Lets discuss battle roles

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Sage-Rapha, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Hey guys I just want to address role damage potential.

In the early iterations of the stat revamp, Battle roles were actually a thing and were pretty solid.
    This is not really the case now and I won't let you sleep until this is actually addressed.

The main thing is that our abilities do very dismal damage.
    This is due to skill point specs requiring so much in the support stats and having such little damage stats available afterwards.
    We need 500+ skill points to do it well and without fail.. which is currently, not really possible with certain powerset.
    Celestial, Rage, Fire, Electricity, Sorcery, Atomic,
    Now of course this is how we spec to do a battle role:

Support crits: 60 skill points
    Damage crits: 60 skill points
    Restoration, Precision, Might, Health, etc: 175.
    Modding: split mods with might or precision QED whatever support stat fits that main role.

We do not swap role gear for dps gear all the time.
    I'm legit upset we can't battle aupport in a decent fashion because not only are we gated behind those absurd requirements, we also get no PI damage bonus and we aren't hitting hard enough to justify even doing spec for this.
    Like let's say I have 13k might in healer role and my power hits like 6k. And no it doesn't receive a damage bonus due to no PI damage increase.. -_-
    And don't get me started on PvP because you definitely won't get sleep there :D

I'm sure other people will chime in here.
    I'm used to do doing 8-10 MIL damage in healer role on live.
    Roles can't do that with a good dps in the group.
    Adds aren't dying so fast now so... there's no excuse y'all.

Chop chop. Get to it :p
    • Like x 1
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

If they would just remove the stupid guideline that lowers damage of powers in support role, battle roles would actually be more easily doable.
    • Like x 3
  3. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

^^^
    But I still want that PI damage lol. At least a 5 percent bonus.
  4. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Which is silly that it even exists because the original point they tried to do was enforce 2-2-2-2 and since they've strayed a way from that battle roles have gotten weaker.

However Sage, I'm not sure we will be able to get them to change anything at this point, I'm pretty sure they are happy with the direction their going and don't want to stray too far from the path they currently on.

And yes folks I would really love to be wrong about that.
    • Like x 2
  5. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

It's silly because abilities already do less damage by default because support roles have a lot less might then dps do, and (unless you have a million sp) aren't specced into crit attack. Adding on an additional penalty is just an overkill. Not really called for.
    • Like x 5
  6. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is a really great idea. It's not like they have to worry about the tank or healer actually outdpsing someone. Now, I understand if they enforced the damage penalty in support role for pvp situations, but I don't see why it's needed in pve. You still need certain minimums (like dom for instance) to function in your gear, so it's not like someone's going to go straight up dps gear and just play in support role (well, I mean there will be stupid people who will, but it doesn't make any sense, lol).
  7. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

It also again (and I feel like I'm repeating myself, but that's been happening alot with this stats revamp) flies in the face of what they originally intended to do with the revamp.

Support roles haven't had damage penalties in over two years (if not longer, honestly can't remember when it went away) and now we get to go back to them (and this time their is no mod that allows us to circumvent that by taking a "penalty" in some other way).
    • Like x 1
  8. krytine Loyal Player

By the devs closing the damage gap it supports are going to be doing more damage. But the damage reducing crap shouldn't be there we have our bonus for roles and dps should have theres but we shouldnt be hurt for running support
    • Like x 2
  9. spack2k Steadfast Player

that dmg penalty on support role is insane like 60% ...
    • Like x 1
  10. Charmed Legacy Dedicated Player

I've put together another battle tank for raiding this weekend to test. The last one I did during 1.6 went ok i guess, but changes were made since then so it needs to be checked again. I'll prepare my tears after I recheck it, but the damage penalty is poop. Even when I'm in decent range of the dps's might I can still only put out maybe half the damage they do. It makes it pointless to even attempt it if that's all I'm ever going to get, and that's an epic fail for atomic in my eyes. :( Most people who really get into playing atomic tank love the battle tank aspect, and this is going to be a massive let down for them.
    • Like x 1
  11. BumblingB I got better.

Yeah, letting the gear dictate how much damage you can do. It would not be the strongest of either, but at least it would follow the actual "Battle Role" theme.
  12. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Agree. I feel the group of DCUOers that hate hybrid off roles have won out here. I really don't like this. I hate how they are forcing the off role players to spec now. Since they opened their mouth and said they would try and have the revamp out before the next DLC, I feel we are stuck with what's on test currently. The only power they are still puzzled with is nature, sorry nature users.
  13. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

100% agree. I've yet to see any videos from test showing any roles doing enough damage to keep up with dps in the last few months. Early on videos looked promising, but not much since they have slowly killed off the battle role with how we will be forced to spec for roles.
  14. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

You reminded me.. I can't even do a battle support with Nature. Even with Gorilla and Swarm I can't even put up a good 5 million. Heh. My hots suffer big time if I try doing a weapon based battle support too.

It's sad too because I've tried mixing gear and doing full support gear with a dps focus and even a dps gear spec with support focus. All my results are awful.
    I can't even get to 40% a dps and I'm no slouch at all in either full support or battle support.
    It's crazy.
    Even Electricity can't layout dots while putting out some burst heals. It was finally able to do battle support and now that went bye bye. GG Devs.

On test I'm only able to get crits and support stats and some might from split mods. Escalating might or Relentless Precision with either chest mod for damage and then max damage.
    We get no PI damage..

Nature forms being Supercharges is bunk too because you can't even lay poisons and pheromones out with the same spec anymore.
    Of course that was my way of doing it but there was the human form way and the bug form way as well.
    Bleh. And since Nature is still in need of help in pure support, it's a damn mission to even attempt BH specs with it.

And I know you and pit aren't gonna be happy with battle healing if Sorcery goes out to live with its current state. You can't even heal your way out a plastic bag right now. Battle healing is out the picture completely lol. Even with Fury and even with Guardian which both need to do better damage in healer role. At least 10k hits. Or allow Fury's Arcane barrage to heal in healer role.
  15. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

For your info I play both sides of the powers.
    No. They didn't do battle tanking lol. They screwed it up with active tanking being the only style of tanking. Nowhere near battle by definition so calm down.
    Battle tanking is completely different than Active Tanking.

Another thing is how do you expect Atomic players to deal with that comment? Because thats what it is by definition and the design of how the power is itself. You need to attack and be active to do well with it lol. And because of that it can really dish out hurt in a battle spec. Or it could on live servers cause on test it can't do that. And that's something Atomic players will miss sorely.

You can take yourself out this damn thread and stop polluting it with your garbage.
    Players like you are part of who destroyed the fun part of Celestial and the potential of being active with Rage which takes skill.
    Celestial can't do what it was designed around anymore which is another problem I have as someone who helped write the Celestial Guide on this forum.
    And I know the Devs pissed in your cheerios but you need to stop trying to think I want this as an absolute best playstyle because I don't. I only want it as an option and it's quite an easy thing to do by just altering skill point specs.

And btw. You do know I'm someone who was pushing for tanks to have options in how they play right? And yes I push for pure and active respectively. Why? Because not everyone likes the way you want everyone to play and damn it they have a right to like and dislike whatever they want.
    You may not want it which is fine. But it should remain an option. Not an absolute.

Just for the sake of being petty:
    And you do know that it's been me and three others literally giving the only feedback on healing right? Just the pure side of healing btw.
    Don't you dare come at me with that again.
    And you shouldn't come at anyone else in this thread with that either because they all are high level players of support both pure and battle and they have also advocated for support to be able to do pure and battle respectively.
    Either you come here with constructive input or you stay out of this thread completely.
    Tired of people doing this crap.
    • Like x 2
  16. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

If you're referring to the active tanking aspect, no battle roles did not do that. Atomic did it. It's the only tank that can go high rounds of SM without blocking while dealing good damage in tank role. If people really didn't see it coming when the popularity of Atomic boomed, then they don't pay attention at all.
  17. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

The thing that folks don't understand though, is hybrids have always existed.

During the "golden age" of DCUO (T4 and lower) most people expected the trolls to be beneath dps on the scoreboard.... but myself (and a few others that I know) always beat controllers (and in some cases bad dps) in damage while healing (and in some cases back in the day it was mostly using precision attacks and clipping, which was sad considering some of us had very few offensive tools on our loadouts). Yet folks, wonder why some folks enjoy playing that way (I mean if you can do your job and contribute to the damage of the group why not).

I also worry what will end up hitting live, things feel both too rushed and too drawn out at the same time, it makes me really uneasy.
    • Like x 2
  18. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I know. I've played hybrid since the beginning in all roles I've played. Either when I was Sorcery and being one of the few that could solo PBG or being nature and only carrying three heals. Those days were not only the golden age, but the most fun I've had on the game.

The reason precision ruled back then was also because of it being unbalanced. Remember the glass cannons when people farmed the crap out of purple iconic gear? Or when an entire raid group would go around using arrow storm, or rifle grenade. Heck, I remember trying to get duel pistols waaayyyy back when the full auto with weapon of destiny could not be touched by any power. It was just years of unbalance we went thru, but we made it work.
  19. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Sure you can. My buddy has been messing with a new hybrid nature. I'm not sure if you dps with nature currently, cause I know it's sad, you basically switch back and forth between human form and bug form. Drop your damage dots in human form, and keep harvest going in bug form. It puts out nice numbers, and it looks like a lot of fun. He doesn't think it would be strong enough to solo heal with, but as a secondary heal, it works great.
    • Like x 1
  20. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

I know you can on live but in test.. its a no go.
    I love doing it on live cause it's a beast of a set up when you do it right. Pretty numbers!
    But on test we can't..