Is it time to say goodbye to PS3 yet???

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jacob Dragonhunter, Jun 26, 2017.

1. IamINC Dedicated Player

Pretty sure the PS3 has the second largest player base next to PS4 so dropping it would be equivalent to the game committing suicide.

It's a shame they can't update the unreal game engine to the newest version.
  2. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

This, ten thousand times.

And will it sound better when they say "we don't have the manpower" or "sales department does not see such a huge upgrade refinancing itself in any way" etc? Or if they directly go to "well, the PS4/Xbone couldn't handle that in a satisfying way"?
    • Like x 1
  3. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Problem is the gaming market itself. Many types of games haven't moved yet to PS4, great games on the PS3 I might add. Sony themselves didn't manage to get a Gran Turismo out for the PS4 yet, and that's after 3.5 years. There was just recently a tennis game becoming available on PS4, and it's a shabby nintendo style one, not a licensed ATP/WTA star product like 2K used to do. Red Dead Redemption will make it to the PS4 at the end of this year, etc.

Have these move to the PS4, and more players will move as well. In the end, it's the games itself that sell a console, not the tech specifications. Imagine a company releases a gaming console with the power of 32 GB RAM and two Intel i7 cores insides, for about 350 bucks - but the only game available for it would be "Chess" for the first year. The real sales would start later, not at release.

I myself did not get a PS4 for (just) DCUO because DCUO was not worth that, and still isn't. But there were some other games and DCUO moved alongside.
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Ya wanna know why there has been 80 million console sales for the PS3? Do Ya? Do ya really? Here goes: it's been out for eleven damn years!!!!!
    Like your flippy-fone, it got an upgrade, called the PS4!!
    • Like x 1
  5. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

[IMG]
    Got several updates since released, yet I bet most would prefer this one over the actual version.... :p

Just because there is an update, it doesn't need to be the better thing for some people. If it's a Windows update, it's sometimes not the better thing for anyone except those working at Microsoft....
  6. light FX Steadfast Player

Definitely not the answer im thinking of :p More along the lines of this game needs every player it can get ;)
    • Like x 3
  7. light FX Steadfast Player

So then how come the stat revamp is used as an excuse for pretty much everything when it comes to these forums? Whenever any issue is brought up someone is super quick to bring up "they are working on the stat revamp and dont have time for anything else."
    • Like x 2
  8. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Be careful what you write and how you write it. All I'm gonna say here.

How people are still playing on PS3 at this stage, the game must be nearly impossible to play. But no need to insult.
  9. DC Urban Committed Player

I agree. Everything you just posted in 100% correct and perhaps factual, but that has nothing to do with the ps3....

Their ineptitude within development makes the ps3 the least of their worries. I am aware it is difficult for them, that their team is small, or divided, but that is not a ps3 issue...
  10. megamanzero Loyal Player

Lol more like realist.
  11. BumblingB I got better.

Because the stat revamp requires too many resources at once. The only people that aren't being used is the art team, which I'm sure they have them working on something else to add.

I'll reword that, because they can only focus on one thing at a time. It's probably best this way.
    • Like x 1
  12. High Troller Loyal Player

My work's WiFi filters this website. Is this graphic inappropriate?
  13. Gimpy Loyal Player

Maybe they filtered it for "mild violence" since Pooh is beating Eeyore with a bat.

Talk with your IT guys, maybe they could get these PS3 threads that pop up every 3 weeks to be filtered as well!
    • Like x 2
  14. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Well put. The PS3 currently has a higher market saturation than the PS4 and Xbox One.

There also would be lost revenue to take into account if Daybreak stopped supporting or shut down the PS3 servers.

Although Sony has stopped production on all PS3 units manufactured in japan.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...y-ends-production-PlayStation-Plus-update/amp
    They haven't officially announced the end of support for the console.

Let's go ahead and get hypothetical though and say that Sony and Daybreak end all support for PS3 tomorrow... A developer recently said that developing games to work on consoles (this includes both the PS4 and the Xbox One) is what takes up a large portion of development time.
    http://www.vg247.com/2017/06/22/ps4-is-like-a-five-year-old-pc-says-a-way-out-developer/

So should we all go out and buy Personal Computers because even the PS4 Pro and the upcoming Xbox One X - the supposed most powerful console will not even light a candle to a powerful 2017 PC?

Also note that not everyone has a disposable income to afford them a shiny new console. Heck, some of my most viewed YouTube videos are of games played on a PS2. Have you ever wondered why GameStop still wants your old PS3 and PS2 units? In other parts of the world those units are still being played on a daily basis and the best part for consumers is that you can get good deals on the vast majority of those titles.

As the old saying goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure."
  15. GhostsAndMagic Dedicated Player

The **** are they gonna do, it's an mmo it's not like they can just give it the gta online treatment and stop doing major updates without making an old-gen server or something
  16. Proxystar #Perception

You use a flip phone... gross
    • Like x 2
  17. Proxystar #Perception

No one man's trash is still trash; its just some people can only afford trash ;)
    • Like x 1
  18. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Its not an insult. It is a very realistic fact.
    • Like x 1
  19. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

More like realist ps3 player. Sure ppl will still use the ps3 even right before they stop supporting it. Someone has to make the hard choices for future console advancement. If it was up to the consumers then old servers and support would never shutdown. The ps3 has had the lifespan of 11 years...technology moves on and old tech becomes obsolete and is trashed. Thats how tech works. So they can look at the numbers all they want but as a console tech company you have to move forward, drop the old console, and start financing the next best thing or your competitor will. Maybe people can back off on buying $200 in stabilizers and save up for a ps4 which at most is like $150.
    • Like x 1
  20. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

But that would be Sony's decision to make, not Daybreaks. I expect it before 2020, but as many people already pointed out: the market share of the PS3 is quite impressive, and some companies still develop new games for it, despite being in competition with its successor for 3.5 years now.

And that would totally NOT be in Daybreak's best interest.

Which sums up to: your "realism" is the dreaming here. Dreaming of a DCUO that gets more out of your PC than the current version - which is totally understandable from a player's point of view. Businesswise, however.... well, your last sentence does a good job of positioning you from the business POV. And last time I checked, most of the world lived in capitalism, so business is the reality, and quality products are (customer) wishes. And until customers learn in a significant majority (well over 50% - not just barely or being the biggest minority in a split between more different customer groups) to keep their wallets closed until a product is at least to 80% to their likings in quality, content, approach, marketing etc. the reality is modelled from a business POV.

And that POV says: there are more millions of customers sitting on a PS3 waiting to be nickle-and-dime'd than on the PS4 or on XBone. Bad decision to exclude those potential customers, worse even if they are already actual customers, not "tough".

I expect a lot of players to make the move to the PS4 by Christmas, but that depends a lot on how some games will be received, games like Gran Turismo Sport, Red Dead Redemption 2, and if/when the VR stuff will finally come up with something that deserves noting instead of "oh, it's 3D inside those goggles now". Majority of VR titles are a waste currently, IMO.

Next year this time, there may be a solid base business-wise to think about dropping the PS3 - if DCUO is still alive then, which IMO will only be the case if statsmatter did not make it to live servers til then ;)