Lantern colors (it's not what your thinking lol)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Talamh, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Starblast Well-Known Player

why does it have to be just Red and Blue? maybe some of us would like to be Star Sapphires, Orange Lanterns, White Lanterns, or Black Lanterns? They could even make the lantern color change purchasable with MoT or MoL or something. OR as a faction renown type thing. IE you'd have to play certain missions to gain the tokens to earn the options to purchase those colors. And then I guess make the more popular ones available to purchase on marketplace or loyalty points. That is my idea. :cool:
  2. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I give up. I give up trying to teach people about the Lantern corps and how they do not work in the way so many seem to think they do. So many people scream that they want to be members of the different Lantern corps yet they don't have the first idea of how they even work. Enjoy living in your ignorance.
    • Like x 1
  3. LL New Player

I wonder though... why they even want to be whatever color when it's clear they never read a lantern comic? Seems odd.
  4. Circe New Player

I just want to be a Star Sapphire. Everything else I don't care about.
  5. LL New Player

I have said this before its the only lantern power that works for both factions, as love can be good and bad. However, unless its changed they have never had a male member. How is this good for the player base?
  6. CAm New Player

Not sure if I'm hurting or helping. I'm not lecturing you, but anyone else who reads this who may be misinformed. I'm very certain you are well versed.

Reds cannot make reliable constructs due to the fact that they are - in general - mindless and not capable of the focus needed to manifest anything. A few times in the past, a Red Lantern has had enough rage to actually focus it into a very basic and unstable construct. As you said, "which almost never happens in the comics."

However, Rankoor has proven, in recent issues, to be in complete control and able to create all manner of stable constructs at will. I do not believe that there are any more of the stereotypical "mindless" Red Lanterns anymore. They have all been brought back into the land of the thinking or killed during the rise of the Third Army and First Lantern arcs.

I cannot speak on behalf of the writers, but I'm figuring it is just a matter of time before the rest figure it out. But that is speculation, not canon.

My point is that we're starting to lose the ability to claim that red lanterns making constructs is a no-no. While it is still slim, Rankoor is breaking a lot of rules of Red Lanterns. While we live by the canon, we must also die by the canon.

On that note, I'm not for having reds or blues in the game. I may expand on that statement at some point. Fun to think about, but terrible in execution.
    • Like x 2
  7. CAm New Player

Yes and no. They have never officially had a male member.

However, Guy Gardner has stolen a ring and used it.

As I have argued time and time again, the "girls only club" is a rule of the people who represent the power, and not a rule of the power itself. Anyone who feels great love can be a Violet Lantern. They just need a ring to focus it usually.

If an alley cat who feels pure rage in his heart can become a Red Lantern, then a guy can be a Violet Lantern. However, they would have to come up with a reason as to why this was allowed to happen. Sapphires would not really stand for it happening on a widespread basis.

Not to mention, and I've made this point elsewhere before, it is kind of a PR nightmare to implement. It is also probably the reason that DC has never green-lit a permanent male Sapphire. Even with Alan Scott coming out recently, the fact that Sapphires are generally girls-only would generate several undertones of a homosexual nature regarding said male Sapphire. Somewhat like how male nurses and male flight attendants have been heckled for performing a function that society deems to be largely feminine in nature. At least, American culture. I cannot speak for the other nations.

Regardless, it's a hot potato. If not suicidal.
    • Like x 1
  8. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Thank you for being one of the people who actually know what they're talking about. As you said Guy Gardner stole a Star Sapphire ring and used it, and Abraham Pointe from Earth was the host of Predator, the living embodiment of the Violet light. I'm not sure if he counts as a Star Sapphire since he was possessed and didn't actually have a ring, but as you said the whole female only thing is a rule imposed by the wielders of the Violet light, not a rule within the light itself.

I suspect you are definitely correct about a male Star Sapphire being a PR nightmare for DC with the amount of bigots we have in the world.
  9. ElectricPhoton New Player

Ok Devs, I challenge you to make more weapon packs of powers we will NEVER EVER get in the lifetime of DCUO.
    I just love how you released the light weapon packs and all of these threads are flying over the place

I want a Atomic Weapon Pack
    A Rainbow Unicorn Pack( Perfect for Zod )
    A Shapshifting Weapon Pack
    A Holy Pack
    An Air Pack( Im pretty sure we already have it whenever we switch weapons but thats a whole 'nother topic)
    And a Mastery Weapon Pack where we use our sheer power to make weapons
    • Like x 2
  10. Minnion Devoted Player

Corect me if I'm wrong but aren't all of the powers in this game technically "stolen" according to the excuse plot? (I mean we have Brainiac blatantly trying to steal lantern powers anyways, and granted he hasn't gone after the purple yet, he has at least been stealing red, yellow and green... not to mention trying to round up Exobyte enhanced humans in general...) But enough about that, I don't really care that much one way or another if we get more lantern rings so much as I just like the idea of customizing the power VFX with accessory pieces in general...

Pink or blue or green lightning or perhaps fire for instance... Purple vines, diamond looking rock powers... Crimson Ice, radioactive mind blasts.... Again think of the customization that different colored variants of existing powers could bring in.
  11. John New Player

you are not thinking if this happens everyone will go hard light and if everyone goes hardlight the game is f
  12. John New Player

maybe not blue but atleaste make red in game
  13. Trees New Player

This is probably the most childish response to this thread lol why are you so upset about someone not wanting to add this useless content that in no way makes sense right now and is not needed? Honestly I pictured a baby crying while reading this post. Hard light isn't rainbow powers.... Green and Yellow are all that is necessary in this game.
  14. Jafin 10000 Post Club

The Lantern powers aren't stolen. Anybody who is Light didn't get their powers from an Exobyte, they got it by being deputised by either the Green Lantern Corps or the Sinestro Corps.
    • Like x 1
  15. Anima Committed Player

I would prefer they were only female. Same goes for all the other lanterns.
  16. Blight KOBRA Commander

I'd like to see this too, but odds are the devs will say it would require too much processing power. And at that point if you're going to allow players to change the color of Lantern powers you might as well just go the extra mile and allow the same feature for ALL the power types.
  17. SuperiorMouse New Player

This is actually 100% completely untrue. The debs never specifically said this or anything close to it. Ever.

That is all.
  18. Gwalir Loyal Player

That's always been a gray area to me.

Yes, we got deputized and inducted into the corps when we used one of the starting Respec Tokens, but any new Light character made starts on Brainiac's ship with all the other exobyte-powered characters. Also, and I could be wrong about this part, any person who uses a new Respec token no longer gets the deputized message.

What I always thought is that the Guardians deputized us kinda like how they made Alan Scott an honorary Green Lantern, despite his powers being magical in nature and not related to the emotional spectrum at all.
  19. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Yes, they did. It was on the old forums a couple of months after the game launched. They said that there would never be colour customisation for powers because it would make it too difficult to tell who was using what power, especially in PVP. I remember it vividly.

Edit: In fact here is a link to a thread from 2011 supporting this. While I can't find the exact thread where it was stated, you will see that this thread mentions that the devs had already told us numerous times at that stage that power colour customisation would not be coming.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/power-color-chooser.48859/
    • Like x 1
  20. CAm New Player

While nowhere near official in nature, the only way I have been able to explain it in a way that satisfies my need to stick to canon GL lore and mate it up with in-game rationale, is that we are exobyte gifted people that either had, or were made deputies. However, we do not have the scope of powers the others have. In reality, an ice tank who was deputized would become an ice tank with HL powers on top of it.

That obviously would not work in terms of gameplay balancing. So its kind of like we got the short bus exobytes. This way, we have iconic powers access without actually being tethered to a power set outside of hard light.

Of course, exobytes do not really explain how non lanterns can generate a hard light shield. I won't go into the mechanics of that. And it does not explain players who were previously another power set and used a respec token.

As I have eluded to in the past, they had to fudge a lot of facts to get the lanterns to work in this game.

Regardless, it is the closest approximation to a valid explanation I have. And I've spent way more time thinking about it than any one person should probably have.