Loot box legislation

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DC Urban, Nov 18, 2017.

1. DC Urban Committed Player

2. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

well they are correct, technically it's not a gamble since you never lose... you always get something.... even though said things is undesirable.. but i will still call it a gamble..
    • Like x 1
  3. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

I think alot of companies have pushed people as far as they can go it would be one thing if these games were really F2P but most of games are 60+ to buy or have a sub involved.
  4. Tarif Committed Player

Funny thing, you saying that, because DCUOs new ceo, Jack Emmert has brought this whirlwind of a business model through many games in the MMO communities, until, in my opinion, I seen every community seem to have had enough repsectively. He did an interview in forbes magazine on how to actually monetize free to play games more and more, without backlash from gaming communities here in the western world, which have always looked down on such business models.

Im personally against it. Thats me though, and it just might be okay for the next guy.

He has used similar business models in CoH, Champions Online, Star trek online, Neverwinter, and now has brought this magic to DCUO for an ever increasing monetization of the game. Other than the artifacts system that he introduced in the neverwinter system, this is by far the worst reward ratio to dollar Ive ever seen in any MMO game.

I understand a business wishes to be successful, and wishes to prosper financially, but the way things are set up, they are very far from fair to the game's customers. I certainly do not agree with it, or will support it in any way.

Time capsules, and similar business models the way they are set up is GAMBLING, plain and simple. They can side step this any way they like, but with the way things are set, Youd have better odds with lottery scratch off tickets right now. We are repeatedly being slapped with Horrible RNG drop rate percentages that are no where near respectful to the company's customers, and we keep seeing time capsule after time capsule with these horrible drop rate percentages, AS WELL AS in PAID FOR CONTENT now - with more and more frequency - so that you are encouraged to buy buy buy for the continued growth of your character.

Even with this so called amendment to the drop rate for the OP Collections, being nearly doubled. What did we get? Did it go from.00004% drop rate to .00008%? Sure wish we knew, because at this point, there is no transparency on drop rate percentages that I know of. All we know is that it "was almost doubled" from something that already seemed non-existent. Looks like more gambling to me.

In my opinion, this forces many to feel like they have to break out that credit card constantly, to remain competitive in game. That may be their choice ultimately, but to me, I see it as a bad business practice against the company's customers and fanbase, that are not getting what they intend on paying for as customers by any means.

Our very progression is tied to the feats tied to the items in these time capsules now. Thats pay to win. This is not why I purchase membership each month. Im seeing bad business tactics in my opinion, that doesnt leave me feeling like the company actually appreciates my business or my opinion as a customer right now.

I didnt support this game for years only to feel like they are increasingly turning it into play to win more with each month that passes, with little regard to me as a customer and what I already pay for my monthly membership. Im not interested, and rather than see regulations on loot boxes, Id rather see a company respect their customers with a fair exchange on the money someones paying out for their products. What we have here, is straight garbage to me.
    • Like x 2
  5. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

I don't mind spending money but God they have gone out of the way to kill even me wanting to keep my sub.
    • Like x 1
  6. Anothername Well-Known Player

In the end it does not matter that much if its official designation is gambling or not. Its a monetized game of chance massively and uncontrolled exposed to minors which is why it continues to get negative attention and continues to have people try to get it controlled. Since it usually run below the radar for free games it was easier to wave of; but this years entry in the full priced AAA mass appeal games does makes more people think about that than usual.
    • Like x 1