Marvel v DC?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by The Lone Stranger, Dec 28, 2013.

1. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

IF...
    SOE made 2 games...
    Marvel Universe Online
    and DC Universe Online
    (basically the exact same game with different storylines, Legends, and NPCs)

Which would you prefer and why?

(not comparing the Marvel Heroes game to DCUO... but DC comics world to Marvel comics world)
    • Like x 1
  2. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

For me...

MARVEL!!

Why?
    1. Marvel hasn't rebooted the universe repeatedly so that readers no longer know WHAT continuity is.
    2. Marvel history is decades old. Unlike DC, where something less than 10 yo is considered ICONIC.
    3. Been an X-Men fan since.... well.... since before X-Men were cool!
    4. No Lanterns.
    5. Spider-Man!
    6. Marvel would probably see a larger influence of Power Armors, etc, as opposed to Lanterns in DC.
    7. No Lanterns!
    8. Age of Apocolypse
    9. No Lanterns!!!
    • Like x 1
  3. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

DC. Marvel always seemed like the knock off to me. That, and it's mostly just mutated humans. Meh.
    • Like x 5
  4. Soulmass Well-Known Player

DC because IMO marvel villains suck and are boring. For me it's all about the villains and no one beats the Joker. Downside to DC though is Superman and all Superman related characters including lame Krypto. Marvel just doesn't have interesting enough villains.
    • Like x 4
  5. Zuse Loyal Player

DC

has better more mature characters, hey dont u dare blame sups for being a too good boy.
    has lanterns
    has the spectre
    has batman
    has swamp thing
    infinite crisis and crisis on infinite earths
    Because he is batman
    Better characters
    Joker
    the killing joke
    best villains ever
    darker stories
    • Like x 3
  6. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

I will readily agree: The Joker is one of the biggest draws in DC...
    I STILL want to read a Joker mini-series written by Stephen King!!!
  7. MercPony Devoted Player

I love both publishers equally and this the kind of discussion I tend to avoid xD
    Its been proven many times that they give and takes ideas from each other all the time though.
    • Like x 2
  8. Avianger Active Player

Sorry, Can't resist!

1. Marvel hasn't rebooted the universe ever when they desperately need to in order to fix continuity errors. DC gets a fresh start every decade to revamp their history and retcon the history.
    2. DC history is even older than Marvel.
    3. Been a fan of both Batman and Superman for years.
    4. No X Men!
    5. POWER GIRL!!
    6. Less power armor. I hate power armor builds.
    7. No X Men!
    8. Crisis!!
    9. No X Men!!!

:)

Seriously tho,

I've never been a fan of Marvel Comics, and I've been following DC comics since the events leading up to Zero Hour. I'm a big fan of both Bats and Supes. If they made a Marvel Universe Online, I may try it out, but then go back to DCUO.
    • Like x 1
  9. Zuse Loyal Player

oh and 1 other thing

dcuo has celestial power

/thread
  10. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

But, the DCU hasn't been around since 1939!!!

Sure, Superman was the first superhero, and the concept was created in 1939...
    But how many Supermans ago was that?
    They started over (yet again) very recently, with the premise that super-heroes had only been around 5 years.
    So, DCU is less than 10 years old. (CURRENT CONTINUITY)
    DC repeatedly erasing history is a problem for me...
    For example, DCUO doesn't even match the comics anymore...
    Why? REBOOT.

Also, "ICONIC" content is not less than 10 years old.
    In and before 2003, there was a Green Lantern Corps, and a single yellow power ring. EVER.
    War of the Light is a new concept with little to no history in the comics (check the publishing dates), yet so many people see it as "defining" the DC Universe.
    Popular? maybe. Defining? No. And that's without going into what a logical "fail" the Lantern Spectrum is...

Basically: For me: Marvel > DC because: Other than stories purposely set in alternate realities or a single deal with the devil (Spider-man), Marvel hasn't started over.
    Yet.
  11. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

theoretically, muo would also have celestial power - being developed by the same people.
  12. TrueOlympus New Player

I love both. But in terms of personal favs marvel is better. In a Marvel Universe game it would be easier to make a game plot. Just make everyone a mutant. A virus in introduced to earth that makes the X-gene spread to people that it previously didn't reside in a ta-daa. Call it " The EX-Gene", and you already have a plot dievice similar to Exobytes. Marvel Universe Online. The

FYI: Marvel does not have the "Every body is a mutant" problem. The mutants though a large portion is not as great a presence as it use to be in the comics. Saying that is the equivalent of saying "Evey ones an alien" in DC. Funny thing is that there is more truth to that statement....
  13. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

I'd play both, a Marvel game that was like this one would be freakin awesome!
    I agree with Merc, I love them both and don't really get the DC vs Marvel bs, they are both awesome for their own reasons.
    At the same time they both do incredibly stupid stuff sometimes that I hate! lol
    So if there was a MarvelUO clone of DCUO, I'd definitely split my online gaming 50/50 between the two.
    P.S. Marvel Heroes....blows
    • Like x 4
  14. TrueOlympus New Player

Marvel Heroes may be FTP but its also PTHF (pay to have fun). It most certainly blows
  15. Mont New Player

"Make Mine Marvel" ever notice the marvel cartoons last longer, more seasons then DC
  16. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

Biggest advantage of Marvel Universe Online?
    For Lantern Fans:
    You could have a green aura and make your Hard Light (not Lantern) character a more accurate Green Lantern than you can make in DC Universe Online.
  17. Mont New Player

must show proof lol
  18. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Marvel doesn't have an all-powerful Superman, and I like that.
  19. Mont New Player

no but it has the power cosmic
    [IMG]
    and the Hulk
    [IMG]
  20. BlackWingBeyond Committed Player

I suppose the endgame would be more interesting, since there's more cosmic level characters in the Marvel universe, but I'll still always be a DC fanboy. Because Batman.