Lernaea’s Amulet Etiquette?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Joybird, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Joybird Committed Player

Yeah, that was basically the situation. The person was not using finishers, and the group didn't have a troller. As I mentioned, I was able to keep him alive after changing my spec for more power efficiency. However, even so, I was spending 80% of my effort babysitting this single, kamikazee dps. The analogy of healing a fire tank is a poor one. I heal tons of fire tanks all the time, and it's no problem. This is more like a fire tank who refuses to use self-heals.

It's my responsibility to heal damage. It's also everyone's responsibility to avoid or mitigate damage. As we used to say in the early days of MMOs "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If a dps dies, it's their own fault". If I have spare power to heal a kamikazee dps, we should probably be doing harder content anyway, and the kamikazee dps is holding us back.
    • Like x 6
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There is a wrong way to use Amulet. I can heal DPS that use Amulet. I can not heal stupid people that use Amulet. That's the difference.
    • Like x 9
  3. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Funny thing is that you’re completely oblivious. No one is talking about it being hard to heal amulet healers. People are talking about purposefully letting people like you die. The job of a healer is to keep the group alive. However there is a reason why there’s a common saying. “You can’t heal stupid”. If someone chooses to remain at max stacks and excepts the group to revolve around them as they try to chase the scoreboard, then yes let them die. I’m fact. I like turning it into a game. When I see someone using it I’ll heal them and then all of a sudden when they feel secure I stop for a second and watch them die. It’s actually rather fun.
    • Like x 8
  4. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

In my opinion, a healer has no business trying to do damage at the cost of a DPS not doing their full potential in damage. LA is meant to provide lots of might at the cost of health, and it's the healer's literal job to heal above anything else. If it were me, I would have immediately switched to my full healer spec and accepted the challenge, pulling out all the stops. After a couple hallways, if this player is middle of the scorecard and not contributing well enough for all the extra work, I would stop caring and focusing on giving supercharge to the good players, but I would continue to heal my heart out because it's the job I queued in as. If this player's constant health loss causes the group to wipe (LA can essentially "steal" priority heals that would have otherwise gone to the tank), then I would have started a kick. Although, if it were me, I would have been able to heal through it. If it's another healer struggling, just start the vote to kick, but I'm here to say, if such a player were top DPS in my run, I'd do anything to make it work.

At OP, if you can't heal it, then don't; ask him to change or start the kick. If you can heal it and the player is actually good, do it. If you don't feel like healing because it's too much work, please don't queue as healer; doing damage as a healer is a luxury. A role is a job you signed up for. If you want to do damage as a healer, only do so if the group setup allows for it.
    • Like x 1
  5. Drathmor Unwavering Player

honestly serious with this question as I know the answer I have seen. have you pugged with any good amulet users. not in your league just random pugs, that one) was top of score card and two) weren't killing them selves because they know how to use the artifact properly.

I only know one person that i have ever ran with using amulet that was actually good and knew what they were doing. he knows if im healing I wont kill my self to keep him alive even though I could he knows better than to ask me too. I will just kind of ignore his damage taken if noone else is taking any. he does great at managing it and will only go hog wild when he knows were in a situation where he can, like i put him in a bubble or just hit a super or countless other ways he knows he is safe for a few seconds.

most of them you run into get rountinly demolished by every other good dps in the group. as most people really suck at this game and believe they are the greatest gift to it at the same time
    • Like x 2
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The OP didn’t mention trying to do damage. They could’ve been an EoG healer who had to covert to full heal to keep said dps alive. One dps not knowing how to use amulet does not outweigh all the other dps having less SC.
    • Like x 3
  7. Joybird Committed Player

My primary job as a healer is to heal the tank. Of course, it's secondarily my job to heal dps when they make mistakes or get hit by unavoidable damage, but a part of their job is to avoid taking damage. Aside from unavoidable boss mechanics, dps shouldn't really be taking any damage at all. Obviously, no one's perfect, but that's not an excuse not to try.

Why? It's not because of what our roles are called. It's because healing dps is a massively inefficient use of healing resources. They take more damage per hit, so it takes more resources to heal them. If I have spare power to direct to a dps, then we're not doing the hardest possible content and we are stalled in our progression. However, if we have dps who take unnecessary damage, we can't move on to harder content, because they're harming healing efficiency. Those heals are primarily for the tank. The more heals available for the tank, the tougher enemies that the tank can handle, and the more progress that we can make. Healing dps sets back the guild/league's progression.

Learnaea's Amulet has a clear mechanic for recouping much of the damage it does, and if a dps isn't using that mechanic, they are wasting healer power and setting back the league's progression.
    • Like x 2
  8. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

I actually laughed out loud with your question because it's true, most LA users I've pugged with were trash. A couple of times, users were competent, not top DPS, but competent, when I was healing. I'd say I could probably vouch for maybe a dozen times when I've pugged into a group where a DPS was using LA, but then they weren't clearly the top DPS. Most of those times, they didn't hold back the group by killing themselves; they used their finisher to reset. I can't personally think of failing any raids because of a player using the LA, but I could fathom it as a possibility.

That's fine; others did, which prompted me to provided my opinion on LA etiquette with various situations. While your provided scenario is an opinion I share, I hold another opinion in higher regard: I have no right how to tell another PUG what style of play they have to do. Furthermore, it's also my opinion that in regular content, nothing matters; playstyle can be any niche choice. It should not matter. If the healer wants to do green spam, cool. If a mediocre DPS wants to use LA, cool, even if it comes at the loss of green spam. The group will do more damage with green spam, sure, but most of the time, a group is always better off if everyone is alive. Even in most PUG runs, I'd rather keep the 4th best DPS alive (idk what place this player placed) than give 12% more supercharge to those standing around me. Honestly, regardless of what I think is best, I'm healing, even if one player needs me to go full healer spec. Perhaps that's unpopular, but I pride myself on healing. I will personally straight-up carry a mediocre LA user who doesn't understand the artifact.

But I get it, I'm in a position of healing that not everyone can attain overnight (700 SP, the best healer artifacts maxed, elite gear, and no power issues with or without a troll). I fully understand that there are players still working their way to attain things to give themselves the best possible chances at being successful. Hence, why I put several scenarios on what a person can do in that situation. However, I fully believed a player who is completely decked out should have no problem, and the damage loss of no green spam is going to add how much time to a regular run? 5-10 minutes at most?
    • Like x 1
  9. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

You don't need to convince me. I agree. However, in regular content as a PUG, it doesn't matter to me, and quite frankly, if someone is able to handle more difficult content, I'm surprised such a player would care. It's regular content; most of the time, if the group just fell forward, they would beat it. If you feel that you should be doing tougher content, then do so, but I would suggest you form a group. PUG life has no guarantees. If you're ready for tougher content, congratulations, and I wish you well.
  10. Shaz DCUO New Player

All I see is a bunch of kids crying about amulet, if you can't heal through it switch roles simple. I guarantee none of you beat elite plus with that mentality of letting people die who want to max their damage. I've had many accounts on the crybaby forums full of kids who have nothing better to do trying to belittle each other because you don't like someone's opinion I get banned because people can't handle the truth. I bet $100 you kids are hybrid or doing battle healing etc low sp and arts lol
    • Like x 1
  11. Shaz DCUO New Player

Let a toxic dps die and see who gets kicked faster lmao you guys are easy to replace, tons of real healers who don't cry about amulet.
    • Like x 1
  12. Shaz DCUO New Player

All this new gear and you still crying about "power" like you don't have purple healing ray, cyborg, spec'd super-powered etc. That excuse is old and power isn't the issue you're just LAZY.
    • Like x 1
  13. Shaz DCUO New Player

Straight trash lmao
    • Like x 1
  14. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

All we see is a dumb New Player... :rolleyes:
  15. Shaz DCUO New Player

Lol really worried about my account being new like it matters, you guys are seriously SOCIALLY INEPT. Get off the forums and go outside.
    • Like x 1
  16. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yeah, you're right. The "dumb" part matters more... :)
  17. Shaz DCUO New Player

Prime example of Socially Inept lol..
    • Like x 1
  18. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Wait, so is that why, every now and then, I wind up in a group where there's one kamikaze player that is constantly taking massive damage, so I start trying to heal them and I run out of power just trying to keep that one player alive? And I have nothing left when the rest of the group starts taking damage? And I get taken down because all that healing drew all the aggro from the adds? And the whole time, I'm going "Why can't I heal this person?!?"

I mean, it's not going to stop me doing everything I can to keep the group on its feet, but now that I know there's a reason they seem to be unhealable, I'll probably stop worrying so much about trying to spam heals to a dps who's determined to knock themselves out.
    • Like x 1
  19. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

You'd think a social butterfly like yourself could come up with a witty comeback. :D
  20. Shaz DCUO New Player

Not here to entertain soft sensitive kids, just relaying opinions "mate" lol
    • Like x 1