Let's discuss turning broker into an auction house.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Caesar's Lion Dedicated Player

Oh, I definitely appreciate the intention behind it. & maybe I shouldn't be so cynical, as the forums, & obviously you're included in that have elicited positive change before (God knows where TC's might be). I just don't really see it as something they'd want to change even if the resources to make the change were available.
  2. Proxystar #Perception

I guess its important to have clear paths and ideas that's why discussion threads like this are good.

They're not intended to create animosity, they're just to throw ideas around that's how progress is made :)
    • Like x 1
  3. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Simple solution to fixing it all...give all in game currency to me;)...….joking a side, well devs could fix rng, that would help. Maybe have a rare vendor could also help counter balance.
  4. Plowed In Loyal Player

I’m fully behind adding a buyers side to the broker/turning it into more of an auction house. Anything that gives the buyers some sense of influence will decrease the upward pressure on prices. Knowing what other people are willing to pay will lead to a “fairer” market.
    • Like x 1
  5. SuperBell Loyal Player

Don't you know? The true path to "fairness" and "balance" is for everybody to be equally poor and unhappy, comrade.
    • Like x 2
  6. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

If only I could go run around the block (an instance) and pick up several thousand dollars... Seriously?
  7. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

This idea, I like it.

[IMG]
  8. Mazahs Loyal Player

Ding ding ding
    The devs created the problem, at very minimum compounded the problem with stupid RNG in these.
    If the avg person could spend $20 on a chance of RNGeesus blessing them or $20 and know they now have the in game cash to buy what they want...What do you think they'd do?
  9. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The devs would have to put caps on trading as well. The only way that the devs can get a handle on this whole situation (mess) is to set limitations on all in game trades and the broker. You cannot give people a loophole or they will use it. That's a fact.

The only way that free markets are kept from getting out of control are with limitations, rules and guidelines that are set in place and followed. Then you have to police what is going on within the game and uphold the existing rules which DCUO does neither.
    Without rules & regulations that are upheld we all end up with a society of lawlessness. The first thing DCUO needs to do to get the broker under control is start taking the initiative. As it stands right now. DCUO does not see anything and does not do anything unless a support ticket is filed.
    The biggest issue is that DCUO either refuses to do something about these people that break the existing rules that are already set into place or DCUO half azz's it. DCUO has proven that they will not police or uphold existing rules within the game.
    Until that happens then nothing will change.

Here are a few examples of players running amok without fear of repercussion.

The money exploit where everyone was allowed to keep 100k and or keep what all money in mail or on alts.
    The TC exploits where players were slapped on the wrist.
    Gold bots that are allowed to use loopholes to keep spamming buying & selling gold tells.
    Players spamming trade chat selling PSN cards.
    Gold bots not being deleted or removed from the game unless they are reported by active players. This is something that devs should be doing but they do not.

If a gold bot is not reported that gold bot will be in the same spot spamming for weeks on end. The same goes for players selling PSN cards in trade chat.
  10. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Either that or make it such a small amount that huge transactions would be easy to see and would be too time consuming to be worth it.
    • Like x 1
  11. Knarlydude Loyal Player

When DCUO opens up the broker to more players and stops open advertising of goldbots & selling PSN cards then the broker will start to come down. Until these things happens nothing is changing. There also has to be resets to remove old exploited cash, cash earned from exploited TC's and cash bought from gold web sites.

Even with an auction house things will get just as ugly there.

Diablo III's failed auction house is a prime example of markets and auction houses going out of control.
  12. Proxystar #Perception

That's why instead of encouraging "don't do this" I'm trying to encourage discussion.

What restrictions would you put on an auction house? how would you like it to best operate?

If not an auction house, what tweaks would you put in the broker to improve it? How would you fix in game inflation.

You say open up the broker to more players? What players? Are we talking premium players? Are you going down the route of trying to say eliminate the cash cap? I've discussed before that's a double edged sword, you can't increase supply without equally increasing demand. I'm interested in how you actually perceive such as move as going?
  13. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The only way any auction house will do well within the game is to make it open to more players and have limitations set into place that cannot be bypassed via loopholes like trading or mailing 10,000,000 to 100,000,000.

But before anything like an auction house is looked at. DCUO needs to address the other things that are causing the exorbitant prices (oops):D in the first place.

As the old saying goes. You cannot place the cart before the horse.

That's exactly why I have been making the comments that I have been making. You cannot fix a problem unless you fix what is causing the problem first.

Like fixing a house with foundation problems. You don't fix everything above the foundation first. You have to address what is causing the foundation to fail first and fix it. Then go from there.
  14. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Don't get me wrong I think DCUO could use the broker and an auction house. I like the ideas of them both but........ dumping the existing broker for an auction house would fail miserably and be just like the broker pricing wise.

15. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

I don't know how to fix it but the current state of 'playing the broker' is:

- Put a fixed (over)-priced item on the broker for something rare-ish
    - Buy everything that is going below this price within a certain margin %
    - Put it back up for 'your price' until someone buys it
    - Rinse and repeat
    - Profit

Anyone can do this if they have the in-game $$$ but that is the main problem here, most people don't. Your idea would help fix the economy a bit at least.
  16. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Also, I think having both would work for the best because the auction house would be for players that can wait to get something and the broker would be for other players that have to have it now. More options and more participants usually always helps bring pricing down.

Like the old brokers that were divided. Before merging we all had a different broker. The PC servers brokers were always cheaper and then the PC villains was the cheapest. The PS kids were the ones with the money exploits and were able to shift all their money around in order to keep it. Then after merge of PC & PS the pricing in the broker went through the roof and has been going higher ever since.

The only way DCUO can really start trying to fix the over priceing issue is to remove any in game currency that was exploited in any way and the only way to do that is to remove all in game currency and start over.
  17. Mazahs Loyal Player

Food for thought..
    And while I'm not a conspiracy theorist this has been brought up a few other times on these forums.
    What ...just what if DCUO is actually profiting of one or several of the gold sites?

It's not that crazy to believe once you look at the whole picture
  18. Knarlydude Loyal Player

That comment highlighted in orange. That is exactly why I mentioned it.

That's not a conspiracy. :D DCUO does indirectly benefit from the gold sellers and there is no denying that. Like a business that launders money. It's easy to follow the money trail.

What DCUO fails to realize is that they could be collecting all the cash. Like criminals that steel copper out of homes. They think they are being smooth.

They spend time steeling the copper and then sell it to a dishonest middle man when they could spend a little more time.
    get a job
    do a little work
    Then legitimately buy the copper and the sell directly to the customer for a higher price.
    Then........................... collecting all the cash without a middle man.
  19. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

As much as I hate the gold spammers, they have been trying to put things into the game to get rid of them (and successfully initially, some tips for them in my signature to make it more effective). Most messages from the gold spammers require an enigma machine to decipher what they are trying to say nowadays but yes, they are still there. If they didn't care or if they had some financial benefit then I'm sure that they would have taken zero action so pretty sure that they hate them just as much as you and I.
  20. ALB Dedicated Player

Any new broker system will be better than this current reverse price is right system. "Hmm, lowest price is 1000. I will put mines in for 999". I hate dcuo broker