Its been almost 5 years

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by FutureSoldier, Apr 30, 2020.

1. FutureSoldier Active Player

It's been almost 5 years since the last PVP update. Will we see any balance changes any time soon? Arenas are literally unplayable.
    PS: I'm posting this in General Discussions because it has nothing to do with PVP. It's simply a question asking if we will see an update any time soon.
    • Like x 2
  2. Darth Piper Loyal Player

The last PVP update was the 101 gear and the Belle Reve arena... and I think that was dropped as an interim thing while they worked on Amazon Fury III.... mid-2016?
  3. CosmicIV Well-Known Player

PVP balances were on GU56 January 2016, I'm not sure if they did any balance changes with the Belle Reve and the 101 gearset release.
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They said no plans for PvP anytime soon. Also asking a question about PvP updates IS the same as having to do with PvP so expect your thread to get moved.
    • Like x 2
  5. FutureSoldier Active Player

And we have to accept that? No PVP Updates for over 5 years? The game was created to have equal sides of PVP and PVE. When you first made a character, you could choose to be put in PVP phase or PVE phase. What would happen if they hadn't updated PVE for over 5 years? The community would go crazy. Villains against Heros, isn't that what DC was promoting? What happened to all that?
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's not top priority. PvP doesn't keep their lights on.
    • Like x 4
  7. FutureSoldier Active Player

Yeah I get that but like, it's been almost 5 YEARS. I know it's not top priority but in these 5 years it should be a priority after everything else was done at some point, 5 years is the average development for a whole brand new MMO game.
  8. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Let's see... over the years, people whined and complained that one role or another had advantages... one power or another was unstoppable... and, well, quite frankly some former staffers didn't like getting their butts handed to them and/or had favorite powers that they wanted to be dominant... so layer upon layer of change was added to PVP that basically ruined it.

In the past Mepps has stated that it would be at least 1 DLC cycle with no new content just to unravel all of the changes and layers of changes that were made, and at least 1 additional DLC cycle with no new content just to fix it. So unless people want to sit for 6-8 months with no new DLC content while they go and prioritize fixing PVP, it's not going to happen. It just doesn't merit that kind of priority bump, no matter how much people complain.

If anything it would probably be faster and saner to rebuild the PVP stuff from the ground up and replace the existing PVP engine the same way they did Survival Mode... but that, at this point, is also a labor of love because it would require a design team who is dedicated to just that... rebuilding the PVP engine and then supporting it. Could it be going on behind the scenes right now as an unannounced surprise? Sure. That happened to us with SM. Is it likely? Given the lag issues with the latest DLC, I think that all hands are as on-deck as possible towards diagnosing and fixing the problems. That's a MUCH higher priority, since the lag spikes can make some of the content unplayable, and any other projects beyond designing and developing the next DLC or two are on hold.
    • Like x 3
  9. FutureSoldier Active Player

Come on lol, everything was playable until the GU73 (Stats revamp) which turned PVP into a spam fest. Yeah people complained about other updates BUT all those updates were playable.
  10. Darth Piper Loyal Player

PVE DLCs... sell replay badges and other items out of the marketplace, including just buying the DLC for Premium members.

PVP... is free to play.

End of line, as the MCP in Tron might say.
    • Like x 1
  11. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

No... but what are you going to do other than complain on the forums?
  12. Isif Committed Player

There seems to be a distinct connection between PVE and PVP. I mean tweaking one disturbs the other. Stats was the attempt at balance, though not perfect it was a solid attempt. I personally think that because the PVE balance is closer than prior attempts, they are scared to upset the PVE balance by tweaking on PVP. I might actually try again if they returned to the RPS system. Hell, if they disabled powers and it was all weapon based I would absolutely be in.
  13. Rainnifer Committed Player

I believe if they had and took the time, it's very possible to separate the two. They already have it in the game where powers do different things depending on your role, and they have it in where certain things and stats are disabled or different when in PVP. They could give each power a tool tip and different effect for what it does in PVP. Like how it says "[Control Role], [Power Interactions], etc" it would also have "[PVP]" That way they can isolate and control exactly the difference between how powers work in PVE and PVP.
    • Like x 2
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There's a lot to fix. We've been throwing ideas out for changes/additions. They just need to find the time and resources to get it done.
    • Like x 1
  15. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

This argument is kind of weird to me. As far as I'm aware, most PvP players do both content and obviously spend some sort of money on the game. If you saw some of the top PvPers a few years ago they almost always had the newest gear, an extensive amount of skill points, and were rotating between new powers. You obviously don't get that by being a free player. I was a paying player for ~6- years but ultimately quit because PvP is unplayable and progress has been made even after the dozens of videos submitted at the devs' request.

Not to mention that the highest viewed DCUO content creators (barring a couple who make guides) were PvP players. In fact, it was one of them who got me interested in the game in the first place. Unfortunately they have mostly quit.

I'm not familiar with how much revenue they get or whatever, but it seems undeniable that PvP helped a lot with exposure. Besides the fact that it's a DC game, DCUO is largely unremarkable in many ways compared to other MMOs. The raids aren't as engaging as those in FFXIV nor is the open world on the level of ESO's. What did stand out though is the combat and it's a shame that they haven't capitalized much on that.
    • Like x 6
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We are looking for feedback and ideas, but PvP is not in the plans right now.
    • Like x 1
  17. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Why? It's part of the game. Why not start adding a set of pvp gear to each DLC? Why not add new or extend old PvP feats? Feats will bring people over to PvP, not a revamp or just a revamp. The players who keep the lights on will PvP, but they need motivation.

This has been the same message since revamp pretty much. Why can't new sets of armor be added on some type of regular basis? Don't have to change the CR. Just add styles with feats. It would be something to do during these next few boring months. Referring to the fail of this DLC. This is why we need PvP. If we are not enjoying one aspect of the game, we can do something else. Why this isn't addressed I have no idea. Other games get our time and money when we takes breaks. Why do I take breaks? Cause you broke PvP. Never took breaks much before you killed it.

Shame on the same message year after year.
    • Like x 9
  18. Bantos2 Active Player

New gear shouldn't be released until they balance Arenas. Arenas are not playable at the moment and it's all about spamming powers. Biggest problems right now is being able to spam powers and dealing very high safe damage numbers without having to use your weapon, the rifle 5 tap being unblockable , trolls not giving out a lot of power because vitalization is capped in arenas for controllers (Bug?) and doing extremely high damage, and healers not being able to heal much for 4v4 and 5v5 matches while they're are doing more damage than they should. Restoration is also capped in arenas for healers. (Bug?)

Imo they should first balance it then release stuff like gear, new maps and new feats.
    Once PVP is enjoyable to play then they can attract the PVE community into it by adding new feats, styles, hosting tournaments with X rewards and many more stuff. But for all that to happen, pvp will have to be fun to play.

I agree with you saying that they should release PVP sets more often, but that should happen after they balance it.
    • Like x 2
  19. Robot Savage Level 30

You keep stating " its been almost 5YEARS" like that means alot.
    PVE is the heart and soul of DCUO and PVP isnt. Its simple they stated they will no longer prioritize PVP at all almost meaning it will no longer continue..
    They do not make any money off PVP. PVE does all their money from ressets to major money pulling in Artifacts and TC gear.
    • Like x 1
  20. Brit Loyal Player

As controversial and divisive as this decision is, I appreciate the open communication and being opaque about it. And I do understand that, even when PvP was receiving significantly more resources and attention, it was only ever actually used by a minority of the players.

That being said, would it be possible to get a CR102 PvP set of gear introduced? The fact we've been capped on gear and on marks for years, I believe, is the biggest reason why people are unwilling to play. When there were actual rewards to be had, matches happened, regardless of whatever complaints people had from all the normal "nerf this, balance that" critique. I'm just talking about a tiny stat upgrade attached to a next tier of gear, so that people can have a reason to queue back up again.

The style doesn't even have to be anything fancy-smancy. Like seriously, just do the very generic Superman style 1 color slimline with the underwear on the outside, and then put a large scale spot on the chest and cape for an emblem to show. Good enough.