Jason Momoa's Aquaman

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Swaggernaut, Aug 15, 2016.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

If she's the greatest Oz has to offer the world of entertainment, so sad, so very sad
  2. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Nicole Kidman is playing Aquaman's mother, Atlanna.

It's not suppose to look like scales. It's just a stylized texture, based on modern competitive swimwear, that looks good on film.
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thank you for the information
  4. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

As I said earlier, I think that WB wanted to run screaming from the cartoon Aquaman so they did a complete 180 is casting Mamoa. And it's not the first time they completely altered a DC character. For example:

Deadshot is now black
    Perry White is now black
    Lois Lane is now a redhead
    Barry Allen became a criminologist after becoming the Flash
    In the last Fantastic Four movie, Johnny Storm was black
    In Deadpool 2, Domino is now black(mixed race actually)
    Dr. Strange, the Ancient one is both caucasian and female and Mordo is black
    DareDevil(Ben Affleck version), Kingpin was black
    Thor, Valkyrie is black-Hispanic

There are more but I believe my point is made. IMO, I don't mind changes as long as the character plays the part well. Take Perry White. Lawrence Fishburn can act the phone book so his casting doesn't bother me. Same with Amy Adams. I think she's gorgeous so getting to stare at her in a 3 hour movie is a plus. Same with Tilda Swinton. The woman can flat out act and she was great in Dr. Strange. So, as long as the actor/actress carries the role, their race doesn't matter.
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Actually very strongly disagree with you about it being okay to change the character as long as the actor (or actress) is a good enough actor
  6. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

But you go on to point out alternate universes and other changes. Can't have it both ways.
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Never said the Black Johnny was acceptable, just explaining why that change (there was nothing good about "Fant4stic", characters being the least of it)
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Sorry DarkVisor, at the risk of derailing things I have to get a little nitpicky. :p

Thor, Valkyrie is black-Hispanic
    She is supposed to be American Indian (and a mutant, neither of which exist in the MCU)

You might be thinking of Mirage from the New Mutants. In one of their adventures they and Storm (who was depowered at the time and acting as their teacher/guardian) were kidnapped by the Asgardian Enchantress (at the behest of Loki) and taken to Asgard. While in Asgard Mirage rescued and bonded with one of the horses used by the Valkyror and became a Valkyrie in the process.

This is the character that uses the name Valkyrie in Marvel Comics (last I knew).

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yes, was thinking of Mirage, butt no excuse, as still knew about ^ Val (she of the metal torpedo-bra)
  10. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Never watched the new F4 movie, but how exactly is Johnny and Sue related in this one?
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Adopted, never seen it either so not sure who was adopted (or maybe they were both adopted, by a Japanese family, in Australia)
  12. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So here is another reveal on the other underwater civilizations that will be showcased in the upcoming Aquaman film
    [IMG]
  13. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

the biggest mistake the JL movie made was not integrating The Flash shows cast into the movie...the snapper carr level new kid Flash the movie had with the pill prescription level ...whatever condition that was supposed to be...was...the first of many mistakes that movie made
  14. Anothername Well-Known Player

She can't decide in the comics either; so thats ok in my book.

[IMG]

Full on blonde would be nice but I think its a good compromise in that picture:

15. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

initially i was all for momoa to play aquaman but after the Justice league movie I'm less than enthused. i guess that khal drogo didn't say much had a lot to do with the mans success in that role. so much hype for the character and he fell very flat in the movie.

but then everyone did. i recently watched the JL movie after a few months and with less hype i found myself enjoying it although the movies biggest flaw was present the entire time: that they just rushed everything out as fast as possible. very poorly built up.

i also hate erza miller as the flash...although i feel he's a talented actor. he was much more "wally west" than "barry Allen".

its very difficult having a life long love of dc comics and seeing all these great opportunities falling short.

costuming in these movies is atrocious. i even think wonder woman who generally gets a pass for being the best of dc's cinematic offerings has a horrific costume.
  16. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

As the first 2 Thor movies have already proved, an uptight of-royalty character isn't that interesting. Thus, Thor Ragnarok and Aquaman JL, were made borderline frat boys. Thor kinda gets away with it, being already in a couple of movies which gives him a bit of character development.

I don't hate Ezra, it's just the way they wrote Flash in the movie, may not be literally younger than Cyborg, but he was a bit childish unlike Flash portrayals in JL:U and CW.
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Maybe they are the Zealandians, from the real sunken continent of Zealandia :D
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Isn't that Mera, with AquaDork, though? o_O
  19. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

good storyline...if you remember alpha flight gets sucked into lokis craziness later...marvel always did a great job presenting their asgardians...they have absolutely nothing to do with the actual myths...but i watch the movies and i see thats exactly the kind od character owning plot that works...
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Actually it was the other way around. I've got one of the collected graphic novels of those stories (collected under The Asgardian Wars title) and the X-Men/Alpha Flight story came before the New Mutants stuff. Loki swore an oath at the end of the X-Men/Alpha Flight story to not harm any of those involved in that story, which is why he had the Enchantress be the one to go after the New Mutants and Storm.

Unless there's yet another story done later on that I'm not aware of. :D