Lets Talk Dps Balance

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CrappyHeals, Aug 3, 2017.

1. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I've been seeing a lot of this power sucks and this power might be to good or only these powers are good stuff so i just wanna take a few minutes and lay some things out from my pov having played everything on test.

So the first topic that i see a lot is Hybrid vs Pftt. People say hybrid stinks, not true some powers play very well with weapons and some don't, some play better might based in hybrid/supercharged and some play better in Weapons Expert with a full precision build. Its uo to you to figure out what spec fits your power best. Another thing that will dictate how good your results are with hybrid is your skill points, obviously the more you have the better you will do cause you can spec more points into the other stat after you max out your main stat.

Next thing is where people are comparing powers. Most groups run JFA and you don't see the big picture only running one raid thats extremely easy and where you can melee everything. Some powers are obviously better then others melee and thats what most people are clinging to right now and saying these are the only good powers. If you turn the tables and run something more difficult like US with all the bosses up where you have to play more range you will see different powers taking the lead.

Some powers are better in other areas then others and just cause something is great in JFA doesn't mean its going to do that well in something else. For example everyone is flocking to electric and while its good for JFA its not that hot in US with all the bosses up compared to some powers that people haven't even given a chance yet, also while its good on adds its not to good on single target. Same with earth, if the guy can jackhammer hes golden but if he has to range he's not gonna do to well.

Most powers seem to have a situational place where they shine and i think thats pretty cool, Power A might be great on adds and beat power B in that situation but then power A isn't to hot on the boss and thats where power B shines. Same thing with range vs mid-range and melee.

People haven't even figured out the best specs for everything yet or even tried everything cause they are to busy jumping to whatever someone says is good instead of trying to figure out how to make another power good.

Anyway its super early and i think its kinda silly for people to have made such solid judgements on whats the best and whats not especially judging stuff in jfa mostly. Run USe or US reg with all the bosses up and you'll def see a shift in powers. Also wait till new content comes out, elite stuff, situations where you have to range or SM those things will change the meta of what powers people think are top powers. Give it some time the revamp hasn't even been out a month yet and people still have a lot to figure out.
    • Like x 47
  2. Charmed Legacy Dedicated Player

Well said Crappy!
    • Like x 3
  3. spack2k Steadfast Player

yeah however earth is like many times mentioned on test thread overperforming on midrange which is just overkill cause u can do it even in harder raids for almost no risk like USe.
  4. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

Jackhammer is getting adjusted so it won't be as good as it is now but still a great power in midrange. And earth isn't as good as people thought it was even with JH spam
    • Like x 1
  5. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

Thats what people aren't thinking about, it came out what the 26th? its now the 3rd, its been a big ol' 8 days and people expect everyone to have their powers figured out by now. Sure if it was AMs and how those worked I could see, but with this style theres alot of freedom and endless loadout possibilities and Im sure alot of people are still trying to find that sweet spot.

Sure there may be a few that have found the golden goose already but not everyone has, and thats what makes it look like theres a un-balance to the 3 play styles atm.
  6. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

Last I checked there was melee & long ranged. Mid ranged got tossed out of the window.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/development-update-the-stats-revamp.279504/

Hello! My name is Michael Mann, or Avair if you prefer, Lead Systems Designer for DC Universe Online, and I am excited to share with you today news about the upcoming stats revamp. The whole team here is beyond thrilled to finally be bringing you these core changes. In short, we will be:
    • Revamping Stats
    • Removing Advanced Mechanics and Weapon Mastery Bonuses
    • Enhancing Supercharges
    • Modifying Power and Power Regeneration
    • Removing Power Points
    • Ending Midrange
    • Preparing For The Future

This is a quote........from the link above.

There is not a mid range.
  7. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Like nature or melee rage or one of electric powers not splitting correctly, I could go on.

It's not to early for hot fixes, sorry. There are multiple issues with multiple powers currently that need addressed. Mental and sorcery, I believe, are the only power that have moves with a built in ability to miss and get ZERO damage. Mentals terror tendrils and sorcery has 3 powers. This is not ok. You lose damage with no way of controlling the outcome. The damage isn't a risk reward, you know if it's gonna hit for zero it better hit like a mack truck when it's on. Bad Karma doesn't seem to stat out as long as fires PI. The super charge generators being different with every power gives advantages to some, like earth being able to use theirs as a clip. Super charge as a whole are not worth it for dpsing, out side of neo venom. This needs scaled back, like a lot of the iconic powers. Heat vision is a good example.

I understand it's only been a week, but there are plenty of imbalances across the board that should have been addressed before it hit live.
    • Like x 3
  8. Schimaera Devoted Player

Agreed, there's at least one stronger melee power but that isn't just pushing one button to beat up the very ground. And we know how people react if they have the choice between "easy and powerful" and "medium to difficult with a lightly higher damage output" ^^
  9. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

There is no mid range... You should know better than that.
    Last I checked there was melee & long ranged. Mid ranged got tossed out of the window.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/development-update-the-stats-revamp.279504/

Hello! My name is Michael Mann, or Avair if you prefer, Lead Systems Designer for DC Universe Online, and I am excited to share with you today news about the upcoming stats revamp. The whole team here is beyond thrilled to finally be bringing you these core changes. In short, we will be:

• Revamping Stats
    • Removing Advanced Mechanics and Weapon Mastery Bonuses
    • Enhancing Supercharges
    • Modifying Power and Power Regeneration
    • Removing Power Points
    • Ending Midrange
    • Preparing For The Future

This is a quote........from the link above.

There is not a mid range.
    • Like x 1
  10. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

ENDING MIDRANGE

Individual abilities doing variable amounts of damage depending on what range the player was at (less at max range, more at midrange, most at melee range) was entirely implemented with the bonus damage from advanced mechanics. When this bonus damage is removed, so too is this concept. This effectively ends the midrange balance pass. The player's position will no longer change how much damage an ability does, and all abilities will do their full damage from any distance (as long as you are in range to use them in the first place).

This has a few consequences for the game's overall balance. We have been standardizing base ability damage and ability length in previous updates, so the removal of advanced mechanics' bonus damage alone will leave us with a more balanced game. That said, some of you may be concerned with how your power will stand up, maybe especially so if you use melee or damage over time abilities. We recognize this concern is valid. So, we will continue the standardization effort, working to more consistently define abilities as melee (up to 7m) or range (greater than 7m), and adjusting damage to suit. In short, range abilities will do less damage than melee abilities from the safety of distance, and melee abilities will do more damage than range in the risky death-zone right up close with the boss.

As a side benefit, the greater consistency and simplicity applied here will make it easier for us to refine damage on specific abilities in the future. On that note, we will be addressing balance goals in a new way. Previously, balance was generally established based on players of equal skill doing about the same damage in uninterrupted play and potential at a sparring target. Going forward, balance will be established based on players of equal skill doing about the same amount of total damage over the course of a boss fight.
    • Like x 1
  11. UnleashedBrevard Committed Player

everyone wants to talk about earth and jackhammer and most don't even play it but act like we can just sit and spam the power LoL no we can spam it for 12 seconds then must use other powers to redo the damage for another 12 seconds as we have a high rate of being knocked out of it and have to restart the attempt and rotation all over again. so yeah let's complain about earth dps being so called op and no give a care in the world that ATOMIC can still solo a boss in tank roll hitting like a dps and not one person complains cause oh dang this tank just clutched this raid and beat it.
    • Like x 5
  12. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Someone's not getting the Memo here lol.

They are ending the Mid-range Damage Buff, they didn't say they were taking away Mid-range DPsing entirely lol.

Powers that were Mid-range, aren't 100% melee; it's just not 7 meters anymore.

Most of the Mid-range Abilities previously, can be still safely casted; but it can't be done within the 7M range anymore.
    If they did take away Mid-range entirely, powersets like Fire, Ice, and Munitions would be in trouble.

So instead of saying something like Jackhammer is mid-range, I'd say it's maybe mid-melee?
    • Like x 5
  13. spack2k Steadfast Player

yeah well it seems u can spam jackhammer at midrange so i guess there is still a midrange even its not the same midrange avair was referring to.

now for me the dmg numbers would be ok if it would have a melee range like rage but then again it wouldnt be usefull for earth tanking unless the range would adjust accordingly with role.
    • Like x 2
  14. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

We can talk about Elec & Nature being OP if you want. LOL.

The deal is we have too many people complaining or talking about things that they are clueless about. They see someone out DPS them when they have sub par execution and they think OMG they are OP when in all actuality they are the ones that not even up to par. Nothing's ever perfect but too many people like tossing in their two cents when they are flat broke.
    • Like x 2
  15. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

or atomic, noticed you failed to mention that ;)

but as I said there isn't un-balanced powers its been a week and everyone here on the forums expect people to have figured everything out already lol

hell I have a friend thats rage 201cr / 269sp thats still tinkering with his loadout as its not performing to his liking. Then theres others I see in LFG that have asked for loadouts for the power they play. So people just need time to get it all sorted out.

theres a video of iconic powers loadout on Youtube guy said he used that loadout and out DPS'd a guy in 1 of the alerts by like 100k or something didnt say SP' of his or the other guy or CR, but that just goes to show you any loadout is viable in the right hands currently.
    • Like x 1
  16. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Yeah but I thought the whole idea of this update was that we could use more or less whatever we want and our stats would be the deciding factor?
    • Like x 1
  17. Mazahs Loyal Player

While I don't disagree that certain powers perform better in certain situations. At NO POINT should SM or Elite versions of anything have ANY bearing on this discussion. While some of us run Elite and SM it was specifically designated for the very few. The revamp is for the masses and should be approached as such.
    • Like x 4
  18. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Thanks for talking some sense. It's getting ridiculous what people think is OP or trash after a week of trying like two different loadouts...
    • Like x 4
  19. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

and thats the problem atm, people would rather have other powers nerfed instead of getting better at their own powers lol
    • Like x 5
  20. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

I understand it just fine. What you could do is get better at reading comprehension.

ENDING MIDRANGE

Individual abilities doing variable amounts of damage depending on what range the player was at (less at max range, more at midrange, most at melee range) was entirely implemented with the bonus damage from advanced mechanics. When this bonus damage is removed, so too is this concept. This effectively ends the midrange balance pass. The player's position will no longer change how much damage an ability does, and all abilities will do their full damage from any distance (as long as you are in range to use them in the first place).

This has a few consequences for the game's overall balance. We have been standardizing base ability damage and ability length in previous updates, so the removal of advanced mechanics' bonus damage alone will leave us with a more balanced game. That said, some of you may be concerned with how your power will stand up, maybe especially so if you use melee or damage over time abilities. We recognize this concern is valid. So, we will continue the standardization effort, working to more consistently define abilities as melee (up to 7m) or range (greater than 7m), and adjusting damage to suit. In short, range abilities will do less damage than melee abilities from the safety of distance, and melee abilities will do more damage than range in the risky death-zone right up close with the boss.

As a side benefit, the greater consistency and simplicity applied here will make it easier for us to refine damage on specific abilities in the future. On that note, we will be addressing balance goals in a new way. Previously, balance was generally established based on players of equal skill doing about the same damage in uninterrupted play and potential at a sparring target. Going forward, balance will be established based on players of equal skill doing about the same amount of total damage over the course of a boss fight.

Next time you need help just ask.;)
    • Like x 3