It’s time to raise the broker and trade window caps

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by nawanda, Feb 22, 2022.

1. nawanda Loyal Player

I know the US server has higher prices than the EU server does, but we are now getting to a tipping point on the EU server where many items are not listed on the broker because their market value exceeds the 999,999,999 cap. For example, the rare rewards from the last three Booster Bundles now all have a market value just over a billion in-game cash.

I realise that the trade cap is 2.1 billion cash.

If there is some compelling reason why these caps can’t be lifted, I’d like to know what that is. They were established at a time when there was a lot less money in the game economy and have never moved to take into account inflation.

The benefits of increasing the broker cap would be that it would make it easier for players to buy and sell valuable items, and with the 5% broker fee, money would be taken out of the economy. Also players are less likely to be scammed or to use gold sellers to buy items. It’s a simple quality of life change we really need at this point.

Just as an aside, the trade cap being set at 2.1b acts as a drag on trades taking place for items with a market value above that price, as the agreed cash price can’t be sent over in one transaction. Therefore players are at risk of being scammed or have to use agreed middlemen. Or the deal doesn’t happen. All this is totally unnecessary. Please consider increasing the broker and trade caps, they are long overdue.
    • Like x 1
  2. SlipperyRichard Active Player

wow, is this just a joke?
    • Like x 2
  3. nawanda Loyal Player

What’s your problem sunshine?
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The 2.1b cap is actually just: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,147,483,647

It's not that it can't be increased with a little reprogramming, just calling out it isn't there by design. I'll note the broker cap with some other related number things.
    • Like x 9
  5. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

The phrase “first world problems” immediately comes to mind.
    • Like x 10
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I'd rather them leave the cap as is and find a way to stabilize the in game economy. Most games with a cash system have cash sinks installed so that the overall cash does not get to high. Eventually items will start reaching 2bil. What then? Ask that the trade cap be lifted too?
    • Like x 4
  7. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

That's not a good excuse. It's better to invest in more cash sinks than to perpetuate an economic problem like the average player's poor understanding of how economics works (namely the supply and demand aspect that somehow makes people think that 500m or more for certain items is "reasonable").

The other issue is people who buy from bots selling millions as well which also helps little.
    • Like x 5
  8. nawanda Loyal Player

Anyone who opens a BB in the future will potentially benefit from an increased broker cap. Three years ago, I would have agreed with the sentiment behind your statement, but this is something that will help more and more players as time goes on, and not just the very wealthiest.
  9. nawanda Loyal Player

In an unregulated free market, it is the market itself that sets the value of items. As time persists, the amount of money in the economy is growing at a consistent rate. A lot of people attribute this to greed, but name an example of a free market where sellers don’t try to sell things for as much as they can, and buyers (as opposed to theorists, commentators and other bystanders) don’t determine whether that price is acceptable.

I mentioned BB rare items in my original post because their limited availability and scarcity goes in the opposite direction, after the BB disappears and players consume them. The supply and demand you referred to. So naturally, these items grow in value in an exaggerated way. I accept this prices out some people who would like them, but not everyone can expect to own a Ferrari.
    • Like x 1
  10. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

What is a sink on 1k drops from enemies and 50k plans when you have trillions of old fake cash in the economy. The only way to fix the big number issues is to steal cash from everyone, which is not a good way to keep customers happy and to let people waste some cash on broker.

They can just change this 32 bit integer they use to a 64 bit one, so we can have enough numbers to keep trade and broker working until enough cash is sink naturally. Worst case scenario everything remains the same.
  11. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

The cap just prevents more money from being sink and encourages people to use black markets and save items, further increasing inflation.

Players wont stop trying to sell items for their fair value just because they cant straight do it. Its basic economics of price control.
    • Like x 1
  12. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

If ppl weren’t so damn greedy.. no item should be that much, thats just playerbase greed. Cap is fine where it is
    • Like x 5
  13. nawanda Loyal Player

These items are just traded off the broker rather than on it. The cap is a hindrance to these trades taking place above the cap, but it doesn’t stop them from taking place entirely. It isn’t greed to want to sell something for as much as someone will pay, but even if it was, then what exactly is your motivation for wanting to keep these transactions off the broker? In the real world, I can’t afford a luxury supercar, and might happen to think the manufacturers are greedy. If I were the government, would I be justified in regulating to stop them from finding their buyers? Would you?

If I want to sell something for a certain price and someone else is willing to pay that price, can you provide a rational reason why this transaction should not take place on the broker?
  14. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

So if I happily pay 500m for an item that someone else is happily selling for 500m we are both being "unreasonable?"
  15. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

But your suggest still doesn’t change anything in regards to fixing the issue. Yes in the long run new players can potentially benefit since they too will be able to put items up for any price. However it only keeps encouraging these growing prices which hurts new players and the average player from getting any item that someone wants 2/3/4/5.. maybe even 10 billion for eventually. Prices keep growing because there is no cash sink. Prices keep going up because there are still bots farming/selling cash. You can even argue that prices keep going up because speed hackers are mass farming rate drops and have a stock of items they can make the price for. Instead of continuing to feed into the problems how about the issues getting fixed?
    • Like x 2
  16. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

1) Prices grew because we had a giant cash influx with the exploit and a second one with the escrow release for like a hundred thousand players who were premium. Prices won't grow much further than what they are without a exploit simply because there is no supply and the broker continues to decrease the monetary base. You can't keep increasing prices if there is no one to buy your stuff.

2) Cash sellers don't increase prices, they are just taking money from one side and sending it to another, the demand is roughly the same (In fact cash sellers and broker players in the long term might actually lower inflation by buying and reselling stuff in the broker at a really fast rate, which consumes a big chunck of all currency that goes through them because of the fee). They may have helped spread the issue a years ago by selling the fake cash, but it's too late to find a solution for that now.

3) The more items available the lower the price. If for a reason one has a bunch of items, they will just keep cutting others stuff to sell them faster. It makes no sense to get 20 of the same item and overprice it on the broker just to lose the 5%. It's always optimal to either put them at a reasonable price or cut someone's price to sell faster so you can sell more.

I know the issue is rough, but there will be no quick price lowering until the trillions of fake printed cash are gone from the economy, which is almost impossible at this rate. What is happening with the game isn't fast growing inflation, it's just a REALLY BIG monetary base. It looks worse because the really rare items are very demanded and cost IRL money, so the community has inflated them more in the past than they did inflate stuff like catalysts, that are widely available, but there is no solution to that besides increasing drop rates of rare items and decreasing their IRL price, which daybreak won't do.

I don't there is a way to fix this issue right now, that's why I think increasing the cap is the best way to help sink cash in the broker and let players keep trading confortable.
  17. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That still doesn't change the fact that it doesnt do anything for the economy. There are many ways to fix game economies. This game just happens to have 0 way to do so.
  18. PrincessBunny Well-Known Player

Any chance of a league prestige increase or removing the cap? pretty please :)
    • Like x 1
  19. nawanda Loyal Player

Reading through this thread, there are a number of responses which seem to be citing reasons to do with price increases as a reason not to lift the cap.

One thing has little to do with the other. The reason for price increases is:
    1) legacy cash from prior exploits - more of a problem on the US server
    2) new cash is introduced into the economy every time a player kills an add. The longer the game persists, the more cash is introduced over time.

There are only three ways cash leaves the economy:
    1) vendor and repair costs
    2) broker listing fees
    3) developer intervention

My proposal to increase the caps was not designed to, and nor will it, force prices up. The market value of an item will not increase because it is listed on the broker rather than in a trade chat message. If a seller can’t find a buyer at the price they are asking, the item will not sell. If they can find a buyer, then that’s a functioning free market and I haven’t read a post from anyone yet explaining why those 1b+ transactions should be excluded from the broker, where the seller will at least pay a listing fee of 50m+, whether the item sells or not.

If someone wants to come up with ways to control the increasing prices, be my guest, either in this thread or in one of your own, but my suggestion is not related to that issue and the two shouldn’t be conflated.
    • Like x 1
  20. Leonite Well-Known Player

IMO, prices are such because there are players willing to pay said price.

However, if players trade instead of using the broker then the 5% cash dump is avoided. 5% of 1B is 50M and is a lot. And then there's the other 5% cash dump for items in the broker that don't sell so sellers have to price items reasonably or at least wisely. On the other hand, trading has no such risks so they can price any item as high as they want.

I, too, would like the broker CAP be increased. The too much cash issue can be addressed later. They do not have to be exclusive of each other.
    • Like x 1