer during the 80's. I'm just thinking along the line that If I'm creating a storyline I would use him sort of a messenger to warn both factions.

9. isn't my idea have rewards? I might be missing something?

10. Can you expound your last sentence?
  4. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Ah, yupp - my bad. I didn't take development time into account and that a lot old platforms may become obsolete during that time frame. Agreed.

Done ideally it should take care of all clipping issues and save performance while looking like the fans expect it :D

I think we're pretty much on the same side her and just have different detailed approaches in mind.

These go together. Example from DCUO: You take a mission, you do part of it and decide to skip it and it stays forever in your toons journal, unless you finish it accidently some day. And every player can do so the very same way, unlimited. I'm thinking about time frames: accept mission, fail or succeed at it, and do the next mission. Get a good quota for a certain time frame, and you move up on being allowed to use certain iconic/legendary characters for open world, not in some instanced queue, sending your character in either a bot or sleep mode, until you get defeated as the iconic character or decide to move to another iconic character (or back to your own character).

In DCUO, this would be like: be CR 40-50, defeat the most bounties in the basic game at your relevant CR and then be allowed to queue for becoming one of the hero bounty targets in the open world if you own the legends toon (and it is unlocked for legends), like Green Arrow or Arkillo. It's a bad example because DCUO isn't very consistent in its content and does miss many legends characters. So in MOTU, be the best for a certain timeframe and move up one tier of your factions Iconics. Be the best for many timeframes in a row and be allowed to be Skeletor or He-Man in open world until defeated, then start again at the bottom so other players can become Skeletor or He-Man (always in the same open world as your created character does exist in). Like a reward for actually being active in the game.

And be able to to do dynamic content while doing so. As in opposed to "queue repeatedly for the same raid/alert/duo", which is like running the same script over and over again.
    • Like x 1
  5. sirzap Well-Known Player

since were in agreement with the most of it I'll be focusing on the last one which is the "legends" aspect.

yesterday I was reviewing some of the previous posts and it seems I was not able to give a satisfactory answer for the Income model for this MMO. I simply said subscription but was not bale to give an alternative then it hit me action-figure character customization as you said and my iconics selection during character creation... it was simply buying an action figure, once buy an action figure and you play it right. so assuming that if you don't want to pay subscription then by simply paying an action figure , an example would be Ram-Man, you'll have 1 slot for Ram-Man legendary and Iconic; you'll play Ram-Man type of Character and you get to play his Legendary Story.

To make it more specific, my Legends storyline as said would be like flash back and story fillers. in other words a back story of the legends character and current personal missions of that legends character. it will pop-out every level brackets, lets say 5; so that means if we are to copy the 30 level limit that DCUO has it would mean at levels 5,10, 15, 20, and 25 you'll have a legends quest. I'm reserving the level 30 because it is simply you character's story and not the legends/icon you picked so they would simply give a speech to welcome you as a Master Of The Universe on level 30. Upon realization with the player interacting with them, they would simply be your mentor throughout the main storyline.

Now comparing with yours, so you want your Legends character to be playable in the open world, so that gave me new ideas:

1. your idea. you get to play as your legends character for a certain period of time.
    2. my new idea based on #1. that would be level 25 legends mission. your character would substitute your legends character what supposed to be their task or role for that mission.
    3. since my original idea is that legends mission would only be for your chosen Iconic character it would be kind like a dcuo-alert that they need at least a character mentor by this and that legend character. example: they need a ram-man, mechaneck, roboto, and teela type of character. but the downside of this is that what if they miss at least 1 type of legend-based character e.g. no teela and/or roboto and/or mechaneck and/or ram-man type? the solution then is that it would be rewarding if just 1 of them appears. take note I'm not saying this is a legends alert , this is a open-world character.
    4. another would be having a full battle legends PvE gear for the last mission. it was kindalike #2 except it is not required for your character to substitute the legends, its more like a soft requirement to proceed for that final mission. having completed or displaying that legend style gear during the final mission gives you some bonus particularly your iconic powers. now this would require some replay on your legends missions as I said in my previous post that you'll be rewarded with legends PvE gear.
    5. combine #2 and #4. whatever level that mission is you need a full legends PvE gear to proceed, because you are suppose to look and fight like your chosen Legends character on the open-world.

Now I'm going on another idea but still related with the legends storyline. take note that is one of that ideas I have before starting this thread. Whenever you create your open-world character you get to choose a legendary character. Your Open-World Character is your "Eternia" character, while the Legends Character would be your "Alternia". You got 2 worlds/universes for this kind of approach. Same missions, same storyline, same maps, everything except that your actual playing 2 characters in 1 slot. So if you like to play a Marvel Heroes type of game, that you can play your favorite MOTU character regardless if there are thousand of players using the same character then Alternia is your playground. If you simply want a unique character but inspired from legends that Eternia is the place to be. You got the best of both worlds, pun intended.

If in case you want a Legends inspired by a villain but you want a heroic unique heroes then it could be possible as long as the game mechanics allows it to. in this case my idea of iconic character may or not apply on the open-world character.

An alternative approach would be 2 servers, 1 for each character. 1 server for eternia, 1 server for alternia. they having nothing to do with each other except that they under your account.
  6. sirzap Well-Known Player

bumping this thread.

Now, recently I stumbled on an article for a heman movie in the works getting a writer, (thread here https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/he-man-movie.258674/ ). Then I was watched old cartoons of heman on youtube and surely this thread came into my mind again.

there so many things that came into my mind, which includes ideas of classes/powers/professions, character creation, and availability.

I think this might be the biggest stumbling block of creating this MMO.

you see there are some considerations like the ff:
    -the traditional trinity of dps, healer, tank. here in dcuo we have 4 dps, healer, tank, controller.
    -classes/powers/professions. you got warriors the uses melee weapons, cyborgs and tech gun men that can shoot, mages that can cast spells. skeletor is kinda a combo of them all, heman can be a warrior + tech.
    -the factions. good side has the heroic warriors and the rebels of etheria. while the evil side has skeletor's warriors, the snakemen and the horde.
    -races. how would you deal with races for each faction? snakemen would just be snakemen, while the skeletor's and the horde can get a lot of variety. eternians and etherians would be mostly humans and some twiggets for the later. so lets enumerate them

Villains
    Human - Evi-Lyn
    Human Cyborg - Tri-Klops
    Gar - SkeletorCyborg Gar? - Trap-jaw
    Robot - Blast Attack
    SnakemenBeastmen - Beastman
    Fishman - Mer-man
    Caligars - Whiplash
    Karikoni - Clawful
    Arachna - Webstor

Heroic
    Human - Man-At-Arrms
    Human Cyborg - Mechaneck
    Gar - ???Cyborg Gar - Cy-Clone
    Robot - Roboto
    Lizardmen - Lizard Man (Gayn)
    Bird people - Stratos
    Twigget - Sprigget
    Speleans -King Dactyl

if you notice there is 3 races for the heroic side that flies and for the villains there are lots of bestial races. so for simplicity the choices would simply be humans, cyborg and robot. from there we could branch out to something else like bestials.

so for the initial list, here they are, and the characters in which they are based: (lets skip the support roles for simplicity)

Eternian Protectors
    Enchantment - Sorceress, Teela (yes! in the future she can be The Goddess)
    Guard - He-man, Fisto, Ram-Man, Mechaneck, Extendar
    Tech - Man-at-arms, Clamp Champ, Rio Blast
    Botanokinesis - Plant Manipulation- Moss Man
    Mystic - Zodac
    Lizard Scout - Lizard Man (Gayn)

Skeletor Warriors
    Dark Arcane - Skeletor, Count Marzo, King Hiss, Evi-Lyn
    Feral - monstrous stength - Beastman, Clawful, Whiplash
    Tech- Tri-Klops, Trap-Jaw
    Botanokinesis - Plant Manipulation- Evil Seed
    BeastMaster - summons beasts - Beastman, Mer-Man
    Snakemen - Kobra Khan's hood, Sssqueeze long arms
    unless they can find a way to re-CLASSify powers/professions based on MOTU that'll be truly great.
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Not sure where people got he idea there are only 'three roles' (personally blaming WoW, because everyone uses that as the example for the base of nearly every new MMO), but fairly sure you had the four you see in DCUO in EverQuest1 (interesting: EverQuest has the red line under it, but EverQuest1 doesn't o_O)
  8. Zero303 Well-Known Player

Necroing a good thread.Its an awesome idea still.
  9. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Look out, zombie thread ahead
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Just had to bump the thread with this, HAPPY HOLIDAYS
    • Like x 2
  11. Malicious VonTain Well-Known Player

A He-Man mmo. It would be like if Age of Conan and World Of Warcraft had a baby.
    Id play it. But my vote would be for a Thundercats mmorpg.
    • Like x 2
  12. CHUD Loyal Player

Ya' know.....the more I think of it.....
    Somebody needs to make a MOTU MMO. It's long over due.

Same thing goes with G.I. Joe, Transformers, TMNT,......

Seriously......it needs to happen.

And I know what name I'd be using for MOTU. I'm already claiming it.

.....Sphinktor.......
    • Like x 1
  13. sirzap Well-Known Player

there was a transformers mmo in the works but it was scrapped
  14. Malicious VonTain Well-Known Player

That could have been interesting.
    But better would have been a Beast Wars mmo

[IMG]
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

How would that have even worked? Like "Marvel Heroes 2015" where you end up with fifty dozen Prime's and Starscream's? or create your own transformer?

Personally would have preferred a Transformer MMO based on the original cartoons (still loath what they did to Bumblebee: beetle's for ever!!!!)
  16. CHUD Loyal Player

Yeah....I do seem to remember a Transformer MMO that was being worked on somewhere. Just didn't know what happened to it. But who knows....maybe in the right hands it could work.

But,......toy / cartoon based MMOs that could possibly work.....
    G.I. Joe,
    He-Man / Masters of the Universe
    Ghostbusters
    Transformers
    TMNT (not the Michael Bay versions)
    My Little Pony (I know.....I'm stepping on some toes here and I'm not even a Brony)
    Dragonball Z (????)
    • Like x 1
  17. Malicious VonTain Well-Known Player

An MMO form of that sounds odd. A single player might be better. Id try it, as long as it was based on the original ponies. Not the new one they have now. I want old-school or nothing.
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

There are already Bleach, Naruto and One Piece online games (Bleach and Naruto are basically the same but with different 'skins', even though they are supposedly from different 'companies'), so surprised there isn't a DBZ already
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You too prefer the Original Ponies? Back when they looked more like authentic ponies (albeit ones that can talk and fly and stuff)? Did you know they released a number of episodes on DVD including the Christmas Movie? :D
  20. CHUD Loyal Player

.....I was also thinking this.....
    • Like x 1