Kicking a player from instance for ''no reason'' should be taken as a toxic behavior too @Daybreak

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BƖack, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Dene Devoted Player

For disastrous situations, I like to say the following ones lol

"like over cooked pasta through a sieve.."

"like too much coffee through a filter.."
    • Like x 2
  2. myandria Item Storage

I hate to break it to you, but yes, it does happen.

I did not say it happens often, but it does happen. If you think I am lying, that is your opinion. There are more thirsty try-hards out there than you think. Running PUG missions are the main source of this issue; it is the price of PUG life. Since there are others who have had similar experiences, I guess I'm not lying, hmm?
    • Like x 3
  3. myandria Item Storage

LOL! My mother took over the TV when her soap operas came on. Unless you were going to be quiet and watch with her she didn't want ANYONE to be in the living room with her while they were on. If we made too much noise while her shows were on, we were kicked out of the house no matter what the weather was. We had to wait until 3.30 to get the TV back to watch the afternoon cartoon shows.:D
    • Like x 3
  4. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I recall starting two votes to kick in the past year and a half. 6th dimension raid, it's going smoothly, a slow burn, but no wipes. From the very first boss, the tank is complaining over and over in belittling terms how awful the burn is. He keeps pulling up the score card, and comparing people's damage out to his own, and to mine (I was 'troling) After we finished Superman, I had enough, I would much rather a mediocre tank than someone who feels compelled to tell everyone how awful they were.

The second was a woman who inexplicably in the middle of the Thrones raid started spouting off which races she didn't like, we're talking "I hate ------" with a hard G. Followed by a list of ethnic slurs.

I don't regret starting either.
    • Like x 2
  5. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Hey man I remember being kicked from FoS2 immediately for simply being a fire tank. Joined another group beat it and still saw that same group shouting looking for a tank. It didn't feel good to be kicked for that stupid of a reason but at the end of the day it is a group effort and the majority decided what you were doing wasn't the right fit for them. Time is valuable and sometimes we have to accept that people put their time above my or anyone else's fun.

If it's elite content, then I say expect to be held to a standard set by the sweats. It's meant for the top percent. The way I see it, if it was Basketball and you were on the Lakers, would Kobe have kicked you out the locker room? An NBA game is at a larger scale and of more importance than a video game but they share the competitiveness and need for "excellence" when you play with certain people.
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

I mean, I think if you get a feat unlock for running something like 500 times, you should be able to do a "sweep" function where you get the rewards without having to slog through it again. You can still run it for feats or with someone else, of course...talk about quality of life update.

If you're going to tell me you've never hit the wrong option on one of those vote pop ups then you're a straight-up liar...
  7. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I'm not, but I am going to say that i think it happens much less frequently than doing it on purpose.
  8. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Whomever I've clicked the vote kick option on Xbox... Players just either click whatever or just assume I know what I'm doing... Sometimes they don't at all... It really becomes just random slots at that point.
    • Like x 1
  9. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Whenever I've clicked yes, it's because of egregious toxic behaviour socially, or because the person is camping at the start and not participating. Kicking someone for underperforming is something I won't do. It's a game, and because someone isn't playing as well as you, kicking them is the video game equivalent of picking someone last for soccer at recess in school.
    • Like x 2
  10. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

A bit late here... but I'll throw my two cents.

The option to kick is just a necessary thing to have. It would be pretty ridiculous to have a stalemate where everyone is upset with eachother and nobody has the power to do anything about it. People would be harrassed into quitting... or the better player that everyone wants to keep around would leave... or people would be super petty and see who can stay on the instance longer... nobody wins in stalemates like it.

There is too many potential scenarios for a system in place to determine what kicks are fair and whatnot. It's entirely subjective anyway.

People just need to grow some balls and accept that people don't care about them sometimes. It might sting a little bit if its a friend or something. But random dudes on the internet who don't want you? Pick yourself up and stop crying about it on the forums.
    • Like x 1
  11. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I don't think anyone is saying it's not necessary, sadly it is. The question becomes, how do you stop it being abused, and if it is, what are the repercussions? That's a question the veers into the philosophical. To me, under performing players shouldn't be kicked. BUT, what happens if you're in an elite instance, and one player is dramatically under geared? If the group has made a conscious decision to run harder than normal content, they should have the tools to ensure that the players who ask to join have the necessary tools to do so. A real life parallel, you're starting a competitive hockey team, and a player shows up without skates. His heart may be in the right place, but he's obviously not going to be able to perform.
  12. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Well... cutting off someone's hand so that they can't punch you in the face is illegal. It should probably stay that way.
  13. bboy-rei Well-Known Player

Getting kicked without warning and you know that you are not the problem in your group sucks, but it happens and it's difficult to police. Just a learning lesson on who you shouldn't run with next time in that scenario.

If it's an underperforming player and they are not being toxic, I would at least give them the courtesy of letting them know and kindly ask them to step out. If it's not their gear or stats that are the problem, at least give them advice on how to clear the instance first. Toxic and AFK players are self-explanatory.
    • Like x 1
  14. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

A few weeks ago, I was doing the Legion HQ alert with randoms. A couple of the others had obviously never done it before. When we got to the Metal Construct, I immediately started clearing the barrels out of the room, and the others followed suit -- with one exception. One player was throwing the barrels instead of dropping them, causing them to break and setting off their effects. I got their attention and explained that they needed to just drop them, so they wouldn't break and respawn.

At some point, someone left, and we got a replacement while we were still clearing out the barrels. The new person started breaking the barrels on purpose. Then, when we got them to stop doing that, they just stayed in the alcove where we'd stacked the barrels. After several minutes, we went ahead and started the fight, locking that player in the alcove. After we beat the construct, someone started the vote to kick that player, and (surprise, surprise) it passed.

Now, when the first player was breaking the barrels, we could've voted to kick (I think the person who quit had started the vote), but I preferred to try communication first. The second player, however, was just being a d*ck (by breaking the barrels), and was keeping us from starting the battle (by refusing to participate in the battle), so I had no problem clicking "yes."

I probably could have been kicked the first time I did that alert, because I didn't know about the barrels. I was the tank, and it looked like the others were waiting on me, so I started the fight. We wiped. Then when we got back in there, I noticed the others moving the barrels. When the battle started and the force fields went up over the doorways, that's when I figured it out.

I could've been kicked when I did the Sixth Dimension raid, because I didn't know using orbital strike can cause the whole group to wipe. When I used my orbital strike, everybody went down. Another player said "And that's why we don't use orbital." I took the orbital strike out of my loadout, and we beat the Anti-Monitor pretty quickly.

Basically, I'm just saying that (tl;dr) someone being a noob is not a reason to kick them. Tell them what they need to do. If they keep doing it wrong, then maybe they're just griefing, and you can kick them.
    • Like x 3
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I see nothing wrong with this stance. I'll say something to the group once...maybe twice even...but if one guy keeps up with the same thing that will wipe the group or cause a fail...he gone or I am.
    • Like x 1
  16. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Lies. You're a carebear. Kicking is unethical and symbolic of selfishness and other unsavory traits. Do they have church in the sewers?
  17. BƖack Dedicated Player

Once again i wasn't afk. I also wasn't rude to him at all untill he kicked me. To be honest we didn't write during this entire run. It was daily omnibus raid. Just my friend Alex said once on the chat at the start that he gonna be looking for briefings. I was just helping him to find some.

That person knew it but clearly was in a hurry no idea for what reason. He could just write on the chat ''hey man we're on last boss, hurry up'', but no he didn't... he just instantly voted to kick me so my response to that was immediate too.

I hate something like this you can agree or not, if you have a problem... talk this out, That's why chat exists.
  18. Derio 15000 Post Club

Its really bad in seasonal. We saw that in the Valentines day seasonal where people would queue in and go AFK for almost 5 minutes. Since there is no policing then people dont really care so they can abuse the system.

To the OPs point. If people see you not with the group on the map and its been longer than 1 or 2 minutes. They are most likely going to think you are AFK or trolling which will lead to a kick.
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Kicking someone from a group because you THINK they biffed a feat, when you could just re-try the feat but would rather be a vindictive a-hat...leave the already in instance run, kick the person, then start shouting for a backfill rather than just re-try the feat (soooo much faster the other way...right)....is as close to 'unethical' as a kick would be I suppose.

And as someone who's 'people' are generally dropped in the toilet, then flushed...I'd guess you know more about the sewers than I would.
    • Like x 1
  20. Bloodwynd71 Active Player

Getting briefs is something best done at the end of the instance. The only exception is instance where you
    teleport to multiple zones.