Major Power Changes

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by PTFreeze, Apr 22, 2021.

1. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

Hello Everyone,

Idk about you guys but i think some powers can really get an update

Ice/Fire i think if it comes to finisher they are the worst non of them got an 10.000 supercharge witch make them weaker as other in my eyes

i also think both can get some nice combination powers like many other powers got today

last point i think the most important one....thats may alot of work for the devs but i like to see that we get all roles or every power bcs it feels just stupid to get 3 diffrend chars just to cover all up sure some of u like to get many chars but they bring many problems with it ....sp points at every char we have to unlock our sp witch is just a cheap way to make money with...same for artfacts i mean we got many (allround artfacts) so why not give every power all roles to use it ....and there is one last reason for it ...alerts and raids i think sometimes it would take mutch less time if we all can switch to a healer or dps with the char we got and dont have to wait ages or even switch the chars

if i missied something about powers u like to see feel free to post it here
    • Like x 3
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So what, you want the devs to undertake another large-scale revamp of powers so that they play more similarly to one another and so you don't have to play different power sets to perform the various roles in the game?

While I can't speak for others, I'd imagine there are more than a few out there like me who like that the various power sets are NOT carbon copies of one another.

And considering the detail that power sets with different roles is more likely to keep players engaged with the game, I don't see the devs changing that any time soon. Never mind having to go through all the sets and making sure they're balanced in their new roles AND have a mechanic unique for their new roles.
    • Like x 5
  3. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

let me get this you say it isnt a good idea bcs all powers would feel same?? so thats a reason for us to wait in raids until we find someone who is at this point online with the right char and ready to help? tbh i dont really get the point what is better if roles feel more the same or if we get a chance to run a raid quick bcs we can allready switch everywere and anytime to the role we miss?
  4. Shalayah Committed Player

Uh yeah, also devs wouldn’t do that because it kills profits from power change tokens. You’re basically asking for powers to be purely cosmetic and nothing more. People don’t switch powers because of cool animations (well some do) most switch because every power works differently and you’re asking for that to not happen. That’s not how things work in MMOs or even in most team oriented games. You choose your role and you perform at your best.

The problem is that you have players who que up as a role they can’t perform just to reduce wait time so now you’re stuck in a situation where you have nobody to perform said role and since the matchmaking system determines that you don’t need that role anymore you won’t be able to get that role unless you get really lucky with someone who can dual role. Your options are to either tough it out if you have people in that raid capable of supplementing for that loss or kick the person who queue’d as the role you need but won’t perform it.

Y’all need to learn how to problem solve or change things up when things get tough. I pugged DM yesterday we had no tank so guess what? We had one of our healers basically act as a tank and we made it all the way to last boss. Had to change up our tactics multiple times until we settled on using 2 healers and we ended up beating it with no tank. Yeah a tank would’ve made things more comfortable, but because we decided to push through instead of complain. We beat the raid. Obviously this isn’t a all the time kind of case. Sometimes you have to resort to the kick option if you can’t get through the content without that role you need, and you’ll know exactly who queued as that role you need.
    • Like x 2
  5. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

tell me something is every tank the same? o_O fire healer use selfhealing ice do shield spam will may someone tell me why everyone think that i try to say we dont should have diffrences i just say all roles to all powers so it would be mutch easyer to find a matching raid group...well anyway..why i even try..
  6. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

What they're saying is that giving every powerset the ability to play any role would require a whole new game basically. They would have to revamp everything in every single powerset.

Now look at it as a player. Most of us have 10 to 12 artifacts on our mains. Then 3 at least on each alt. If my main had the ability to play all roles, I either wouldn't or would have to spend thousands to be as capable in other roles as I am at healing and dpsing. And all of this would be after the game had no new dlcs for probably a year at least and nothing else would be updated/ changed.
    • Like x 2
  7. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

let me ask u one thing about this u know that we got artifacts for ALL roles?
  8. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

i mean allrounder artifacts like the strat card?
  9. L T Devoted Player

Actually, that's not accurate. Ice, Fire, Earth, Celestial, Gadgets, Atomic, and Electric have essentially the same finisher with a slight re-skin in special effect (and in Electric's case, animation also). Hard Light and Nature (in gorilla form) get an AOE finisher. Rage is the only really unique finisher now, with its combo. Rage players generally don't complain about it.

Fire has a 10,000 cost supercharge (Volcanic Calamity). Bur currently most 10,000 supers are woefully under-powered. There were some changes on test a month or so ago, but they met with mixed reviews and never made it to live. As it stands Blizzard and Fireball Barrage are both very good supercharges when used wisely.

I like combo abilities also. But Ice and Fire's "special feature", if you will, is mobile channel/cast abilities. It can be extremely valuable to not be stuck in place when in a power animation. It's more than a little frustrating when your Frost Blast gets interrupted, but being able to move while casting it is really a great ability.

The Transformation, Stragegist, and Omegahedron are probably the closest thing to general purpose artifacts. Nobody uses Omegahedron. Trans and Strat are pretty common though.We could certainly use more general-purpose, multi-role artifacts.

And yeah it would be cool if we could switch to any role, but honestly having played a couple of years you'd still get a bunch of DPS-only players and asking them to tank or heal would result in them saying "no gear".
    • Like x 2
  10. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Yes but most are far from optimal. Out of my 10 or 12 artis, I don't even have a trans. No strat either. I do not have a single meta arti except solar amp and that's probably getting fed into a tac swap choice like dead kings or the new flute one. I don't think any healer, tank, or troll is going to run quislet/source shard/grim and no tank or troll is going to run orb/purple ray or page. So I'd need 3 at least to troll and another 3 to tank. $280 a piece. Or 2 to 3yrs of grinding for those roles while hoping no other artis I want to try come out.

What your asking for would actually increase kicks/ wipes. Because joe average would try to tank with no equipment or knowledge. You'd also have to buy at least 16 armories to have your sp allotted correctly and run content for months to have armor/ gear for every role. I know you're going to say to get rid of those things but that brings us back to having to revamp the game in its entirety.

I like the idea, I'm not arguing against you. Just saying why what you're asking for can never happen. And the above posters aren't wrong, it would actually make the game much more boring. To put this into perspective, make a toon and use any powerset you'd like. But only choose skills out of the iconic and movement options. That's a "baby" version of what you're asking for.
    • Like x 1
  11. Heywiar Committed Player

What they need to update is the troll role.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Considering I've seen that complaint leveled here when powers looked similar to one another (tough to forget the "Celestial is just a reskinned Sorcery!" kinds of comments when new power sets were previewed) and that in other games the "everything is the same" viewpoint prompted some changes in relatively short order (especially after the NGE in Galaxies), yeah powers feeling the same is NOT a good idea. Players like variety.

As for the rest? I dunno, maybe enjoy the journey? I'm of the school of thought that rushing through everything just increases the chances of burnout. Race around doing everything as fast as you can if you really want to, you do you. But that's kind of a "you" problem.
    • Like x 1
  13. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Op I agree with the substance of your post, but I don't think you're articulating your suggestion very well so it's opening you up to the regular forum trolls unfortunately.

+1 though.
    • Like x 1
  14. Shalayah Committed Player

Personally I think this suggestion would create more problems than you think. It does sound pretty good on paper but executed, I personally see more problems than anything else.

1. It would cost a lot more money and even a lot more time to invest into maintaining lets say 4 roles
    2. The game loses out on power token sales (Why change your power if you can do everything?)
    3. Someone said it already but you would have to basically create a whole new game which will take a pretty long time to execute.
    4. Players queueing in as all 4 roles despite only being able to do one effectively.
    5. Powers are purely cosmetic and nothing more.
    6. Lets do say every power still has different mechanics. Most players are gonna be using the power that is the most versatile. Why use Water if Electricity over-performs it in every aspect?

Ultimately letting every power do everything kills the variety in the game while also starving us a lot of content while we wait for that update to drop.
  15. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

uhm...if i pay for power tokens im to lazy to start new...no one ever says anyone HAS TOO do all roles...but the option to do that is a nice feeling.....how can que with 4 roles O.O never said that i want this i mean if i que i que as dps or what i can do not my fault that guys do stuff if they dont understand what they do

and now an funny fact some powers are allready better as other but what do u see here guys who do water healer some do magic and why bcs of the mechanics and styles otherwise we need just 1 healer power 1 tank power and 1 troll...i miss your points here i think
  16. Shalayah Committed Player

So then what’s the point in having every power do every role if you aren’t gonna perform every role ?
  17. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

like i allready say to have the option to do what u want like an nature troll or an ice healer just to have more matching stuff to our chars i mean if i think about nature trolls i think about ivy ...an ice troll makes me think about someone like mr freeze but this isnt the only reason why should someone who really fall in love with one power be forced to do another just bcs we get a useless power and role bound all powers are able to heal troll and tank if u think about it twice and i dont see were it destroy roles no i even think it helps roles get famous again i want no one to be forced to do all roles but if he is able to do it why he need 3 chars ? why not use his fav one and let him do this all with this one
  18. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

my thinking is not to destroy anything here i just want more use on every single power and i cant understand the problems sure it will take alot of work but how we cant say it isnt possible before daybreak even tought about it
  19. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Someone doesn't have to want to do every role when they choose a power. This change would let them choose Sorcery and want to play as a tank or choose Rage and want to play as a controller. It offers flexibility and options.

When the game was in closed beta there was only defence (tank) and damage. Everyone could be both. It's a very old and popular request from players in beta to remove role exclusivity from powersets so that any powerset can do any role a player might want to do and they wouldn't be locked into a role based on their power choice.
    • Like x 1
  20. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

lets say we got an red lantern league as an example they can just do dps orr tank atm so they need to hope finding healer or trolls in a raid but if we not role bounded anymore it can work this way bcs they can do all they need with the rage power and thats one of maaany options if this can work
    • Like x 1