Lightning Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Max Volt, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Kewleo Level 30

How competitive can electric be? I like the healing side of it but my dps often lags. I think I tried to emphasize power back and I just don't have any burst. Current loadout:

Electrogen - Wired - Arc Lightning - Electrocute - Voltaic Bolt - Circuit Breaker Weapon is HBs

I clip EG with Wired, then go AL, EC, and VB. I then scissor kick clipping with VB until EG is off cool down, then reapply. I see others mention I should have shockwave in here. Mainly interested in a raid loadout, what would you suggest? Should I also be doing solar flame instead of scissor kick?
    • Like x 1
  2. Black Jaq Devoted Player

honestly, I don't think CB is worth anything in raids. It is great for solo play but of course most people have it because they are going down the center of Amperage for Electrocute. It only buffs your weapon attacks and if you have to block or pick someone up, it's wasted.

I don't use SW at all. I don't need another burst on my loadout. Consider experimenting with different loadouts. I don't DPS enough in raids with my Electric took to fully say there is a magic loadout. What I am currently experimenting with is two Armories, one for solo target fights (2nd boss BP, possible HH) and it is what I use for CZ because it is also power efficient.

My other Armory is what I feel might yield the best damage in the first and last bosses of BP and most of NGN. It is E-gen, Wired, AL, VB, Tesla Ball and RS/Megavolt.

I have thought about E-burst clipped with Wired, AL, VB and Tball could be better for adds due to smaller cooldowns. But there is no guarantee you are going to get that entire rotation off either.
    • Like x 2
  3. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

No question, you need shockwave. I haven't done the testing recently, but I believe you will get a 20% damage increase over clipping with VB only. So same loadout as you currently have, just replace CB with SW.

I haven't had time to test SK vs SF, but I'm planning to do that next week. You can get 5 SF clips between electrocute cooldowns with shockwave. I used to do 3 SK clips between electrocutes, but I haven't tried it recently to see if you can squeeze in 4. You should just practice to see which one you can clip better. In my old testing 3 SKs equaled damage of 4 SFs. I haven't tried post gu51, but in the notes it says SK got a damage boost. I'll post my results after testing.

I forgot to answer your question. Electric can only do range damage in raids, mid-range powers can do melee damage. Look at the charts in Sore's Tunso testing thread. The best you can do is 25-30% below mid-range powers. In my most recent BS runs I had 8 mil to the mid-range dps's 11 mil.
  4. Kewleo Level 30

Very helpful thanks! I'm not very fluid with SK so I may go SF for awhile on the clipping.
    • Like x 1
  5. Pults Loyal Player

Messed with the CCs of electricity (in pvp), end results - it's not so great. Arc lightning is the only power that has a chance to stun on every cast. Attract - polarizes the target roughly 3/10 times, static push - knockback is done 4/10, tesla ball - unpredictable sometimes it doesn't even deal damage, doesn't apply the pi or any effect on target at all same with repulse.
    And regarding damage, DoTs are weak, 1st level ranges from 87-300 ticks, 2nd level from 250-550, 3rd level can get to 800 but rarely. So using DoTs in pvp is a waste of power.
    So far the only two powers that are viable are arc lightning - great stunner, burst heal in any stance, bb. Same can be said about Voltaic bolt - can crit up to 7k on blocks.

Stuns and all other juggling effects should be overlooked, compared to hard lights capabilities to juggle targets electricity's capabilities are miniscure, also needs more burst damage since DoTs are too weak for their power costs.
  6. Absolix Loyal Player

Against players CC effects will apply 100% of the time as long as they do not have CC immunity and CC resistance doesn't trigger. Players have innates that can grant them a chance to resist CC effects, like the innates from the movement trees and unlocking WM for their equipped weapons. In addition to that, after a player breaks out of CC effect they receive immunity to CC effects for a short time.

Tesla Ball does not apply a PI, it deals more damage to Electrified enemies.

DoTs in PvP are nerfed to 5 sec, which since Electricity's DoTs are 12 sec means they only deal about 41.67% their normal damage.
  7. Pults Loyal Player

DoTs deal even less damage than the 41.67% you mentioned. Compared to pve I did maybe 5k in total with arc lightning, eburst, electro Genesis, voltaic bolt. And most of it came from AC and VB burst.
    As I mentioned sometimes damage and the pi do not register.
  8. Absolix Loyal Player

Remember in PvE you have Generator mods and league hall proficiencies that are disabled. Also remember to make sure you aren't comparing numbers in PvE gear to numbers in arenas as PvE gear is disabled.
  9. Pults Loyal Player

DoTs in general were reduced in damage since it was concidered to be safe damage but the deal is I think it was too much.
  10. Absolix Loyal Player

Yes, I know. They were reduced to 5 seconds like I said.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/game-update-41.223460/#post-2864103
    Season 3
    o Passive Effects in PvP:
     Please note these changes only affect player versus player combat.
     Non-field DoT damage durations longer than five seconds have been reduced to five seconds when used against players.
     Location based area effect damage over time effects such as fields and auras have had their damage reduced and normalized as if they were five seconds in duration when used against players.
     Passive damage effects such as damage reflection and automatic damage from weapon buffs have also been normalized in the same manner when used against players.
     Affected abilities are listed below:
    • Electricity
    o Electrocute, Flux, Overcharge, Electroburst, Electrogenesis, Voltaic Bolt
  11. Pults Loyal Player

No I know the time was reduced and damage.
    But with electricity it is done wrong. Electrocute is the only location based DoT, eburst and egen are non-field but their damage is massivly reduced. The patch notes state that damage was reduced to Location based DoTs and not the non-field ones.
  12. Red Jenni Loyal Player

So electric dps has to be mid or close range? What dps load out do you use? Mine seems to stink.
  13. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

The point I was making is there is no viable electric mid-range. Other power sets can do melee level damage in mid-range. The damage in the tunso testing charts for electric melee includes high damage melee weapon attacks. Remove that damage, and you are basically stuck with range. For electric you can stay at max range, but your damage will always be 25-30% lower than the current top powers. Maybe even worse after those powers continue to receive buffs inside of 12.5m, and electric has nothing.

For my 3 most recent bombshell runs I have been around 25% below the top dps at similar CR. I'm usually only above other powersets if they are at or below the suggested CR (assuming they know what they are doing). With 5 dps runs you usually get 1 carry. With no wipes, or 1 wipe at the 2nd boss, I have been around 7-9 million and the top dps around 10-12 million before the last boss fight starts. I can't remember for sure, but I think that is what it has been. I actually use different loadouts for the adds and bosses now. I know bombshell is a terrible raid for DoT powers, because the adds all die so quickly. Only the last boss fight goes on long enough for DoTs to make some contribution. NGN and Throne done at suggested CRs probably give DoT powers a chance to do better. Lots of adds and higher health pools are good for DoT powers.
    • Like x 2
  14. Black Jaq Devoted Player

IMO - Electricity is the best heal for Desecrated Cathedral.
    • Like x 2
  15. BlueLionSven Well-Known Player

I've always liked electric healing in alerts.

I did notice the solo was pretty easy with an electric dps.

I also noticed notagain threw in the towel and went sorcery. I'm going to hold out for water, but doubt I dps current content with electric.
  16. not_again Dedicated Player

With electricity being last on the current to do list for the devs I had to switch. I was hoping for a change before the next SM came around but that is not going to happen. I still have hope and will switch back once this round of SM is over, but I am too much of a burden for the team as electricity.
  17. DaveFelterbush Active Player

I just repentantly went back to electric, and I'm finding my old electric healing load out for PVP is straight trash, any hints or ideas to improve my performance in PVP with electric healing?
  18. Absolix Loyal Player

Electroburst on Electrified enemies is your most power efficient healing.

To set up Electrified you have Arc Lightning or Wired. Wired has a much lower power cost, but it only has a guaranteed chance to apply Electrified on the first weapon attack of anyone who gets the buff, and it has a cooldown. If you can coordinate with group members to target different enemies it can still work pretty well. Arc Lightning is a bit of a gamble as whether it hits how many enemies or heals how many allies is random to an extent, but it does guarantee at least some Electrified enemies.

Other than that set up Bio-Charges with Bio-Capacitor on your group whenever you are out of combat as it has to high a powercost to use during combat. As long as the Bio-Charges are up you can use Bioelectric Surge for some pretty power efficient healing that can also be used to clip other powers.

The only remaining heal that really has any usefulness is Galvanize when there are lots of allys like in bigger match sizes when group members have pets.

Keep in mind that there is insane damage from particular weapon combos, including some that can one shot, so don't be surprised if there are some things that you simply can't heal through.
  19. Max Volt Committed Player

Sorry guys... i've been away from the boards for a while since I'm still fairly disgusted with Lightning DPS.

I completely agree with you, our lack of any high numbers burst damage doesn't allow us to keep up with other powersets. As always we shine on the DOT side, unfortunately the only time our DoTs are producing any number is during boss fights...with adds, all the other times I don't even get half a way trough my AM rotation and everything is already dead.
    I tried a WM only loadout...and still the numbers from Shockwave or Static Push are still not strong enough to keep up with other powers.
    • Like x 2
  20. Black Jaq Devoted Player

A small buff could happen if they figure out what to do with weapons. I think they need to figure that out considering so many players still incorporate weapon attacks with AMs.