Is legendary membership worth it?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Protofreakification, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Scotty Ohura Well-Known Player

I think this is now the second time this thread has been brought back, let it die.
    • Like x 1
  2. N4TURALKILLER New Player

3. Rusvek New Player

Greatest investment for a active DCUO player
    • Like x 1
  4. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

I've decided that my legendary membership is a waste of money.
    I only ever play 1 or 2 toons.
    My highest? CR 74 controller.
    Can't even get into most T3 raids with that now that OC increased power costs. Everyone wants CR 90+, and will kick a CR 74 troller from the group before queue.
    Why should I pay for content I can't run???
    Dropping sub once it's up.
    My advice to anyone less than CR 90 that asks? Don't sub or drop your sub. Why pay for new content for other people to enjoy, when they kick us newbies from the stuff that's supposed to be our level or even below our level? IF enough of us stop subbing for their benefit, DLCs may slow down enough for us to catch up, then subbing will be worth it again. If the game dies, then they succeeded in what seems to be their primary goal: To keep us out of as much content as they possibly can.
    • Like x 4
  5. Whiteroom New Player

You can run fos with me, I don't mind my weapon. Haven't you played any HT stuff. 74 is a weird point to get stuck. The solo content should get you to ~80
  6. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

I don't exaggerate when I say I used up all the luck I'll ever have in finding my wife. I can live very happily with this arrangement - She's the greatest!

But... In 9 months of play, I've won 4 drops from duos, alerts, and raids. TOTAL. This includes pre-level 30 stuff as well.

The solo content... don't know how it was designed to work, but it's like people's comment on the new loot system: I only get the stuff I can't use.

Other than Sub-Avatar farming at that CR and those 4 drops, I've had to buy everything to have something useful. So, I grow only by MoT, and have never bought more replays than the sub gave me - why bother? I've only used those when someone sends a tell to join their group - usually an alert: Not even the most MoT I should be able to get.

I realize, that 99.9999999999% of the people who play this game (almost everyone else) will have far better luck on loot. No matter how frustrated I get, I'd rather have the wife!

Also: I spent a whole week roaming the Tomorrow District to try to get the Alien Tech collection. I love the Dresden 7 look.... Finally gave up on it. Would anyone like to buy a Besollo Blvd street sign? I'll give you a discount if you buy 100!!! All I did during this week was look for the collection, run alerts when a friend sent a tell, and learn that I can beat the minotaur solo in controller stance. Can't CC him, tho...

In HT... stuck on the last mission before getting gear at both ACE and Strykers... My troller gear just doesn't hit hard enough (I'm used to providing the power to the guys that kill stuff, not killing it myself: I'm like a criminal mastermind who never does his own dirty work.) and I'm too fed up with everything to take the time to buy all dps gear... Just starting over... gonna learn to fire dps... unless I get bored and start over again... took about 20 tries to get the controller I used to love to play... The look... the weapon... the powers... the concept... it all has to be there for me to enjoy the character.

But, with dropping the sub, I won't have the powers (Quantum) or weapon (Shield)... so.... it'll be a while before my new villain gets up to level 30... I'm shooting for at least 75 SP when I get there... and since most SP have to do with luck.................
    • Like x 1
  7. Lepew New Player

Tried the game out on free to play. I liked it. Decided to support this game with a legendary subscription. Not too long ago they laid off 80+ people at SOE. If you find a game you like, and you want it to continue to be good, chip in.
  8. spack2k Steadfast Player

iam using legendary atm only because of the cashcap limit and because i dont want the game to die... but thats because i spend alot of time in dc ...
    once i get some work im sure i will unsubscribe legendary cause i wont have that much time left to play and because of the insufficient benefits the current legendary give...
    • Like x 1
  9. Hallows Eve New Player

If this game was still getting great content like we were getting back in the day with the t1-3 content I'd say yes. However it's not so I would say no. Just buy the dlc's and stay premium. It's way cheaper and you can do all of the content. Being legendary doesn't really change your experience.
    • Like x 1
  10. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Totally worth it IMHO. I started playing before F2P but I would say that Legendary is awesome. Free boxes, SC, replay badges, and early access to the newest content. How could you go wrong?
  11. Anarcho-Captain New Player

I reserved the game before it came out, without doing enough research on it to know it was a pay to play game. I played it a bit when I had that first month, but didn't really care because I was so bummed out that it wasn't free to play that my mentality of it all was "what's the point? Everything I work for now won't be accessible in a short while." So I dropped it.

When the moved over to free to play, I was overjoyed! Finally, I could play this game I had just lying around for what seemed like years (though it wasn't). Since I reserved the game when it came out, I was given a 1 month free Legendary Membership but didn't realize it. I did realize it when I was bumped to Premium & noticed the difference. The amount of work you'd need to put in to get the good gear changed from "climbing a mountain" to "going to Mars." (I only play the game a few hours a day)

After getting a character to that ceiling where the difference between Premium & Legendary matters, I started debating with myself whether or not to take the plunge. It's $15. That's a serious commitment to me (if you don't understand that, you're WAY better off than you think & you don't understand the problems America really has right now... which aren't going to get better, by the way.. but that's a whole other thing). But I found a way to make $15 non-disruptive to my paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle.

AND I'M GLAD I DID. After having zero access to the DLC & not being able to buy things that cost more than $2000, the game now has SOOO much more to give. It really doesn't take much reasoning to understand that it's worth it if you REALLY want to play this game. If you've considered EVER purchasing 1 DLC or 1 Escrow access pass, then you should slap yourself & realize that a monthly subscription isn't very much more & there's way more benefit to it.

I'm sure you can find SOMETHING to cut out of your life that's equal to $15. Getting fast food 2 or 3 times a month. For me, if I get fast food for my wife, son, & myself, that's about $20. And it's not good for you anyway. It really just depends on how much you want to play this game. 1 out of 10, 10 being the highest: if you'd say you're a 6 or more, DO IT!
  12. supernova6423 New Player

One month of legendary is $15. Put in $3 more, and that's three months of Playstation Plus. That's three months of a couple of free games. One year of legendary is $110. With that, you can get TWO YEARS of Playstation Plus, along with dozens and dozens of games for free. Legendary membership is not worth it.
    • Like x 3
  13. Bytecode Well-Known Player

I know exactly what you're saying. I face the same issue here, and my highest toon is a troll at 65cr.

In the beginning I was very excited about the game, but the more I played the more I spent time thinking if I should keep paying. If you want to give it a try, I'd definitely recommend trying one month first - and be aware it's auto renewed by default.
    • Like x 1
  14. Morph509 New Player

Think of it this way, you pay $60 for a game that will update once a year for 2 years until it dies. OR you pay for DCUO to always keep knew things coming which there for makes it more fun. Take a look at the bigger picture. Yes $15 a month is dear after 3 years, in the end World of Warcraft is the best game on PC DUE TO THE FACT OF THEIR INCOME. Even Call of Duty does the same thing with maps which makes more money than on the actual sale of the game. So you either complain and not pay for a good game then go buy one that gets boring in 2 months, OR you pay to play to keep up the entertainment. Your call
    • Like x 1
  15. Blue Lantern New Player

i ffeel it is NOT worth it because of the money cap.this pops the nerve and tells me that they are enticing too far!either take that out of a free dlc or something.I have NEVER seen a game with a money cap and this one seriously annoys me.and i dont mean to complain alot so please dont take as mean
    • Like x 1
  16. Decree New Player

I recently stopped being legendary for the first time since beta because there isn't really a point to it when you take a wide angle look at the state of the game.

The 500sc/150 replays you can already buy for $10 a month if you want them (not counting the sales like the %50 off right now. Save your money for the sales and load up.)

You can get prom box styles through trading bits. (Big mistake by the game. Only subscribers should have auras)

You end up paying $5 a month just for unlimited cash when If you want it just wait for a sale and buy an unlimited escro for next to nothing. Or trade for what you need

Unless you are the leader of a league there is no reason or Incentive to be legendary anymore.

Premiums can better take advantage of sales and get better perks. Did I mention they got a free month of legendary this month and the subscribers got a useless trinket.
    • Like x 1
  17. Phantasy2013 Dedicated Player

Yes and I enjoy the perks. I look forward to more in the far future, but I will be renewing soon, but for a year legendary sub in January 2014.

I am just one for being grateful and enjoying the game for what it has and not for what it doesn't.

It's about time I show more of my appreciation for this awesome game and it's devs.

#DCUOFTW2014
  18. OnceUponATime Dedicated Player

My general criteria on things like this is to equate it to other entertainment. For example, will I get as much enjoyment out of DCUO as I would from (for example) a trip to the cinema? If I go there, I'm gonna pay tickets and popcorn and drinks and it's gonna give me a couple of hours of entertainment. If I pay up for DCUO which will probably cost me about the same I will get a chunk more than an evening's entertainment so I reckon it's worth it. Even if I pay for my whole family to play, it'd still cost less than a day out and we'll probably have many more hours playing together out of it.

Mostly, people don't sit and agonise over whether going to the cinema or having a day out with their family is "worth it", they just pay up and have fun. The "value" of anything to you is entirely subjective - nobody else can tell you if it will be worth it *for you*. If you can afford it, try it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, cancel it. Simple. :)
  19. winter13 New Player

Not really sure where you are getting 300. I get 500 SC, which I buy 150 replay badges with. That is all you get
  20. BladeStorm New Player

Not at all. All the DLC you get access to goes away if you ever stop subscribing. I found that out the hard way. I suggest saving yourself and INSANE amount of money and just buy what you want seperately. Even if you buy ALL THE DLC your still breaking even at the end of a year.
    • Like x 1