Live stream thoughts

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AquiloFury, Jul 10, 2020.

1. zChaos New Player

I’m a little confused is there an actual raid? Like going in a instance like the last dlc’s raids etc. Or is the raid the world bosses?
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

It can be used to horrifying effect.

[IMG]
    • Like x 10
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

[IMG]
    Grail, one of the villains of this episode and whom the vendor style is based on...which coincidentally has.... heels (which are not visible in the screenshots here, but were visible in the livestream).
    [IMG]
    Our new vendor style is based on the aforementioned female villain of this episode.
    • Like x 1
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Yes, there is a raid. They didn't show it, but you can check it out for yourself on the test server. Alternatively, if you don't have a PC that's capable of accessing the free test server, you can just wait for some youtube videos over the weekend, or the Dev's Playtest with the public on Monday.
    • Like x 1
  5. nawanda Loyal Player

My thoughts on live stream:

NerdofPrey’s enthusiasm shines through and carries these broadcasts.

I’ll never understand the depth of the obsession people have with style items. Spending 2, 3, 4 minutes looking at a style set is the most tedious thing ever, to me. But then I read comments on here from people threatening to quit the game over disappointment relating to cosmetics and I feel like the world is going mad and I’m one of the few sane ones left.

Thoughts on the DLC: great to see a big open world, but will it sustain endgame players enough to compensate for only one raid? I doubt it. Going down to one raid is a hairbrained experiment that will fail and never be repeated.
    • Like x 4
  6. High Troller Loyal Player

perhaps you should be suggesting "i would love to see this style and i am willing to pay $20 to get that style."

money speaks.
  7. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

There are thousands of video games out there....but there's only one with a good combat system that also lets you dress up as a Superhero and gives you a variety of options to change it all up (CO's only redeeming quality is the customization options). And what would a Superhero be without their costume/outfit??? The fact that this game has given us so many options to stylize our characters is the biggest selling point for a lot of players (but obviously not you). And as the game continues, the makers of this game continue to try and find different ways to improve upon our customization options...so that we can go out in our superhero adventures looking our best (or not...yay choice).

What's insane is someone playing a game that revolves around colorfully costumed characters, yet doesn't care about costumes/styles. Until they stop completely delivering styles to us players, it will remain a thing that matters...whether some players "understand" it or not.*

[PS] I do agree with you that it's quite overly melodramatic to make statements about quitting a game just because they can't get a particular style in the game. That's just...well, sad...for lack of a better way to describe it.
    • Like x 5
  8. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Live Stream Thoughts from a longtime (presumably returning) player — just adding to this existing thread.

wall of text warning.

I’ll preface this with; I’ve played since RadarX was the community manager of the game. I’ve seen it all. I was dedicated to the game for years until I couldn’t get behind some frustrating direction choices that took my enjoyment away, and leaving when Halls of Power2 was about to launch. I came back last year for Atlantis and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt like the game was back on track under its new direction and enjoyed most of the content I caught up with. The WonderWoman and Superman content has always been what I’m most interested in, so the Wonderverse concept specifically brought me back.

Here’s my impressions from the released info and livestream:

1) Open world bounties.

Long overdue. Open world bounties of interesting iconic characters are what made the game special at launch. They were something people were eager to do. They were still a lot of fun in Atlantis with the lobster and Reach(?) but it got repetitive without meaningful rewards and also being tied to competitive contribution.

This type of content struggles when Devs choose bounties no one cares about doing. Generic monsters aren’t fun for very long really. I’d generally like them to stop doing the generic monsters or even replace them in old episodes with relevant iconics. I’d also like to see those iconics then drop styles related to them. If I fight the Pied Piper I’d like to be able to collect individual pieces like his shoe style, or even parts of a whole set based around that character. The reward should still include whatever other rewards like currency or marks they have planned though.

2) Rewards

Beyond what I mentioned above it’s hard to say much about rewards without playing the content yet. From what was discussed in the Live Stream, it all sounds encouraging. A system that rewards based on contribution more sounds very welcome.

And not gate-ing the rewards behind loot lockouts also is way overdue. I do really think a big part of what drives players away from the game rather than retains them is the weekly lockout system. It literally means players logon to do their reset content on fridays and then not login again at all until next reset. Removing lockouts or making them rolling individual lockouts would go a long way to giving people the ability to play anytime they’re free without forcing a schedule on them and restoring a stable population on times between the current reset days.

3) Augments & artifacts

Don’t really find this too interesting but that’s probably because I haven’t been playing much recently and it probably means more to those who have been here. I will say that the entire process of levelling up augments and artifacts is really convoluted and confusing. I like the feature a lot actually, but it’s become an exercise in micromanaging your inventories and materials to feed vs when you get bonuses which is really cumbersome to more casual players and becomes a barrier to participate and that's never good. With new artifacts coming out all the time, the avg player is overwhelmed at the idea of constantly having to level a new one every time one gets added. I’ve heard here that you can use your existing ones to feed new ones, but this isn’t communicated anywhere in game that I’ve noticed so it’s relying on word of mouth in a typically hostile community to learn about.

It’s also worth noting, that this was a missed opportunity to do an Amazon Bracer artifact. I would have liked to see “Feminum Bracelets” (Wonder Woman '74 reference) similar to the Manacles of Force but with Wonder Woman / Amazon themed VFX and procs. It would have been nice to tie it into Amazonian Deflection the same way the Lasso ties into Mesmerizing Lasso. Maybe it could proc a Bullets and Bracelets animation and VFX deflecting all damage from the next 10 ranged attacks or something at a certain level? It’s not too late. Please consider adding something like this since we don’t know when more WW content will come.

BTW I added this feedback to the Lasso Of Truth Dev discussion but it was moderated out. I want to point out that was unnecessary (it was not in violation of any posting standards) and the very top of the thread explains the feedback is open to both testing and “general feedback” so the curation was a bit over aggressive. Over moderation like this is not good community relations and leaves your players feeling frustrated their input is being ignored and discourages participation you're requesting.

4) Open world

Really love this. Like Mepps said, the community has long requested the Island to be its own self contained open world. I really like the move to make locations like this the "homebase" for the relevant franchise’s content. That’s been happening for a while but it’s usually more like a simple hub rather than a content open world. I like this taking it in a direction that almost allows a player to play Wonder Woman Online, or if in the Green Lantern or Flash open worlds you could play as if they had their own self contained worlds/games. I really like that idea and it feels like the game could go in that direction with this. Of course it might be different when played though so I guess we’ll see.

I also agree with Mermaid, that Atlantis would be a natural fit for this same type of treatment. It’s already pretty close to this same idea and could easily be tuned to it if this is well executed and popular. It would be very cool if you could spend your day in Atlantis only doing Aquaman related content if that's what you wanted.

Side note, Aphrodite’s temple would really make for a great Lair interior. No pressure. :)

Really like the potential for emergent gameplay also. I think with the emphasis on loot locked and gated progression and instancing really isolated the game for a lot of players and hurt that MMO open collective atmosphere SJ was so passionately discussing in the live stream. This looks promising.

5) Styles.

It is great to see the sock underwear taken off the Polemarch sets. And the new detail is very nice too. A lot of those sets were really really well liked at the time but were disregarded by players because of the underwear stuff. I remember complaining about it back then. This will probably make them more useful for a lot of character concepts.

The Grail style is beautiful and exceptionally well done period. But honestly, it’s not what I was hoping to see before seeing a really nice Wonder Woman centric set executed. I’m a bit disappointed that there isn’t more non-Gladiator-style Wonder Woman centric styles added. Maybe one piece iconic styles for the bracers etc could be added via collection, briefing, TC etc though. Click here for specific style suggestions!

And this does lessen my excitement for the episode — Similarly I was really excited about the Captain Marvel set being announced at the time, but was so totally disappointed by the set when I saw the live stream, that I let my membership lapse again. And here we are now.

I think this Episode / DLC has the potential to be one of the best, IF a few adjustments are made to do a bit of extra work to check off a few more player expectations. Add a new Bracers artifact as mentioned above please? The TC style has to be thematically what fans are looking for and it has to be something fans will want to wear, the collections and briefing rewards have the chance to fill in some holes and provide some long standing requested items too, and some variant style items suggested above would deliver what most fans are hoping for from this one with only a little extra work.

The content shown is top quality. It’s beautiful to come back to the game and see how far character art and environments have come specifically. Everything looks really well done. Thanks to everyone for putting in their enthusiasm and time for this one.
    • Like x 3
  9. AquiloFury Committed Player

I have to admit..I was unimpressed with the male chest style for Grail..it reminds me of the bloodbat style honestly.
    • Like x 1
  10. Aesthete Well-Known Player

Keywords "a few" (considering it's a female dominated DLC at that). It probably flew over your head, and that's okay. :)

Perhaps more outfit styles will be released afterwards as new items are added to the vendor.
  11. Eve YouTuber

Yes 1 raid.
  12. Caroline Dedicated Player

Lmao, oh God
  13. Gmoney Active Player

50 plus artifacts, with only 3 slots!! Come on Dev’s add a 4th or 5th slot by now!! Please
  14. nawanda Loyal Player

It would be questionable if that was what I had said, but insane is stretching things.

I care in so far as I would rather my characters looked cool than lame, but I’m a grown man who isn’t in to dressing up virtual dolls.

Also - and here’s the crux of it for me - Superman and Batman have looked 70-80% the same since they were conceived. My characters have an identity insofar as a lot of people know what they look like, because all I ever tweak is auras, materials and accessories, and even then, within existing colours. I appreciate not everyone is like me or takes that approach. But your narrative about me being the odd case is a bit of a stretch.

I am here to play a game.
  15. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

This looks like it will be my favorite episode since Amazon Fury 2.

I would have liked for a duo to be included, since we're going down to one raid, however, I am quite excited to see how this is offset by the never ending world boss fights.

I also want to encourage people to keep an open mind, they may not get the execution down exactly right the first time. This is the innovation we've been wanting, though. I'm very happy to seem them pushing new directions and opening up new design space by mixing old ideas with the existing content structure.

Also, I love that Grail style, OMG <3 <3 <3
    • Like x 2
  16. Isif Committed Player

Just waiting for that 150 cost Grail hairstyle.;) Please. Please.
    • Like x 2
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Let's not get into the "grown" thing here...after all we're on the internet discussing stuff about video games (no offense meant). And yeah, despite your belief you are the odd case...that's not to say there aren't many like you...just that you'd be in the minority (as you can attest to by the threads and posts that seem to baffle you).

While plenty of players are satisfied with their primary look, the rest of us truly enjoy the variety of changing our appearances. For every Batman, Superman, Spider-man with an iconic look that hardly changes for years on end, there's your Wasp, X-Men, Iron Man who change their looks much more often. Changing our looks often keeps the game somewhat fresh for some of us. And as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

My own toon even has an in-game explanation for the various looks that change: Multiversal shifting. Alternate versions of me keep shifting in and out of this and other realities, and we're all sharing the same mind (which also explains why we run the same missions over and over...alternate realities).

At the end of the day you're one of the lucky ones that likes what you've put together and don't really care for too many changes in your appearance beyond a few tweaks. The rest of us enjoy running content and looking extra cool while doing it, and the more options to do that, the better.
    • Like x 5
  18. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

iiiii liked the fact that they didn’t give a ww style. They probably did because people like me would have got on here and complained, the ww cosplay people didn’t win this battle and i was almost positive they would!

Also, this might be on of the first times since base game probably that male and females gear didn’t look the same, which is awesome because have you ever seen now weird a male looks in the mera set, or even how disproportionate the male crossbow glove is on a male vs how great it looks on a female.
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The upcoming Time Capsule is a WW style.
    • Like x 1
  20. theAverageGuy Well-Known Player

Are there any solos, duos or alerts?